HELP :(

Options
So I am just joining back here after a good 2+ years away. 2 babies and a ton of weight later I come back and see that since I was last in, i have gained 15lbs. But, I need to loose a good 30! I have been trying to stick to a low carb diet (though tend to cheat on weekends), I dont want to deprive myself and the odd weekend will still have drinks and snack with friends/family. I really havent worked out in years and last time i tried right after the post partum all clear I was in terrible pain with my hips but knees especially. Since then i have seen and gotten the okay from physio and chiro to start working out again. The problem is the gym intimidates me so I stick to what I know which is cardio type machines or the simple weight circuit machines. I went today and did 20mins walking at 3.2 on the treadmill and another 20mins on the arc..i worked up a sweat but nothing is high intensity and I feel like i couldnt do high intensity without dying. What is the best workouts for an out of shape, over weight mom to do that are effective to get back in shape without injuring myself or going into cardiac arrest?? Lol

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    First off, the most bang for your buck is your diet, so don't let exercise issues make you feel so defeated you put off losing the weight. Log your food, hit your calorie goal, and you will see progress!

Anyway, you don't have to do high intensity anything, and honestly you really shouldn't start off that way. Just walk! You don't even have to go to the gym for that. Strap a toddler into a stroller and push it around the block, or through the mall. Focus on something light and simple that just gets you moving around and burning a few calories. Once you get acclimated to that, then you can start to build up to something more.

I'm sure you'll get more specific replies from other women who have started working out after maternity. Congratulations and good luck!
  • KristaMac88
    KristaMac88 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I am definitely more focused on my diet, as I know there were days on end id live off junk and caffeine. But I am definitely noticing the effects of my weight/cut when im bending over to do something or walking up a flight of stairs, especially while carrying a child lol its so sad how out of breath I get. I am not focused on muscle or getting abs anytime soon, just getting my cardio up a bit and it helping to get me moving and lose weight. I just hear so much that you should be lifting weights and stuff over cardio for weight loss.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Kathryn247 wrote: »
    Walking is great exercise, and it's low impact so it shouldn't aggravate any medical conditions. Distance is more important than speed.
    10,000 steps a day!

• KristaMac88
    Options
    oh my! I dont have anything that counts steps atm i dont think but would be interesting to see how much I actually do now that im back to work!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,064 Member
    Options
    oh my! I dont have anything that counts steps atm i dont think but would be interesting to see how much I actually do now that im back to work!

Most phones can count steps these days (iPhone has Apple Health Kit; Samsung has SHealth; Other Androids: GoogleFit)
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options

I believe MapMyFitness app counts steps, distance, route and time and it syncs with mfp.
  • KristaMac88
    Options
    Thank you all! and I will look into the Mapmyfitness!
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Everyone has shared good ideas. I guess here is a generic summary which I even have to remind myself at times.

Weight loss is as simple as calories in vs. calories out. Consume less calories to lose weight. Consume more to gain.
    Don't weigh yourself daily as there are so many variables that go into it...mainly water retention.
    Exercise should be fun! Do what you enjoy and don't worry about what others are doing.
    Lastly, keep it simple!
  • KristaMac88
    Options
    So true! I guess we just have to realize as much as we want it to be results arnt going to be instant overnight!!
  • PigHerder
    PigHerder Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    jmule24 wrote: »
    Don't weigh yourself daily as there are so many variables that go into it...mainly water retention.

This is personal choice I think, and probably depends on what kind of person you are. Personally, I like to weigh myself first thing every morning and log my weight on the Happy Scale app. It smooths out all the fluctuations, and shows me my overall trend, which I find weirdly comforting, especially on days when my weight doesn't change or jumps up a little bit (which is totally normal). I like seeing all the data, and it has completely taken away the fear of the scales. Now, we're buddies, and partners on this interesting journey.
  • KristaMac88
    Options
    I like to weigh myself as well. I can tell from my stomach if ive lost water weight even if the scale doesnt move, but where I dont work out and lift weights like crazy, I know if the scale is going up, its not from muscle building. its from me falling off track. So it guilts me into getting back on track.
  • _aenyeweddien_
    _aenyeweddien_ Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    why not try some classes in the gym to ease into it a bit?
  • PhilP0wer
    PhilP0wer Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Jump rope. Good workout, doesn't require a gym.
  • MarvinsFitLife
    MarvinsFitLife Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Add me for support