Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

No intimidation "gyms"

Replies

• Odd_Equestrian
    Odd_Equestrian Posts: 43 Member
    As someone who has severe social anxiety and body dysmorphia, places like PF are great...I could go there and not be afraid of anyone or be eaten up by a trainer looking to make a buck. I just got in at 10 pm when no one was there, kept my head down, and basically ran out after an hour every time I went. The cost was also nice in college because I could actually afford it. I no longer go just because I graduated and got a job and now we have our own equipment at home so I don't have to go out at all.

If you are looking for a certain atmosphere, I would say just go find a more serious gym...I don't get why it is labeled as"BS"

I have social anxiety too, but I have to tell you... that stuff like predatory trainers or having to be afraid of people just doesn't happen at gyms. Honestly, creepy people can be anywhere, and my only creepy person in a gym experience was at a Planet Fitness, ironically.

This is why I find their marketing to be so horrible. It reinforces the fear people have. Now don't get me wrong, I'm also not a fan of people looking down on places like PF either. There's a difference between the facility and the marketing.

I went to a gym before I tried PF and I got bugged so much :( maybe it was just bad luck? Seriously every time I went I got bothered by a trainer or another guy asking me stuff.
  • Odd_Equestrian
    Odd_Equestrian Posts: 43 Member
    I've never had anyone comment on my workout at the gym, nor has anyone offered any advice, and certainly no one there intimidates me with their workout or fitness level. I put my earbuds in, turn on my music and do my thing. Not a difficult thing to do at any gym.

Not fighting for or against any kind of gym right now, but either you aren't a girl or you're a lucky girl (sorry I didn't check). The gym I was talking about before was walking distance from where I lived during college, and *kitten* you not I was walking on the treadmill, headphones in, and a guy came and started tapping me on the shoulder trying to talk to me. Also forget weights....I understand that my gym was very skewed and weird but as a girl, guys do creepy stuff. I don't know if it's always just that simple.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    So now no one gets hit on at PF, and women are constantly hit on at other gyms? Not my experience (seems like really serious gyms and your typical corporate gym where most people are busy professionals trying to get a workout in before getting to/back to work/going home would be at least as good on that front -- the culture in my gym is quite "do your thing" and not meat markety at all), and I don't know why PF would be free from that. Sounds more like something a women's gym would address (I have no interest in that, but I could at least see why that argument would be made).
    So now no one gets hit on at PF, and women are constantly hit on at other gyms? Not my experience (seems like really serious gyms and your typical corporate gym where most people are busy professionals trying to get a workout in before getting to/back to work/going home would be at least as good on that front -- the culture in my gym is quite "do your thing" and not meat markety at all), and I don't know why PF would be free from that. Sounds more like something a women's gym would address (I have no interest in that, but I could at least see why that argument would be made).

I'm no looking for one but haven't women only gyms and women only sections of gyms pretty much gone the way of the dodo bird? I used to see them around or see ads for them, but haven't for years in my area and my travels.

And I wouldn't think a womans only gym would prevent one from getting hit on.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »

I'm no looking for one but haven't women only gyms and women only sections of gyms pretty much gone the way of the dodo bird? I used to see them around or see ads for them, but haven't for years in my area and my travels.

And I wouldn't think a womans only gym would prevent one from getting hit on.

No, Toronto has a number of women's only gyms and/or women's only floors in larger coed gyms.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited November 2018
    There's a place called Women's Workout World in Chicago that I always get ads for. Never been. Wouldn't shock me if there were others too.

(Why did you quote my post so many times?)
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    There's a place called Women's Workout World in Chicago that I always get ads for. Never been. Wouldn't shock me if there were others too.

not sure but I know that sometimes when I hit "quote" nothing happens so I hit it again... and again... then finally it quotes that person 4 times. ;)

If you are on your phone you might not notice the multiple quotes as it scrolls you down too far.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    jseams1234 wrote: »

not sure but I know that sometimes when I hit "quote" nothing happens so I hit it again... and again... then finally it quotes that person 4 times. ;)

If you are on your phone you might not notice the multiple quotes as it scrolls you down too far.

10-4
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited November 2018

I have already stated several times in this thread that a man tried to hit on me at Planet Fitness, so there's that.

I saw him hitting on other women at subsequent visits.

Jerks happen anywhere, Planet Fitness isn't immune to it.
    Conversely, the anecdote that ONE poster had a bad experience with ONE particular male at ONE particular gym doesn’t equate to “every gym everywhere is full of creepy scary men and every woman should be afraid except at Planet Fitness because there are no creepy men there anywhere ever”.

The plural of ‘anecdote’ is not ‘data’.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    As someone who has severe social anxiety and body dysmorphia, places like PF are great...I could go there and not be afraid of anyone or be eaten up by a trainer looking to make a buck. I just got in at 10 pm when no one was there, kept my head down, and basically ran out after an hour every time I went. The cost was also nice in college because I could actually afford it. I no longer go just because I graduated and got a job and now we have our own equipment at home so I don't have to go out at all.

If you are looking for a certain atmosphere, I would say just go find a more serious gym...I don't get why it is labeled as"BS"

I have social anxiety too, but I have to tell you... that stuff like predatory trainers or having to be afraid of people just doesn't happen at gyms. Honestly, creepy people can be anywhere, and my only creepy person in a gym experience was at a Planet Fitness, ironically.

This is why I find their marketing to be so horrible. It reinforces the fear people have. Now don't get me wrong, I'm also not a fan of people looking down on places like PF either. There's a difference between the facility and the marketing.

I would agree with this and like everything - all depends on the management at that site. I know the manager at one of the local PFs and he's awesome. Very laid back and low pressure. He's a masterful salesman and trainer and excels at getting people out of their comfort zone. Because of this he always exceeds his goals.

• curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    I couldn't do something like PF simply because I take inspiration from people stronger, faster, or more fit than me. I have headphones in I don't care if you grunt, yel, or talk to yourself because I can't hear you.