Easing into clean eating...how am I doing?

Options
I'm trying to ease my way into clean eating. Let me preface this by saying I'm not looking to be a saint and I will be indulging probably weekly, but in general I'd like to get my diet less processed and more orgainic when it is processed.

So based on the last three days (I was on a MAJOR vacation before that so please disregard those days) how am I doing? I know that one thing that needs to go is the coffee creamer and I'm working on that. Been searching high and low for a substitute. But other than that what do you think. There are a few of my own recipes on there, and for the most part they are all home made things with whole foods. I use FlatOut bread a lot and I probably need to check out the ingredients on it to see if it's something that should go (I hope not) or maybe an acceptably vice.

But anyway, I was also wondering if anyone had any tips or maybe some MUST do's and some things that maybe aren't that important. Right now I used Clean Eating magazine a lot and Tosca Reno's cookbooks.

TIA

Replies

• JudyZ
    JudyZ Posts: 23
    Options
    I LOVE the clean eating magazines! I like to LOOK at new recipes...I just wish I liked to COOK!!! LOL! But I do manage to try a new one every once in a while!

I think that EASING into it is a good idea! Build on each week's successes! It's all about a lifestyle approach, right?
  • Izable2011
    Izable2011 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Looks like your doing great!
  • ChrisFA5
    ChrisFA5 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    To mix it up try some Almond butter, and of course there is that creamer with "fake" sugar. But yeah doing great. Raw is a great way to go too.
  • LABClark
    Options
    It looks like you are doing really well. I made the switch to mostly clean eating earlier this year. I feel amazingly better all the time now. I try to be as practical and frugal about it as possible. I want to be healthy and avoid putting unnecessary chemicals into my body, but I also do not want to be food broke. I use the Environmental Working Group's Clean Fifteen and Dirty Dozen as a guide for shopping for produce, and always remember to wash everything.

One thing I did was start making my own salad dressings. I notice you use Newman's Own. That is a great brand, and I love knowing they support good causes. I felt like I could make cheaper, healthier stuff from scratch, though. I will mix a cup of olive oil, half a cup of some kind of vinegar (balsamic, white wine, tarragon), a teaspoon of fancy mustard, and a clove or two of garlic or a small shallot. I add different spices here or there, depending on the use. Asian dishes may get orange zest and ginger with rice or white wine vinegar. Italian dishes may get parsley, oregano, and red wine vinegar, with a dash of freshly grated parmesan. It is easy to vary the basic make-up using small amounts of organic, fresh items and common pantry items. Take your favorite Newman's Own, look to see if you can tell what spices are in it, and mix up your own fresh version. You are cutting out the preservatives and artificial colorings/flavorings, and can control the sodium and sugar.

As for your coffee creamer, have you ever considered mixing unsweetened almond milk or organic half and half with hazelnut extract? Or maybe for sweet tooth satisfaction, try adding a bit of the dark chocolate almond milk (120 calories a cup) to your coffee.
  • BeilaLin
    BeilaLin Posts: 189
    Options
    Regarding the last poster's Raw...

Eating more raw foods will really help you eat better. To do this, think in terms of how much is raw and cooked. That will get you thinking in terms of processed vs non-processed foods.

When I look at a meal, I think, how much of this is raw % wise and % cooked. 75% raw, 50% raw...these are good values to me. Dinner time, I usually go 25-50% raw so my food digests better. When I say "raw" I mean vegetables, fruits, and nuts. Don't go eating raw meats, I'm sure you know but for other people reading this, raw meat can carry foodborne illnesses, as well as raw milk.

The nutrients and enzymes are better maintained when raw. So like when preparing your meal, ask yourself, do you really have to cook those bell peppers for your fajitas? Can you eat a fajita w/o the bell peppers and instead just eat the bell peppers sliced up and raw? This is just an example. Red bell peppers have tons of nutrients. Look at the nutrients here:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2896/2

I use this website often to understand which whole foods to eat / buy at the store. No wonder bell peppers are expensive! They have over 300% daily value of vitamin c, and over 90% value of vitamin A. It's better to get vitamins from foods than supplements (although I personally take supplements anyways). Plus the bell peppers have a fullness factor of 4.4, which is high, meaning less cals for your meal. I also like the website cause it has the "anti-inflammatory" factor, something which no other website I know of rates foods for. An example of a good food w/ a high inflammation factor is Fish Oil. It's rated like 30,000+. I take 2 fish oil pills every day. The opposite end of that would be a negative factor, like granulated sugar (-14), or white unenriched flour (-458). Even quaker oats instant oatmeal is -58, so that gives you an idea of how processed it is.

Processed foods are not necessarily bad. You need some foods to be processed for convenience and for maintaining nutritional value. For example, frozen vegetables are processed for your convenience and the process of freezing preserves the vitamins and minerals. Also pastuerization for dairy foods.

So when you say you want to cut out processed foods, just look at what percentage of your foods are:
    -Breaded
    -Bread / pasta made w/ white flour vs. whole grains
    -Foods / Snacks from a box / pacakge
    -Canned w/ tons of sodium for preserving
    -Processed meats

You can eat processed foods here and there, but look at your food choices percentage wise and ask yourself are most of your foods processed / from a box? Or are the foods you eat close to their natural state? How much processing was involved for this to get to my plate? Freezing, canning, dehydrating.

Looking at your diary....

I'm just going to pick on things I see and give you a suggestion on what I do....

**Instant Oatmeal
    I used to love instant oatmeal...then I realized I didn't need that crap that they add into those packes (the dried blueberries, the cane sugar, guar gum, flour, germ, salt). I would rather add my own agave nectar and fresh blueberries. So then I bought organic rolled oats from the bulk bins at whole foods. Then I realized that the nutritional content was even better in the steel cut oats bulk bin. So I switched to steel cut oats, and only eat steel cuts oats after some research on nutritional value. Here's some info about the differences:

http://www.thesweetbeet.com/steel-cut-oats/

Basically, the steel cut oats will keep your blood sugar lower b/c it's less processed and your body will break it down slower.

Sure steel cut oats takes longer to cook, but the TASTE is far better. I use a rice cooker now to cook them, and then I just make enough for a whole week, and store it in my fridge or freeze it in small containers (and Trader joe's Sells frozen steel cut oats in individual serving sizes as well). A pat of butter and some fresh fruit--amazing breakfast!

Back to your diary...
    Yesterday's (thursday's) meals were just okay to me. The only foods that you ate that were non-processed were the strawberries and roasted veggies for lunch, and the baby carrots and romaine lettuce for dinner. So maybe incorporate more for breakfast.

Wednesday's meals were all very good to me. The only processed foods you had were the breakfast, the GU, ygourt and coconut milk. Still cocount milk is better than creamer in my opinion just comparing cals.

Tuesday's dinner was good to me. The rest seems like there's some processed foods (canned soup, granola and yogurt), and some good non processed foods (baby carrots).

I think if you were to eat like 50% processed and 50% raw or non processed, that is a good balance to start with. Seem like you are there are almost there. Then gradually build up to 50%-75% non processed foods or 50-75% raw.

If you like yogurts, you can switch out the granola w/ fresh blueberries, sliced bananas, or just don't have granola and have your flat out bread for lunch if you really like that bread. Like you don't have to have the granola and flat out bread back-to back.

I hope this helps you out! Good luck! Message me any time!!