Breast feeding, no milk products, and recipes ideas?

Options
I'm new at this. I'm still working on recipes that actually keep me filled enough. I also need to have enough nutrients to give to my babe(currently 4 months). I'm not sure how to add in my calories I'm losing while breast feeding. Also, anything I eat cannot have any milk products in it because my babe gets a milk protein reaction. (& I love milky things 😟) If anyone has any experience with this I'd love to hear from you.

Replies

• ElizabethHanrahan
    ElizabethHanrahan Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have a milk protein allergy. If you and your baby can eat nuts, I would use almond milk or cashew milk. These can be substituted for regular milk in most recipes. Just make sure you get plain unsweetened since there are sweetened and vanilla flavors that won't go with savory recipes. If you need cheese for something, DAIYA brand is found in a lot of regular stores now. You might also check labels for sodium caseinate since this is made from milk proteins. I can't answer the breast feeding questions since my "baby" is now 31.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Search for vegan recipes and feel free to swap out tofu, tempeh, seitan, etc. for meat, poultry, fish, or eggs.

There's little to no dairy in Chinese food, so you could look up some stir-fry recipes and have rice with them.

Generally, if you stay away from white sauces, cream sauces, and cheese sauces, many casseroles, many baked goods, and anything with cheese as an ingredient, you should be good. That still leaves a whole range of "traditional" meals with meat/poultry/fish (roast, steak, chop, filet, stew) as a center, with unsauced veggies (or with a tomato sauce or vegetable puree sauce) on the side.

You should be able to substitute margarine or olive oil (or any vegetable or nut oil) for butter in recipes.

I think the general recommendations for exclusively breast feeding are an extra 400 to 500 calories, although you could probably find more exact numbers if you know how many ounces you're producing (e.g., if you're pumping), or there may be more precise recommendations based on baby's age and weight.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I haven't noticed a single recipe in my Thai cookbook, Quick & Easy Thai Cuisine: Lemon Grass Cookbook, that uses dairy.
  • sbee912
    sbee912 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am in the exact same boat!!! It's also really hard to cook with a new baby. I end up ordering Chinese too often. I have had luck with recipes from when I did a Whole 30 a few years ago. It is super hard especially since nursing makes me so hungry all the time and there is nothing quick to grab without dairy!