Self conscious at the gym

Options

Replies

• amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I personally think that mirrors are a valuable resource for helping me to maintain proper form.
    Poor form leads to less success, at best, and injury at worst.

It's work to workout, and I'm a big believer in working smarter, not harder.

IF I were influenced by what others think of what they see of me, I'd prefer to do one perfect squat while watching my form in a mirror, than to do 10 sloppy squats because I wanted to minimize my workout-in-public-view.

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! It’s reassuring to know that most people don’t care what you are doing. I didn’t want to sound self absorbed I am just genuinely unconfident, and I want to change that. You guys def inspired me!

I think you will find that most people at the gym are super nice, supportive and helpful. Most will not notice you and if they do, they are noticing your hard work and effort just to show up and try. I used to be self conscious about failing a lift with other people around. But I can't tell you how amazing it is when people notice you struggling and stop what they are doing to encourage you. It's made the difference between failing a lift and giving that extra umpf to grind it out. Instead of feeling self-conscious that people are watching me, it makes me feel supported.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Great discussion!!!!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    The majority of the people in any given gym are just as self-conscious as you are - you just don't realize it. The others who aren't are focused on their workouts and hardly even aware of what's going on around them unless somebody does something extraordinarily stupid.
  • AndThenIWoreIt
    AndThenIWoreIt Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Keep going and let time do its wonders — it will simply become your new normal, and then you’ll have a hard time even remembering why you thought it might be weird.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Can you schedule a personal training session at your gym? When I was starting out I found that working out with a trainer made me feel less intimidated and self-conscious. Now that I know what I'm doing I don't give it a second thought.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Another vote for having a few sessions with a trainer. Great investment!
  • candycrush1971
    candycrush1971 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It gets easier with time. I've learned that the people there, are usually there to get a workout in and aren't paying attention to others. I know when I'm working hard, I'm too busy to even see who's doing what or even at the gym.
  • candycrush1971
    candycrush1971 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Every gym I have been at has mirrors. It is so you can watch your form and make any corrections to minimize injuries. Maybe this will make you feel better--one of my first workouts at my NEW gym, I got so dizzy, I laid on the floor for 45 minutes, the trainer had to call my husband to come and get me and then I puked before walking out the door. NO ONE even said a work about it to me. I just kept coming back and working hard.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    O.P. How many people have you noticed doing squats in front of the mirror and thought THEY were stupid? Most feel about you as you feel about them. Go to the gym, get your work in, be friendly and go home.
  • rldeclercq4
    rldeclercq4 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I was there once as well. I learned though, like many others have mentioned, the other people in the gym don’t have time to be looking around judging others. There all just doing their own thing as well. Also, I have been down the road of hiring a trainer to learn the basics but that was years ago and I’m thinking about doing it again, because I do t really know the first thing about weight lifting, I kinda just mimic what I see others do and I would like to learn better form and routine
  • Chelle8070
    Chelle8070 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I used to hate the idea of going to the gym and having people watch me. Now I go to the gym and only sometimes consider that other people are watching me.

I try and remember that most people "started off somewhere". No one woke up fit and perfect.... they ALL have to work towards it. I find that most of the people at the gym either keep to themselves or are encouraging... wayyy less judgy than you might think.

I specifically love the mirror so I can watch my form. I want to make sure I'm doing my workouts right. I can only do so much by feel alone (like making sure my elbows stay in the right spot with the tricep ropes or curls, etc)

I hope you find it in you to take a deep breath and going for it. The only actual thing from stopping you, is you <3
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I did goblet squats in front of the mirror last night. Made me think of this thread! ;)
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Theres not much that embarrass me when I go to the gym except My bench press warm up on the first set is 65 pounds, so I have two tiny 10 pound weights on a barbell. Lol

I'm pretty sure alot of people laugh at me and I'm over it, I won't be stopping anytime soon, I love working out and I feel like I'm getting stronger, we'll who has the last laugh.
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I'm a PF member and I don't pay any attention to other folks other than to avoid hitting them while walking around. I don't do the free weights because I'm a little intimidated. I use the weight machines and have grown to love it. I understand there are benefits to the free weights but using the machines gives me a comfort level that free weights do not. I do almost every one when I have time. There is one I cannot figure out how to do and I feel really weak and kind of stupid. I have watched others use it (Ok, that is another time I watch folks, when I'm trying to figure out how to do something) but when I try even at the lowest weight I can't get it to move. Either I'm too weak or I'm too short and don't have the settings right - something is off! Tonight is my weights night, this post has inspired me to ask someone to assist me. Or maybe to even set up a Design Your Program with a trainer. I didn't know PF did that!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Consider how often you look around at people, watch them and think "they look stupid" ? I'm guessing probably never. No one is going to be thinking that of you. Most people probably aren't paying any attention to anything but themselves. Everyone lifting weights is doing it in front of the mirror, if that's what you're self conscious about. It's normal to watch yourself to make sure your form looks good.
  • jryepin93
    jryepin93 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I can wholly empathize with you! It took me six months to build up enough confidence to go to the free weights section of my gym. A trick I did was practice the movements at home (weightless) and look at myself in the mirror to make sure my form looked okay. I would practice my whole lift routine at home first and then go to the gym and do it. Having a plan definitely helped boost my confidence when I'm at the gym and helped me focus less on those around me and more on following my plan!
  • mcmurdah123
    mcmurdah123 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It's your journey, not theirs. I did this yoga class and the instructor said that. She said "Imagine you are in sphere, and that is your space. Anything outside that space does not matter, it is what you are doing for you inside the space that does. This is for you, not for them". I take that with me whenever I go to the gym. I still have a hard time in front of the mirror too, but you know what? I don't know their story and they don't know mine. We are all there to be healthier versions of ourselves. At least that is the pep talk I give myself....so far it has worked!
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I'm old and fat and I've found there are plenty of other old, fat people at the gym. I smile at them and talk to them and it makes me feel like I fit in. I found that doing a session with a trainer was really helpful. I'd love to do regular sessions if I could pay for it.