How easy to revert to old habits

Options
kds10
kds10 Posts: 452 Member
edited November 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Did great from end of March to August lost 25 lbs then have struggled since then...I did IF...18 6 day. I always tell myself even if u r going to eat junk keep it contained the within six hours but nope last 2 days are junk from morning thru to bedtime.

I seem to be doing that a few times week for the last couple of months...I had 8 lbs to go in early September thus no weight loss and even gain of 2 lbs

Even if I do good for 4 or 5 days per week my food bender wrecks it all
So close to goal why do I do this??.

Replies

• kds10
    Options
    amy19355 wrote: »
    In my case it was my inner child that I was allowing to control my food choices as if it were a game.

Everyone’s motivator is different; don’t give up on yourself.

Interesting explain please
  • jean133mjg
    jean133mjg Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing and I would love to know more about the inner child too. Please help, amy19355. You now have a captive audience.
  • Blythmag
    Blythmag Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    A lot of us have been there, its down to you to get back to doing what worked, im exactly the same , ive had a weekend of over indulging and my old ways are creeping in.ive only gone up a pound but it makes me think why bother and i slip back to bad old habits, its tough but only you can do it.

Keep going mate
  • kds10
    Options
    A lot of us have been there, its down to you to get back to doing what worked, im exactly the same , ive had a weekend of over indulging and my old ways are creeping in.ive only gone up a pound but it makes me think why bother and i slip back to bad old habits, its tough but only you can do it.

Keep going mate

It is almost like I think who cares I only have 8 lbs left to lose so even if I gain a bit....but it is like wtf keep doing this and by six months i will be up to where I was.

I tell myself if u r going to do that at least keep the eating contained to six hours but nope my triggers get activated and I go back to all or nothing way of thinking...and my well might as well blow today
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Sometimes this can happen if you're calorie intake is too low. Eventually your body simply can't sustain it. Maybe taking a break for a week or two and adjusting your calorie goal would be helpful.
  • maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I’ve had a few migraine lately which I find make me really crave lots of carbs which messes up my count. I was being gentle with myself (migraine are a *kitten*) but a couple of days of that and I just want to keep eating everything in sight. It is very difficult to pull it back in. I’m having to focus on one day not making it breaking a diet. Wake up and go for it again with a clean slate. And log everything good or bad so you can see it.
  • kds10
    Options
    I think for me 2 factors:
    1 - all or nothing mentality which I have had for years
    2- low fat ....for years low fat was my way of thinking in my head thus eating cheese/nuts etc triggers in me that I wrecked my day as those foods r high in fat
  • kds10
    Options
    Also, doesn't sound like IF is really helping you?

Disagree. .if not for IF I do not believe I would have lost 25 lbs. Even though I have been hit and miss with it the last few months I always go back to it.
  • timeforwork
    timeforwork Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    It may be IF helped get rid of most of the weight but now you are closer to your goal the margin for error is much smaller so a different approach is needed. I do IF but within that eating window I also count calories, I have to as even with two stone left to lose, eating whatever I want results in Weight gain. Do you also track your calories?
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I can revert back to old habits if my routine is thrown off or I am extremely stressed or work more which makes me forget to eat or makes me so tired I don't want to cook and instead go grab a sandwich from the convenience store. Very easy for me to fall back into bad habits.
  • HeyJudii
    HeyJudii Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    For me, the "inner child" thing is a kind of, "nah, na, nah, na, nah nah, you can't make me, I will do what I want! :p "
    Also for me, eating healthy and being active takes determination, dedication and commitment. In a sense strictness. I had a severely strict upbringing and became a rebellious teenager. Overly strict restrictions on my behavior and activities? "I'll show you!" So, it seems I am programmed to continue this behavior.

But, I am an adult now. I am in control (mostly) of what I can and can not do. I try to nip this knee-jerk behavior in the bud, but being human, I am not always successful. *I just pick myself up. Dust myself off. And start all over again. ;)

First though, I (briefly) stop everything I have been doing. Take a break. Review my routines. What is causing me to rebel? Am I overly restrictive in my calories? Am I doing too much activity to sustain long-term? What needs to be revised?

*(It all reminds me of something my cousin said when we were little kids and she was asked why she was so late getting home from school: "I run-ded and I fall-ded and I got up again. And then I run-ded and I fall-ded and I got up again. All the way home." :D )
  • _aenyeweddien_
    _aenyeweddien_ Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I know it's far from perfect, but I have a cheat day once a month. That way if I get any cravings, I keep myself going by explaining to myself I can have what I want at the end of the month:)