Will exercise help?

Options
Hello, I am Billie. I have type II bipolar disorder, extreme ADHD, thyroid disease, and a cholesterol of 375. I take meds for all of it. I am 21 years old and weigh 214 lbs, with a history of family having higher than average cholesterol. Though, it’s 200 at most for them. Is exercise going to help? And if so, what exercises can help me out? Any advice is helpful, thank you in advance.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    has your doctor told you that exercise would help?
  • pandemonium1997
    pandemonium1997 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    She said it would some, but I lost my insurance this month. So I have to wait to go to an actual heart doctor. And exercise is a good thing, along with eating right and taking my pills. I am just looking for support, what foods I can eat, and any exercises that I can start off with that’s good for my heart and cardio vascular system. Basically, anything I can get.
  • jbj2393
    jbj2393 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    And even if it doesn't immediately bring your numbers down, it will help in so many other ways that you will be able to tackle the cholesterol and weight issues with a good attitude. I agree with TinkerBellang83--start slowly with something you can manage, and build from there.
  • Phoebe5164
    Phoebe5164 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Even just walking everyday will help your mood and could improve your outlook on life . I know it sounds dramatic but fresh air is a gift 🌸
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    You should talk to your doctor, but I agree, walking to start. How far can you comfortably walk now? If you can walk for 15 min, then try 20 for a few days, and then 25,..... Whatever you do, do it gradually. Then you can slowly up your pace. Walking is easy and you can do it anywhere. Talk to your doctor as soon as you can, and see if other things are allowed. Good luck, you can do this.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Exercise is supposed to help with almost all of those conditions. If you're completely out of shape start slowly, but eventually you should be doing something active every day, with strength exercises at least twice a week. You're young, if your doctor has cleared you to exercise you've got no reason to be afraid of working out.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    My family has a history of ADHD (myself included). Exercise and activity can definitely help, and it will definitely help with other health problems.

If you're new to working out, take it easy, and don't try to go "all in" right off the bat. Also, find something you enjoy doing. I know for myself and my nephew, martial arts is a great way to get some physical activity, plus it really helps with the focus and teaching you to focus your energy in a productive way. I also enjoy weight lifting but hate steady-state cardio (I get bored very easily doing it!).

A daily walk is a great way to start, I find I'm more motivated to do one if I have a destination in mind (so, rather than driving to the store, I'll walk - stuff like that). Just going "for a walk" is hardly ever going to happen for me, so I come up with excuses to go somewhere, and then take the long way.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,946 Member
    Options
    Phoebe5164 wrote: »
    Even just walking everyday will help your mood and could improve your outlook on life . I know it sounds dramatic but fresh air is a gift 🌸
    You should talk to your doctor, but I agree, walking to start. How far can you comfortably walk now? If you can walk for 15 min, then try 20 for a few days, and then 25,..... Whatever you do, do it gradually. Then you can slowly up your pace. Walking is easy and you can do it anywhere. Talk to your doctor as soon as you can, and see if other things are allowed. Good luck, you can do this.

Another vote for walking, and slowly progressing from your current fitness level.

I plan to bundle up and go for a walk outside three days a week all winter long, no matter how cold.
  • pandemonium1997
    pandemonium1997 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the help, I was told to start a diet and exercise. So far, I am eating less and healthier. I am also taking more of my cholesterol pills per my doctors orders and avoiding soda. I will try your suggestions and stick to my diet. Hopefully, I can get better.
  • passenger79
    passenger79 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I have Bipolar II and have been going through a really rough patch lately.
    When I'm unwell I can barely force myself to get out of bed and even walk around a block is a success so I tell myself that.

I found that swimming and yoga relaxes me and hiking,when I feel up for it just fills my heart and I feel better away from all the noise and problems and spend time in the nature.

Whatever you do ,no matter how small of a change will have positive effect you just need to find something that works for you .

If you need to chat feel free to add me x
  • mfp4kc
    mfp4kc Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    In addition, if you are taking "cholesterol pills" or statins, you may want to speak with your doctor about side effects. One side effect is that statins can lower CoQ10 levels in the body and this can result in symptoms/side effects.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am Billie. I have type II bipolar disorder, extreme ADHD, thyroid disease, and a cholesterol of 375. I take meds for all of it. I am 21 years old and weigh 214 lbs, with a history of family having higher than average cholesterol. Though, it’s 200 at most for them. Is exercise going to help? And if so, what exercises can help me out? Any advice is helpful, thank you in advance.

I can speak to a little of this, but not all of it. I had high cholesterol and a family history of high cholesterol, and I was on a statin plus other medications. I did not have any of the other conditions you have. I also started at your weight.

Exercise is generally a good thing unless your doctor has told you not to exercise or to avoid certain activities. The best exercise is exercise that you'll enjoy and do routinely. Try walking if you don't already walk much. You might also be interested in cycling, swimming, classes at the gym...whatever you are going to like doing. Don't start off trying to do too much. It's better to start slow and gradually work up to more intense exercise to avoid injury or burnout.

It's also typically a good idea to incorporate some strength training. There are many beginner plans, including some that use bodyweight or inexpensive equipment if you don't have access to a weight room.

Personally, I began with yoga and pilates, and I joined a quidditch team in grad school (we were not very good or very athletic). I also walked a lot. Those things gave me a basic level of fitness. However, I didn't lose weight or dramatically improve my cholesterol until I started logging my food and staying within my MFP calorie goal. I also started running with C25K when I began tracking my calories. Once I had lost about 50 pounds (halfway to my goal weight) my doctor took me off the medication. I now manage my cholesterol with exercise and maintaining a healthy weight.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options

Exercise can help with the cholesterol and weight loss, but I can't speak as to the other things.

With so many issues though, it may be best to hear a bit more from your doctor, rather than untrained strangers on the internet. Even if lack of insurance makes it difficult to handle more tests or medication, you should at least arrange another consultation to get the best advice.