I know this girl who smells

Options
newmeadow
newmeadow Posts: 1,295 Member
Let's just say that I know her professionally.

When she stands near me I notice she smells like a sour dishrag. The first time I thought I must be mistaken because she appears to be well groomed and bright. But after the 2nd, 3rd & 4th time I knew it was her.

I'm pretty sure the odor comes from the coat that she wears which might be a hand-me-down and probably requires dry cleaning which she can't afford.

I just want to buy her a coat but we're not allowed to do that. Also I'd pay for the dry cleaning of the coat but we're not allowed to do that either. Plus I don't know how I would discreetly explain why I'd be picking up the cleaning tab anyway without hurting her feelings.

This scenario doesn't bug me about too many people, but it does about this woman in particular. It seems all wrong that she goes around smelling like this - like it really shouldn't be.

Replies

• newmeadow
    Options
    iMago wrote: »
    just start coughing rudely when she's around you. like not guarding your mouth at all.
    that's what i do when I'm crowded and want some space. might work well for you though - basically you can condition her to stay away from you if you keep it up

No no I really like her and I want to help her out if I can. I'm not bothered by body odors. I'm always confronted with them in the type of work that I do and I'm unphased by them in a professional setting.

I just know that everywhere she goes on the outside they're probably talking about her and avoiding her and it bugs me because I really like her.
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    just start coughing rudely when she's around you. like not guarding your mouth at all.
    that's what i do when I'm crowded and want some space. might work well for you though - basically you can condition her to stay away from you if you keep it up

No no I really like her and I want to help her out if I can. I'm not bothered by body odors. I'm always confronted with them in the type of work that I do and I'm unphased by them in a professional setting.

I just know that everywhere she goes on the outside they're probably talking about her and avoiding her and it bugs me because I really like her.

oh okay i understand. well the best answer is the simplest. just tell her you'd like to get her a gift for xmas and get her a new coat regardless of what the work rules are. you're smart and could figure out how to do it without getting caught.
  • newmeadow
    Options
    What if you "accidentally" spill something on her coat then offer to have it dry cleaned?

That's a thought. Its like a scene out of a Meg Ryan movie.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    that's what i do when I'm crowded and want some space
    . might work well for you though - basically you can condition her to stay away from you if you keep it up

This is genius advice! I always want more personal space...why not gross people out to stay their distance! I love it!
    Or I could start my cry-laughing I suppose
  • newmeadow
    Options

oh okay i understand. well the best answer is the simplest. just tell her you'd like to get her a gift for xmas and get her a new coat regardless of what the work rules are. you're smart and could figure out how to do it without getting caught.

💜
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    that's what i do when I'm crowded and want some space
    . might work well for you though - basically you can condition her to stay away from you if you keep it up

This is genius advice! I always want more personal space...why not gross people out to stay their distance! I love it!
    Or I could start my cry-laughing I suppose

tbf i stole the idea from the movie Ghost
  • Vikka_V
    Options

When she stands near me I notice she smells like a sour dishrag. The first time I thought I must be mistaken because she appears to be well groomed and bright. But after the 2nd, 3rd & 4th time I knew it was her.

I'm pretty sure the odor comes from the coat that she wears which might be a hand-me-down and probably requires dry cleaning which she can't afford.

I just want to buy her a coat but we're not allowed to do that. Also I'd pay for the dry cleaning of the coat but we're not allowed to do that either. Plus I don't know how I would discreetly explain why I'd be picking up the cleaning tab anyway without hurting her feelings.

This scenario doesn't bug me about too many people, but it does about this woman in particular. It seems all wrong that she goes around smelling like this - like it really shouldn't be.

I feel you pain.
    I work with one woman who's belongings smell like cat pee. My not so subtle co worker has tried on many occasions to tell her, but she seems oblivious which makes me wonder if it's just normal for her. So ya, I just l let it go.

Have had several co-op students at my work that smell like greasy dirty hair, why not washing your hair is a 'thing' I'll never understand. I was reprimanded recently by my hairstylist for daily washing (didn't admit to sometimes twice daily)
  • Vikka_V
    Options
    What if you "accidentally" spill something on her coat then offer to have it dry cleaned?

Clever!!
    Reminded me, I used to "accidentally" break dishes when my stepmother made me do them all the time
  • newmeadow
    Options

I feel you pain.
    I work with one woman who's belongings smell like cat pee. My not so subtle co worker has tried on many occasions to tell her, but she seems oblivious which makes me wonder if it's just normal for her. So ya, I just l let it go.

Have had several co-op students at my work that smell like greasy dirty hair, why not washing your hair is a 'thing' I'll never understand. I was reprimanded recently by my hairstylist for daily washing (didn't admit to sometimes twice daily)

That's weird. I can't smell greasy hair. I known other people who say they can smell that but for some reason I can't.

Also I forgot you have to smell stinky dog bums all day when you work.

I also knew a lady who smelled like cat pee because she threw all her clothes on the floor and on furniture and her cat wasn't box trained.

She got fired from two jobs because of it so I decided to get frank with her and tell her outright so I did. Let's just say I regretted doing that.
  • newmeadow
    Options
    Secretly find out what size she wears then buy her a coat and have it sent to your office gift wrapped, without your name on it.

Awesome. That could work.
  • Nicksmom106
    Nicksmom106 Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Secretly find out what size she wears then buy her a coat and have it sent to your office gift wrapped, without your name on it.

giphy.gif
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,066 Member
    Options

I think this is the best suggestion.

It isn't breaking the rules like buying her a new coat ( anonymously or otherwise) would be or like just offering to do it would be.

It is just covering the costs for your "mistake"
  • Vikka_V
    Options

I feel you pain.

That's weird. I can't smell greasy hair. I known other people who say they can smell that but for some reason I can't.

I also knew a lady who smelled like cat pee because she threw all her clothes on the floor and on furniture and her cat wasn't box trained.

She got fired from two jobs because of it so I decided to get frank with her and tell her outright so I did. Let's just say I regretted doing that.

The hair smell, it's just some people I guess. I know several girls who wash their hair very infrequently and don't stink, but some people do...and I wonder if it's your 'normal' do you notice?

Stinky dog/cat bums are gross for sure, but my worst, worst work smell is yeasty skin/ears...that I can barely handle.

Some of the people I know from work that smell the worst are in animal hoarding situations and probably it's just 'normal' to them.

I get what you're saying, I want to tell them, but how to tactfully? Or should you? And...do I smell?
  • newmeadow
    Options

I feel you pain.

The hair smell, it's just some people I guess. I know several girls who wash their hair very infrequently and don't stink, but some people do...and I wonder if it's your 'normal' do you notice?

Stinky dog/cat bums are gross for sure, but my worst, worst work smell is yeasty skin/ears...that I can barely handle.

Some of the people I know from work that smell the worst are in animal hoarding situations and probably it's just 'normal' to them.

I get what you're saying, I want to tell them, but how to tactfully? Or should you? And...do I smell?

No you do not smell.

About that yeasty smell though, yeah. I didn't know animals got that.

I was doing a full body skin check once and apparently there was a yeast overgrowth under the breast folds. The unexpected whiff of that was the only time I had to back away so quickly I almost lost my balance and hit the floor. I'll be forever scarred by the experience.
  • DaytimeDuchess
    DaytimeDuchess Posts: 34 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Plausibly it might be her choice, of hygienic supplies! 1 day people that liked me, disliked me {as, if}, knew me & didn't know me, all asked me if a dog had peed upon me? It was also the 1st time that I tried Nautica perfume, it obviously doesn't compliment my body chemistry & worse, I didn't notice the foul odor myself!
  • newmeadow
    Options
    Plausibly it might be her choice, of hygienic supplies! 1 day people that liked me, disliked me {as if}, knew me & didn't know me, all asked me if a dog had peed upon me? It was also the 1st time that I tried Nautica perfume, it obviously doesn't compliment my body chemistry & worse, I didn't notice the foul odor myself!

Nautica smells like dog pee on you? That is just wrong. There should be a warning on the label.