Motivation please!!!

Options
I have been really struggling lately yo motivate myself to exercise - when I get going i'm fine its just the initial feeling of getting ready to go to the gym. When I don't go I spend the day beating myself up and feeling bad - any tips on how to motivate myself and not feel bad when I cant? Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• Bobble11
    Bobble11 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You've paid for the gym so you might as well get your money's worth!

Put it in your diary that "between this time and that time on these days I will be at the gym". It's an appointment that can't be missed.

Eventually it becomes just another part of your day rather than a monolith that stares at you if you ignore it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I mean the ad "Just Do It." comes to mind.

If you know you'd feel better, just do it.

No one can make you, it's on you.
  • saberika87
    saberika87 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Whenever I don’t feel like working out, I just tell myself, “Just F***ing Do It”. It seriously helps me. I would suggest maybe finding a workout plan that you can do from home? I work out from home, and I prefer it much more than going to a gym.
  • lunnon1984
    lunnon1984 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I mean the ad "Just Do It." comes to mind.

If you know you'd feel better, just do it.

No one can make you, it's on you.

Love this, basically suck it up and get yo *kitten* to the gym!! :)
    I just need to have a word with myself...
  • OvershareUsername
    OvershareUsername Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Semantics. I saw another member frame it as ‘this is just what I do.’ I use this for myself because I don’t like being told to do things, and I think that phrase focuses on the habit aspect of exercise while emphasizing personal responsibility in a matter of fact way.

But at end of the day, it’s all about what works for you. You’ve got this!! 💪
  • lunnon1984
    Options
    Semantics. I saw another member frame it as ‘this is just what I do.’ I use this for myself because I don’t like being told to do things, and I think that phrase focuses on the habit aspect of exercise while emphasizing personal responsibility in a matter of fact way.

But at end of the day, it’s all about what works for you. You’ve got this!! 💪

Thank you :smile:
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,073 Member
    Options
    YouTube Mel Robbins - 5 second rule
  • ChunkyPlodder
    ChunkyPlodder Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Put your gym clothes on and walk out of your door. Even if you decide to go back in sometimes, it's a start. Make it a habit, just get outside and decide if you're going or not there and then, don't let yourself make the decision while you're in your cosy and warm house.
  • lunnon1984
    Options
    Put your gym clothes on and walk out of your door. Even if you decide to go back in sometimes, it's a start. Make it a habit, just get outside and decide if you're going or not there and then, don't let yourself make the decision while you're in your cosy and warm house.

Thank you Mr plodder, I will give it a go. I feel like poo when I don't go so I'm trying everything! Thank you
  • lunnon1984
    Options
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    YouTube Mel Robbins - 5 second rule

OMG MEL ROBBINS IS AMAZING! Thank you!!!
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I get everything ready and set out the night before.

My husband is retired so I don't really want to wake him up every morning at 4:30 opening and closing drawers and such.

I shower and change into work clothes at the gym so it takes a bit of discipline to have everything all set up & packed.

But then in the morning I just get dressed in my work out clothes, grab my gym bag and off I go.

I also find getting things ready the night before helps me get my head in the right place too!
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    bikecheryl wrote: »
    I get everything ready and set out the night before.

My husband is retired so I don't really want to wake him up every morning at 4:30 opening and closing drawers and such.

I shower and change into work clothes at the gym so it takes a bit of discipline to have everything all set up & packed.

But then in the morning I just get dressed in my work out clothes, grab my gym bag and off I go.

I also find getting things ready the night before helps me get my head in the right place too!

100% This. I sip on a protein drink while I workout, so I make it the night before and put it in the fridge. I lay out my workout clothes. I pack my work clothes, towel, toiletries, etc. I have my lunch ready to go in the fridge (I try to take a week's worth on Monday).

And I've found, it's best if I go EVERY DAY. So it truly becomes a habit. Wake up, brush my teeth, throw on my workout clothes (if I didn't sleep in them. :tongue: ) and go. On "rest" days, I might just do some light yoga, swim, mobility work or just hang out in the sauna. But going every work day establishes it as just part of my daily routine. If I only go a couple mornings a week, I find it harder to make it a habit.
  • PiscesMan123
    PiscesMan123 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The hardest exercise I have EVER done was in the kitchen, controlling how much I ate. Getting to the gym has its advantages. Knowing you can get a GREAT workout by just eating healthy is also GREAT! Working out as much as we think we "should" can be a discouraging thing. Set the bar low...say three times a week you will move your body. Exercise comes from movement. Movement takes place anywhere you decide. Hope this helps.
  • catbhn21
    catbhn21 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. Went for a run today and was hating it until about 1 mile in -- something clicked and I was like, oh right I like this. But why is it so hard to get moving??
  • pro31wahine
    pro31wahine Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    The first step is the hardest.

You've got to be committed to yourself about getting healthier.

Nothing changes unless change happens. Do it girl. Make that change. #GetItGirl
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    My best friend and I have always agreed that the hardest part about going to the gym, is GOING to the gym. Once you're there, it's not so bad. Just get yourself to the gym, even when you don't feel like going. Maybe once youre there, you'll stay.