Discipline

Options
Hello,

Eve here.

I’m not too sure how this all works... quite new here.

I’m really struggling with practicing discipline.. I’ve always just ate what I wanted and when I wanted.. and I thrive on binge sessions before bed..

Just curious what has helped people in the early stages of a lifestyle change to conquer this..

Thanks,

Eve

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Instead of looking for a major overhaul, look for small things you can change Start there. You don't have to 100% right out of the gate. Consistency takes time.

Add a serving of veggies to lunch and dinner. That leaves less room for starchy sides. You're not eliminating starch, just reducing the portions.

I allow myself a sweet snack, but save it for late in the day. I don't buy half gallons of ice cream but single portion ice cream bars instead. Learn coping skills.
  • MarieRosekenji85
    MarieRosekenji85 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    What has helped me is to fill up on veggies at dinner. Helps to feel fuller and not want to snack at night. If you're still hungry try hot tea and or sugar free hot cocoa. Things like rice cakes and pretzels might be better alternatives if you can portion control them. Feel free to add me. :)
  • Spadhnik
    Spadhnik Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Welcome @evelynwatts11

Logging food in MFP has helped me.

I still feel like binging in the evening so I let myself have a snack when I come home from work, but I eat well (atleast I try) till evening and take walks during day (skip taking bus etc), so I can have a snack with my tea when I reach home 😜
    Logging food in MFP and planning food helps to watch my daily calorie intake (sometimes I go over but I start again next day!)
    Also I had habit of binge eating before bed. I realised it’s due to Tv so I now don’t watch telly at night now. Rather read something in bed (after reading Mfp posts 😍) with water next to me.
    You need to analyse your habits, why you do what you do.... make changes accordingly.
    Hope you see benefits of this app soon..
  • Chainbreaker
    Chainbreaker Posts: 124 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Welcome, Eve!
    It's a great discussion topic because so many people struggle with this issue.

Discipline is really nothing more than a a belief system, honed through consistency over time, which tells us that we CAN do something (or not!). Essentially, it's a habit of action in a specific area.

Really, at the core, it's all about the programming running in our heads. The only way to effect changes behaviors on the outside, is to address and reframe the self-limiting programming on the inside. Which is a good thing because this power is within our reach.

Also, having a great community of quality support helps us move forward through any challenge.
    *feel free to add me here or reach out if I can be of assistance, anyone.

You can do this, Eve!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Spadhnik wrote: »
    Welcome @evelynwatts11

Logging food in MFP has helped me.

I still feel like binging in the evening so I let myself have a snack when I come home from work, but I eat well (atleast I try) till evening and take walks during day (skip taking bus etc), so I can have a snack with my tea when I reach home 😜
    Logging food in MFP and planning food helps to watch my daily calorie intake (sometimes I go over but I start again next day!)
    Also I had habit of binge eating before bed. I realised it’s due to Tv so I now don’t watch telly at night now. Rather read something in bed (after reading Mfp posts 😍) with water next to me.
    You need to analyse your habits, why you do what you do.... make changes accordingly.
    Hope you see benefits of this app soon..

Eating in front of the TV was the worst for me. Instead of giving up TV forever (not going to happen) - I found that if I have a large glass of ice water handy AND do something with my hands, I'm not tempted to eat. Not eating in front of the TV is my new normal.

Any distraction will do - crosswords, solitaire, crochet, adult coloring book.
  • MarvinsFitLife
    MarvinsFitLife Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    MFP community really one of the best keep you on track! Clean out your cupboards introduce new healthy foods watch health conscious videos cooking shows etc
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Eve!
    consistency over time, which tells us that we CAN do something (or not!). Essentially, it's a habit of action in a specific area.

I was going to post something along this line, but read all the replies before jumping in.

It takes less time than you think to develop habits, bad or good. The little changes, done consistently, with re-evaluation and adding new good behaviours to practice, end out just being what you do, and no longer require what you term "discipline". Just take little steps at first, and don't expect immediate results.