Grape jelly sub!

Options
Hello! I have found substitutes and low-xyz versions of most food that I eat by this point. However, grape jelly holds a very special place in my heart. I've held off eating it long enough, I can't any more.

I need your help! Perameters:

C/F/P macros don't matter as much as the sugar content. I am looking for 6g or less, and as few ingredients as possible.

I've found that "fruit spreads" are better than jellies for sugar content.

I really only eat grape. I wish I liked other flavors, my life would be much easier. :(

Polaner all fruit Concord grape is the best I can find at 8g sugar/9c/0f/0p. I can definitely taste the sugar in it (but that's par for the course - its jelly lol), but it doesn't distract from the flavor, and I eat it so rarely that it's ok. And, I eat slightly less than a full serving, so also ok.

If any of you have suggestions, for other brands, or perhaps something with less sugar, I'd love to hear them!

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Grapes are pretty high in sugar. I would think a "low sugar" grape anything will have artificial sweeteners and not much actual grape. I don't have any suggestions, I have no reason to limit sugar in general, so I use regular grape jelly on my PB&J or toast. Good luck!
  • AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Just did a quick google search and saw that Smuckers makes a sugar free grape jelly sweetened with Splenda. Maybe try that?
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Smuckers Low Sugar Concord Grape Jelly (5g/Tb), Polaner's Sugar Free Grape Jam with Fiber (0g/TB), Welch's Reduced Sugar Grape Jelly (5g/TB).
  • Kohanai
    Kohanai Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    @vingogly have you eaten Smuckers and Welch's? Do they taste alright? I've been searching for Polaner's sugar free grape for ages, and just can't seem to find it in store. If you see it, where? I know I can order online, but I rarely get in moods for jelly, so generally don't see online ordering worth it.

@amy19355 I do eat slightly less than a full serving in order to keep sugar down. So, I'm not truly sol when I do give in and have jelly. I'm just wondering if people have eaten some that taste great.

@AmyC2288 & @kimny72 thanks!
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    amy19355 wrote: »
    Have you thought about allowing yourself a full-sugared but smaller portion of the grape jelly you love so much?

This is absolutely the right answer, based on what you say below (bolded). I like some preserves every now and then. I love marmalade on toast. Or strawberry jam. Anyway, all these options are generally 50 calories a serving, which I might double at most. The bread has more. If you were eating it often, I would get the concern. The calorie density is high and you get less filling stuff when you have it. But if you rarely have it and it isn't a crazy amount of calories, why deny yourself?

Kohanai wrote: »
    @vingogly have you eaten Smuckers and Welch's? Do they taste alright? I've been searching for Polaner's sugar free grape for ages, and just can't seem to find it in store. If you see it, where? I know I can order online, but I rarely get in moods for jelly, so generally don't see online ordering worth it.

@amy19355 I do eat slightly less than a full serving in order to keep sugar down. So, I'm not truly sol when I do give in and have jelly. I'm just wondering if people have eaten some that taste great.

• keithnphx
    keithnphx Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hello! I have found substitutes and low-xyz versions of most food that I eat by this point. However, grape jelly holds a very special place in my heart. I've held off eating it long enough, I can't any more.

C/F/P macros don't matter as much as the sugar content. I am looking for 6g or less, and as few ingredients as possible.

I really only eat grape. I wish I liked other flavors, my life would be much easier. :(

Polaner all fruit Concord grape is the best I can find at 8g sugar/9c/0f/0p. I can definitely taste the sugar in it (but that's par for the course - its jelly lol), but it doesn't distract from the flavor, and I eat it so rarely that it's ok. And, I eat slightly less than a full serving, so also ok.

If any of you have suggestions, for other brands, or perhaps something with less sugar, I'd love to hear them!

I find the sugar free jellies have an awful consistency. I use regular jelly using a level tablespoon as one serving. I log everything I eat. I don’t have any issues with the real stuff
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Polaners Grape is the best. I've tried Smuckers too and it is okay, but Polaners has the most "Grapey" flavor. I buy it for my husband who is diabetic but I eat it too. Makes a great PB&J sandwich.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    keithnphx wrote: »

I find the sugar free jellies have an awful consistency. I use regular jelly using a level tablespoon as one serving. I log everything I eat. I don’t have any issues with the real stuff

I agree. I tried a few and they just aren't worth it to me. Then again, my Grandma had tons of grape vines in her backyard and every year (starting as young as I can remember) we'd all go out there during harvest time and pick bags and bags of grapes for hours and then spend just as many hours prepping and boiling them and adding a ridiculous amount of sugar and jarring them to make grape jelly. Now nothing tastes as good as the real thing but I remember even as a small child seeing all those bags of sugar on the counter thinking, "That is A LOT of sugar!".
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    I thought it was going to be about a hoagie with only grape jelly inside the roll.
  • CarvedTones
    Options
    I thought it was going to be about a hoagie with only grape jelly inside the roll.

I could get on board with that; freshly baked unflavored bread. My preference would be strawberry jam, but grape jelly would work.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options

I could get on board with that; freshly baked unflavored bread. My preference would be strawberry jam, but grape jelly would work.

To be fair, you would use any reason to get on a board.

I'm no help on the grape jelly. Give me regular Welch's all day long.

Wait. That's not even true. Blackberry or raspberry or apricot for me.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

I'm with you on the strawberry jam. Other flavors are nice, but strawberry jam is classic. I'm not a fan of jellies. Too wobbly :tongue:
  • CarvedTones
    edited November 2018
    Options

To be fair, you would use any reason to get on a board.

I'm no help on the grape jelly. Give me regular Welch's all day long.

Wait. That's not even true. Blackberry or raspberry or apricot for me.

You're right about the board. Next year is going to make me crazy. I am getting a really good board for my birthday, right after Christmas. I fell in love with SUP paddling on a cheap one I got from Amazon that isn't the right board for some adventurous paddles I want to do. Then in January I will get a tear in one shoulder repaired. I have had it for a year and it really wasn't affected much by paddling and didn't really interfere; it causes a pushing problem rather than a pulling one, if that makes any sense. I was able to put up with it until I started hitting the gym trying to rehab it and failing miserably. Anyway, I won't be able to paddle until April and it will probably be June before I do some of the real adventurous stuff.

I like some jellies - apple and grape for example, strawberry and blackberry I prefer as jam, peach and apricot I prefer as preserves and I love orange marmalade. This may not be a lot of help to the OP, or maybe it is. I don't eat any of these all that often, so I always go with the real deal and just make room for it.
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Do you have a medical condition that requires low sugar? If not, I don't see why you'd have to stop eating something you love.
  • erjones11
    erjones11 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I'm confused do you really want the jelly or not? Even if the mood is rate it keeps for a long time in the fridge. Heck if I really wanted it I would order all three sugar free brands online and decide which I liked best by trying them. I've tried smuckers and it's fine to me but I'm accustomed to sugar free stuff.

• Kohanai
    Kohanai Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments folks. Yes, I do want jelly, otherwise I wouldn't have asked. Result is that I have taken most of the advice and just dealt with the sugar if I went over. I do not have a medical condition. I've just kept a low sugar/sodium diet for so long that if either spikes, it's noticeable. To the person who commented on making their own as a child - oh the memories!

Anyway, thanks again, and happy new year!
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

@Kohanai I took a screenshot of this for you- sugar free!

o2uj2tgk62zo.jpeg

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments folks. Yes, I do want jelly, otherwise I wouldn't have asked. Result is that I have taken most of the advice and just dealt with the sugar if I went over. I do not have a medical condition. I've just kept a low sugar/sodium diet for so long that if either spikes, it's noticeable. To the person who commented on making their own as a child - oh the memories!

Anyway, thanks again, and happy new year!

If you don't have a medical condition that makes limiting sugar necessary, you are splitting hairs for very little rate of return. Sugar doesn't make you fat. Excess calories do. Have the jelly you like and account for it in you calories. Going over your sugar goal is really meaningless. Sugar is just a carb. Hit you overall carb target and swap sugar out for something useful to track, like fiber.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Just posting the other side of that Walden Farms label. Personally, I'll stick with the sugar and fruit kind.
    k9plf9env5bs.gif