Intuitive eating

Options
Hi everyone I need your help.
3 years ago I lost 24 kgs. When I started that journey I was 62 kgs and down to 34kgs. Then I realize that I have a problem and get treatment from psychologist and now I am again 61 kgs. I cannot stop eating since most of the time I eat without considering it. I guess it is intuitive eating. So please help me I need to stop that

Replies

• Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Depending on your height, 61kg sounds like a normal healthy weight to me. It's not clear whether you're concerned that you'll keep eating and will end up overweight / obese or whether you're looking to lose weight and go below 61kg again. Either way, you should probably talk to a professional.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    How tall are you as that gives us a bit more context to tell if you are still underweight or not.

Secondly this is an issue that you need to bring up with your doctors.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    What you're doing is mindless eating, the exact opposite of intuitive eating. Intuitive meaning means: learn to be aware of your hunger and satiety cues, and honor them. In other words, eat when you're hungry, stop when you've had enough, be mindful of what you're eating and enjoy it, and don't eat to satisfy your emotional needs.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    What you're doing is mindless eating, the exact opposite of intuitive eating. Intuitive meaning means: learn to be aware of your hunger and satiety cues, and honor them. In other words, eat when you're hungry, stop when you've had enough, be mindful of what you're eating and enjoy it, and don't eat to satisfy your emotional needs.

Kind of a nit, but kind of not - the closest synonym to intuitive is instinctive.

in·tu·i·tive
    adjective
    using or based on what one feels to be true even without conscious reasoning; instinctive.

It's not really something you can learn to do; what you are describing is mindful eating. It's difficult or impossible to fix intuitive eating if it is broken, by which I mean it causes you to gain/lose to and/or maintain an unhealthy weight. Intuitive eating is not completely mindless eating, but it is subconscious. People who can do it do so naturally. There is something of a caveat about not being able to fix it. I gained a lot of weight by binge eating. In my case, it was not intuitive; I knew when I was doing it and it was not part of my natural eating pattern. That can be addressed and resolved (maybe; I can only be sure it will never happen again by dying).
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    accidental double post
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I find I only binge /overeat certain foods. I can easily scarf down a bag of chips or candy, or abig bowl of leftover pasta. If I don't have those foods around, I don't eat them. If I have eggs, ground beef and veggies in the house, that's what I will eat. Same goes for work - I pack a lunch.

Planning ahead helps me. Ymmv Good luck.

Advising someone with an ED history to restrict food groups is appallingly bad advice.

OP, this is something you need to speak with your treatment team about.

This was my mistake, apologies to the OP. I misread your post and thought you lost 24 kg to get down to 61 kg. My mistake.