What amount of calorie deficit do you get each day?

Options
And what is your weight loss per week? I'm able to manage 660 calorie deficit a day. I do feel hungry. But, I am looking for a weight loss of 1 Kg per week. For that I need to burn 1000+ calories everyday. What do I do to attain that? Does CICO really work?

Replies

• TimeToReduceFat
    TimeToReduceFat Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I’m 5 2” & weighs 89 Kg, female, 35 yrs old.
  • TimeToReduceFat
    Options
    mikea2g wrote: »
    CICO totally works and is pretty much how every diet works. As long as you weigh and track everything that goes into your mouth CICO works. If you lie to yourself or half *kitten* tracking then you’ll most likely eat more calories than you need to lose weight.

I’ve lost 50 pounds in the last 4 months focusing on CICO. No fad diet, just making healthy choices, tracking everything and staying within my calorie allotment. When I exercise, if I’m hungry, I eat back my about half my exercise calories (as it seems they’re over estimated). If I’m not hungry, I don’t.

Persistence and consistency along with tracking accurately and any exercise you can do will get you to your goals. You just have to do it. When it sucks, you’re emotional, tired, bored, angry... you try to make a good choice and track what you eat whether you do or not.
    CICO totally works and is pretty much how every diet works. As long as you weigh and track everything that goes into your mouth CICO works. If you lie to yourself or half *kitten* tracking then you’ll most likely eat more calories than you need to lose weight.

I’ve lost 50 pounds in the last 4 months focusing on CICO. No fad diet, just making healthy choices, tracking everything and staying within my calorie allotment. When I exercise, if I’m hungry, I eat back my about half my exercise calories (as it seems they’re over estimated). If I’m not hungry, I don’t.

Persistence and consistency along with tracking accurately and any exercise you can do will get you to your goals. You just have to do it. When it sucks, you’re emotional, tired, bored, angry... you try to make a good choice and track what you eat whether you do or not.

How did you manage to get a calorie deficit to be able to lose 50 pounds in 4 months?

• 23rochelle23
    23rochelle23 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    8pmca3ooffxk.png

So you have the same problem that I have - you don’t have the wiggle room in the numbers to lose as quickly as you want.. (pretty much we are too short 😦) looking at your stats (assuming you’re sedentary) then unless you’re able to eat 800cal/day you won’t be losing 1kg/week.

What I’ve done (I’m 5’3” and currently just under 70kg down from around 85kg) is increased my exercise, started swapping out some high calorie bits and pieces for lower calories options (zero noodles, cauliflower rice etc) which allows me to eat a decent volume, and I set my daily calories at maintenance so I can see what I’ve got “leftover” each day. I find this keeps me more on track as with such small allowances there are definitely days that I won’t have any deficit. I also don’t eat my exercise calories as these are included in my weekly total.

I’m also careful about doing getting enough protein and doing weightlifting so I am slowly recomping, 1kg of muscle looks much nicer on your body than 1kg of fat (and as a bonus burns slightly more calories).

Good luck!

• pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    My weight loss goal is 5 lbs. a month. My average daily calories deficit is based on 1.5 lbs. per week. Narrowing my IF feeding window, training in a fasted state and introducing resistant starch food to my eating have been and are powerful tools helping me get the job done.
  • mikea2g
    mikea2g Posts: 384 Member
    Options

How did you manage to get a calorie deficit to be able to lose 50 pounds in 4 months?

I’m 6’4” and started at 309. My calories to maintain were astronomical. I work out 4-6 days a week doing cardio or strength training. I set a goal of 2000 calories with some extra allowance for eating back exercise calories if I’m hungry.

I track religiously and eat a lot of chicken and veggies. I fill up on lower calorie stuff and keep doing it consistently. Being very overweight starting out helped shed the pounds faster. I’m sure that will slow down as I get closer to my goal weight (225)
  • jakaram3
    jakaram3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was trying to find an earlier post of yours but please forgive...limited tech abilities. Will you please share what CICO is? Many thanks.
  • TimeToReduceFat
    Options
    8pmca3ooffxk.png

So you have the same problem that I have - you don’t have the wiggle room in the numbers to lose as quickly as you want.. (pretty much we are too short 😦) looking at your stats (assuming you’re sedentary) then unless you’re able to eat 800cal/day you won’t be losing 1kg/week.

What I’ve done (I’m 5’3” and currently just under 70kg down from around 85kg) is increased my exercise, started swapping out some high calorie bits and pieces for lower calories options (zero noodles, cauliflower rice etc) which allows me to eat a decent volume, and I set my daily calories at maintenance so I can see what I’ve got “leftover” each day. I find this keeps me more on track as with such small allowances there are definitely days that I won’t have any deficit. I also don’t eat my exercise calories as these are included in my weekly total.

I’m also careful about doing getting enough protein and doing weightlifting so I am slowly recomping, 1kg of muscle looks much nicer on your body than 1kg of fat (and as a bonus burns slightly more calories).

Good luck!

Exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks.
  • TimeToReduceFat
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies.
  • TimeToReduceFat
    Options
    jakaram3 wrote: »
    I was trying to find an earlier post of yours but please forgive...limited tech abilities. Will you please share what CICO is? Many thanks.

CICO is calories in calories out
  • TimeToReduceFat
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I am already consuming around 1400 to 1500 calories and sometimes 1800 everyday and walking 8km for 2 hours. What more can I do?
    I tried bringing down the food, but that left me very hungry & tired. I'm not able to run too. And I don't have more time for exercise.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I am already consuming around 1400 to 1500 calories and sometimes 1800 everyday and walking 8km for 2 hours. What more can I do?
    I tried bringing down the food, but that left me very hungry & tired. I'm not able to run too. And I don't have more time for exercise.

Log accurately to make sure you're in the deficit you think you are (see Most Helpful posts at the top of the Getting Started board and this board, look at your previous logging to see where you can make small changes to reduce calorie intake without compromising on feeling full - slightly smaller portion sizes, using lower calorie fruit & veg to bulk out meals rather than higher calorie sides.

If you're walking 8km per day you're not sedentary, make sure you have an appropriate Activity Level set, you don't have to do intentional exercise to increase your calories out, you can just be slightly more active in your daily life:
    • Take stairs instead of the lift/escalator
    • If you drive, park a little further away
    • If you take a bus/train - get off a stop earlier if it's possible/safe to do so
    • Spend less time sitting at home (I started doing things like Ironing/Weight Workouts in front of the TV rather than sitting on the sofa)
    • If you work in a desk job, get up from your desk more regularly

All the little changes add up. You may have to accept that your weight loss is going to be slower than you want it to be if you want it to be sustainable and exercise a little patience.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    You're already eating at deficit, most of the time. So the weight will come off, albeit slower than you'd like. Unless you already power-walk, you'd burn a bit more by walking faster / uphill.

I eat a huge Caribbean coleslaw (90 calories) + salad mix (varies) + some protein for lunch which is quite filling. That leaves more calories for potatoes, pasta or rice with my dinner. Look into adding low calorie, filling foods that you enjoy.
  • 23rochelle23
    23rochelle23 Posts: 269 Member
    Options

The only other thing you could do is play with your macros a little - I find if I eat too many carbs I start feeling more hungry, as long as I’m under 100-150/day I’m normal hungry, if I drop it lower I can eat less again - some people find fat doesn’t do it for them and they need more carbs and just the minimum of fat or protein. Unfortunately you just don’t have the wiggle room to lose at 1kg/week.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

the 1400 - 1500 cals is already a deficit... as is the 1800 cals...

and you should be eating back your exercise calories.