Hello everyone! Hoping to make some supportive friends!

Options
Hi there,

I'm new! My name is Shane. I'm a 22 year old woman who has been struggling with her weight for the past 2 years.

It started when I became very mentally unwell and was prescribed a slew of medications to relieve my symptoms. Sadly, with these meds came with some side effects including rapid weight gain.

I have since regained my sanity, rid myself of these medications (with doctor's approval. Always talk to your doctor before you go off your psych meds), and have healed myself of my mental ailment. But, sadly, even with these changes, the weight I gained in the process has remained.

I was never bothered by the weight gain until my GP told me that I might be at risk for prediabetes. This was obviously not good news, so I've set out to not only lose the extra weight, but also change my lifestyle into a healthy one.

My current lifestyle is very sedentary, and have previously eaten a lot of meat and junk food. It's been like that most of my life. It's a wonder I didn't gain weight before the medication side effects! I had a good youthful metabalism I imagine.

Now I'm 3 days into a low calorie vegan diet. Low calorie because I'm having trouble finding exercise I can consistantly be motivated to do. Vegan for new found ethical reasons.

I must say it's been a challenge, and I've already made mistakes and have cheated on my diet. But I've never been more committed to keep trying.

I'm looking for friends who maybe have similar stories that I can connect with. Feel free to reply if you feel like you want to connect! Whether we have similarities or not!

Also, advice is good too!

Looking forward to hearing from all of you,

Shane

Replies

• fahmyfs
    fahmyfs Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am 24 , i am trying to loose weight as well.
    I have high blood pressure. Look forward to get well together
  • morganaddamsgt
    morganaddamsgt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Shane, I’m Morgan. I’m 23 and have also struggled with weight and mental health issues - issues which have affected each other and created a negative cycle in my past. I’ve lost weight before but gained it back during the times when I was really struggling mentally. I am stronger mentally than I have been in a long time and am very committed to getting my physical health back. I would love to meet supportive friends and people who have a similar history as me :smile:
    Have you done any weightlifting? I’ve found it’s amazing for my mental and physical health!
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,574 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Hi Shane! Welcome to MFP! I'd be happy to connect.
    I went vegan early this year. It took me several weeks to get comfortable and reliable with that new routine, so for what it's worth, I'd allow some time for a transition.
    Anyway, I am feeling healthier (waiting for next physical checkup!), getting the weight off steadily and without having to be hungry by eating a vegan diet that includes lots of vegetables and fruits. Reading Eat to Live by Joel Fuhrman was super helpful, as were his cookbooks. Fuhrman is very focused on health, so you might enjoy his work.
  • JustaJoe00
    JustaJoe00 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    hi, you'll find lots of great people to talk to here. Good luck!
  • skglcarter
    skglcarter Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    JustaJoe00 wrote: »
    hi, you'll find lots of great people to talk to here. Good luck!

Thank you!
  • skglcarter
    Options
    Hi Shane, I’m Morgan. I’m 23 and have also struggled with weight and mental health issues - issues which have affected each other and created a negative cycle in my past. I’ve lost weight before but gained it back during the times when I was really struggling mentally. I am stronger mentally than I have been in a long time and am very committed to getting my physical health back. I would love to meet supportive friends and people who have a similar history as me :smile:
    Have you done any weightlifting? I’ve found it’s amazing for my mental and physical health!

Hey! Thank you for sharing! I understand, the two, mind and body, are closely interconnected. I hope I can be a supportive friend for you!

I haven't done weight lifting. I will consider that once I get a gym membership.
  • skglcarter
    Options
    fahmyfs wrote: »
    I am 24 , i am trying to loose weight as well.
    I have high blood pressure. Look forward to get well together

Yes! For sure!
  • skglcarter
    Options
    Hi Shane! Welcome to MFP! I'd be happy to connect.
    I went vegan early this year. It took me several weeks to get comfortable and reliable with that new routine, so for what it's worth, I'd allow some time for a transition.
    Anyway, I am feeling healthier (waiting for next physical checkup!), getting the weight off steadily and without having to be hungry by eating a vegan diet that includes lots of vegetables and fruits. Reading Eat to Live by Joel Fuhrman was super helpful, as were his cookbooks. Fuhrman is very focused on health, so you might enjoy his work.
    Sweet! I'd love to connect with you!

Do you have any favourite vegan recipes?

Thank you for sharing! Oooo I love a good read! Will definitely check that book out.
  • happychica74
    happychica74 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    skglcarter wrote: »
    Hi there,

I'm new! My name is Shane. I'm a 22 year old woman who has been struggling with her weight for the past 2 years.

It started when I became very mentally unwell and was prescribed a slew of medications to relieve my symptoms. Sadly, with these meds came with some side effects including rapid weight gain.

I have since regained my sanity, rid myself of these medications (with doctor's approval. Always talk to your doctor before you go off your psych meds), and have healed myself of my mental ailment. But, sadly, even with these changes, the weight I gained in the process has remained.

I was never bothered by the weight gain until my GP told me that I might be at risk for prediabetes. This was obviously not good news, so I've set out to not only lose the extra weight, but also change my lifestyle into a healthy one.

My current lifestyle is very sedentary, and have previously eaten a lot of meat and junk food. It's been like that most of my life. It's a wonder I didn't gain weight before the medication side effects! I had a good youthful metabalism I imagine.

Now I'm 3 days into a low calorie vegan diet. Low calorie because I'm having trouble finding exercise I can consistantly be motivated to do. Vegan for new found ethical reasons.

I must say it's been a challenge, and I've already made mistakes and have cheated on my diet. But I've never been more committed to keep trying.

I'm looking for friends who maybe have similar stories that I can connect with. Feel free to reply if you feel like you want to connect! Whether we have similarities or not!

Also, advice is good too!

Looking forward to hearing from all of you,

Shane