I know this girl who smells

Options

Replies

• slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    Secretly find out what size she wears then buy her a coat and have it sent to your office gift wrapped, without your name on it.

Yep.. I like this
  • DaytimeDuchess
    DaytimeDuchess Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Plausibly it might be her choice, of hygienic supplies! 1 day people that liked me, disliked me {as if}, knew me & didn't know me, all asked me if a dog had peed upon me? It was also the 1st time that I tried Nautica perfume, it obviously doesn't compliment my body chemistry & worse, I didn't notice the foul odor myself!

Nautica smells like dog pee on you? That is just wrong. There should be a warning on the label.

Yeah but since I didn't notice it, I continued to wear it until the bottle was empty! I didn't have any friends, that Summer!
  • newmeadow
    newmeadow Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options
    Plausibly it might be her choice, of hygienic supplies! 1 day people that liked me, disliked me {as if}, knew me & didn't know me, all asked me if a dog had peed upon me? It was also the 1st time that I tried Nautica perfume, it obviously doesn't compliment my body chemistry & worse, I didn't notice the foul odor myself!

Nautica smells like dog pee on you? That is just wrong. There should be a warning on the label.

Yeah but since I didn't notice it, I continued to wear it until the bottle was empty! I didn't have any friends, that Summer!

Next time go with Chanel No. 5 or Opium body creme by Yves Saint Laurent.
  • tarcotti
    tarcotti Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    It also reminds me of when I ran two miles on a treadmill after eating a large bag of Funyons the night before. I was furious because I thought one of the two people alongside me were stankin' up the joint something awful and how could they go around smelling like that. I didn't make the connection until hours later that onion funk seeps out of your pores. Not just your breath

Lol, this thread was good for a laugh. Especially the Funyons comment. I'm adding you as a friend hahaha.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    She probably doesn't realise that the coat smells. Sometimes when I sit on the bus there's the same thing - clean looking well groomed pretty young lady and this sort of musty old sweaty clothes not washed with washing powder kind of smell.

I used to do martial arts with this guy who didn't believe in soap. He had normal sweat smell, but his clothes - OMG - like when he got in the car with us for a lift to the station even in the middle of winter we'd have to crank open the car windows because his clothes were sooooo gross smelling. Worse that body - that was fine, just normal body smell and not terrible or anything - but the clothes..... GAG.
  • newmeadow
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    She probably doesn't realise that the coat smells. Sometimes when I sit on the bus there's the same thing - clean looking well groomed pretty young lady and this sort of musty old sweaty clothes not washed with washing powder kind of smell.

I used to do martial arts with this guy who didn't believe in soap. He had normal sweat smell, but his clothes - OMG - like when he got in the car with us for a lift to the station even in the middle of winter we'd have to crank open the car windows because his clothes were sooooo gross smelling. Worse that body - that was fine, just normal body smell and not terrible or anything - but the clothes..... GAG.

I'm not offended by a fresh sweat smell in a social setting, but the stale sweat smell reeks of neglect. I can always tell when my dishrags and dish sponges get that sour tinge to them.

I once read a book by a well known vegan in the 80s who also didn't believe in soap.

She said dry sloughing with an organic loofah and then rinsing down with water was more effective than soap because the entire layer of dead skin cells was lifted away. But she also didn't believe in deodorant and said to rub your armpits with crystals instead. I tried it but I still smelled so it didn't really work.
  • RomaineCalm
    RomaineCalm Posts: 3,972 Member
    Options
    It also reminds me of when I ran two miles on a treadmill after eating a large bag of Funyons the night before. I was furious because I thought one of the two people alongside me were stankin' up the joint something awful and how could they go around smelling like that. I didn't make the connection until hours later that onion funk seeps out of your pores. Not just your breath

This. This was....hilarious.
  • RomaineCalm
    RomaineCalm Posts: 3,972 Member
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    Let's just say that I know her professionally.

When she stands near me I notice she smells like a sour dishrag. The first time I thought I must be mistaken because she appears to be well groomed and bright. But after the 2nd, 3rd & 4th time I knew it was her.

I'm pretty sure the odor comes from the coat that she wears which might be a hand-me-down and probably requires dry cleaning which she can't afford.

I just want to buy her a coat but we're not allowed to do that. Also I'd pay for the dry cleaning of the coat but we're not allowed to do that either. Plus I don't know how I would discreetly explain why I'd be picking up the cleaning tab anyway without hurting her feelings.

This scenario doesn't bug me about too many people, but it does about this woman in particular. It seems all wrong that she goes around smelling like this - like it really shouldn't be.

I feel you pain.
    I work with one woman who's belongings smell like cat pee. My not so subtle co worker has tried on many occasions to tell her, but she seems oblivious which makes me wonder if it's just normal for her. So ya, I just l let it go.

Have had several co-op students at my work that smell like greasy dirty hair, why not washing your hair is a 'thing' I'll never understand. I was reprimanded recently by my hairstylist for daily washing (didn't admit to sometimes twice daily)

That's weird. I can't smell greasy hair. I known other people who say they can smell that but for some reason I can't.

Also I forgot you have to smell stinky dog bums all day when you work.

I also knew a lady who smelled like cat pee because she threw all her clothes on the floor and on furniture and her cat wasn't box trained.

She got fired from two jobs because of it so I decided to get frank with her and tell her outright so I did. Let's just say I regretted doing that.

The hair smell, it's just some people I guess. I know several girls who wash their hair very infrequently and don't stink, but some people do...and I wonder if it's your 'normal' do you notice?

Stinky dog/cat bums are gross for sure, but my worst, worst work smell is yeasty skin/ears...that I can barely handle.

Some of the people I know from work that smell the worst are in animal hoarding situations and probably it's just 'normal' to them.

I get what you're saying, I want to tell them, but how to tactfully? Or should you? And...do I smell?

No you do not smell.

About that yeasty smell though, yeah. I didn't know animals got that.

I was doing a full body skin check once and apparently there was a yeast overgrowth under the breast folds. The unexpected whiff of that was the time I had to back away so quickly I almost lost my balance and hit the floor. I'll be forever scarred by the experience.

Omg you’re killing me. :D:D
  • bojack5
    bojack5 Posts: 2,859 Member
    Options

When she stands near me I notice she smells like a sour dishrag. The first time I thought I must be mistaken because she appears to be well groomed and bright. But after the 2nd, 3rd & 4th time I knew it was her.

I'm pretty sure the odor comes from the coat that she wears which might be a hand-me-down and probably requires dry cleaning which she can't afford.

I just want to buy her a coat but we're not allowed to do that. Also I'd pay for the dry cleaning of the coat but we're not allowed to do that either. Plus I don't know how I would discreetly explain why I'd be picking up the cleaning tab anyway without hurting her feelings.

This scenario doesn't bug me about too many people, but it does about this woman in particular. It seems all wrong that she goes around smelling like this - like it really shouldn't be.

"Accidentally" spill something on her coat, then insist on having it cleaned for her as you apologize profusely.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    iMago wrote: »
    just start coughing rudely when she's around you. like not guarding your mouth at all.
    that's what i do when I'm crowded and want some space. might work well for you though - basically you can condition her to stay away from you if you keep it up

Yeah. That'll work.

I know that when I am walking down the street, smoking a cigar, and some person gives me that fake cough, I just think they're a-holes.
  • _BlahBlah_BlackSheep_
    _BlahBlah_BlackSheep_ Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Where does she hang her coat when she's not wearing it? Wait until she leaves the room and then spray it with Febreeze.
  • newmeadow
    Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »

I also knew a lady who smelled like cat pee because she threw all her clothes on the floor and on furniture and her cat wasn't box trained.

This just brought back a terrible memory of a lady I worked with while I was in high school. She walked up to me one day and shoved her sleeve in my face and then said "I think my cat peed in my dryer!" She was dead serious and didn't see at all how screwed up that was.

People say cats are the cleanest animals all fussy about grooming and careful toileting and stuff. And then stories like this come along. It seems like more and more cats have lost their minds.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Ewww. It is hard to let someone know that without offending. Leave an anonymous note.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I like the Secret Santa gift idea. She may be aware that her coat smells but is unable to really remedy it.

Acts of kindness, people. If you gots the means, pay it forward.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Leave a gift card for a local dry cleaner on her desk?
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Leave a gift card for a local dry cleaner on her desk?

What if she takes something else to get dry cleaned and not the coat?
  • newmeadow
    Options
    I don't work in an office setting and I haven't seen her lately. It's a come and go environment and I think I missed any opportunity I might have had.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options

Her Laundromat or front loader needs to be cleaned. Mold/mildew from improper drying could also be at issue with sour stench.

As Vikka shared on another thread, stinky hair can smell really noxious.

Some people don't re-launder winter clothing when they take it out of storage ... They just wear it. Could be her issue.

Am supportive of paying for her dry cleaning, and Secret Santa, only that as an early child boarder (boarding school), subtle hints do not work beyond that one time. They relapse - some are comforted by their scents, the stench of sour mildew. They may get their hair, nails and pedi done, yet neglect that.

Sweet of you @newmeadow to even care enough to want to help her.

My tip: I would just let her know. Frontal awareness translates to her being more proactive dealing with it. I can't help but wonder, most especially on the East Coast, about her living conditions and whether she can afford getting it cleaned. Stale sweat can also take on a sour-like stench. Poor woman.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options

This just brought back a terrible memory of a lady I worked with while I was in high school. She walked up to me one day and shoved her sleeve in my face and then said "I think my cat peed in my dryer!" She was dead serious and didn't see at all how screwed up that was.

People say cats are the cleanest animals all fussy about grooming and careful toileting and stuff. And then stories like this come along. It seems like more and more cats have lost their minds.

Apparently that cat thought the clean clothes in the dryer were the toilet? I don't know, but who leaves their dryer door standing open all the time? Especially with animals? This was like a lifetime ago and I am still a bit salty about it....

Reminds me of an Eat Train Progress photo sharing ... Someone made rice in a rice cooker, left the lid open, and the cat took a #2 on top of the cooked rice. Both gross and hilarious, like why leave it open ... Not the cat's fault.