Opinions on Slimfast Shakes.

Options
annlyric
annlyric Posts: 53 Member
edited November 2018 in Food and Nutrition
Hi! I’ve been doing logging for about 2 weeks now. I’ve seen some good progress so far.

I do have a question about how “namebrand” health shakes compare to generic ones, particularly the Slimfast plan. I am a college student so I am looking for something healthy to grab and go in the mornings. I have made my own protein shakes but I have finals coming up and studying has really taken out a lot of free time to meal plan. Price is a big concern obviously, but more importantly I want something that actually works and keeps me full so I don’t stop by the vending machines in the common room. I’ve googled and found pros and cons about the brand Slimfast specifically, and I do have some concerns about it not actually working. It also seems a bit pricey. If anyone has any personal experience with Slimfast (or other health shake brands) I would love to hear your opinions so I can decide if a Slimfast plan is something I’d want to invest in.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• annlyric
    annlyric Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    You two big concerns are satiety and a low price, which a pre-packaged protein drink fulfills neither, unless you actually enjoy drinking your meals instead of chewing them.

Things like SlimFast and Atkins shakes are going to be more expensive than making your own shakes and they offer nothing special that you can't get elsewhere. If you really want to drink protein shakes, buy a bin of protein powder and toss 2 scoops into a shaker before leaving the house. That requires about 30 seconds and no planning.

Also, you say you're worried about it "not working." It's not magic. It's just food that is in a can. You lose weight by eating less than you burn, whether that is in SlimFast, sandwiches, hamburgers or cookies.

Thanks for the answer! I realize I may have not been clear on what I meant by it “not working”. I’m not looking at the losing weight aspect as much as their claim that shakes such as theirs keep you fuller longer, since I am at college early morning until late afternoon with classes back to back and work right after.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    annlyric wrote: »
    You two big concerns are satiety and a low price, which a pre-packaged protein drink fulfills neither, unless you actually enjoy drinking your meals instead of chewing them.

Things like SlimFast and Atkins shakes are going to be more expensive than making your own shakes and they offer nothing special that you can't get elsewhere. If you really want to drink protein shakes, buy a bin of protein powder and toss 2 scoops into a shaker before leaving the house. That requires about 30 seconds and no planning.

Also, you say you're worried about it "not working." It's not magic. It's just food that is in a can. You lose weight by eating less than you burn, whether that is in SlimFast, sandwiches, hamburgers or cookies.

Thanks for the answer! I realize I may have not been clear on what I meant by it “not working”. I’m not looking at the losing weight aspect as much as their claim that shakes such as theirs keep you fuller longer, since I am at college early morning until late afternoon with classes back to back and work right after.
    I don’t find any shakes keep me full. If I was looking for a quick, portable snack that’s at least somewhat filling, I’d much rather eat a protein bar.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    annlyric wrote: »

I don’t find any shakes keep me full. If I was looking for a quick, portable snack that’s at least somewhat filling, I’d much rather eat a protein bar.

As well as fruit and veg that don't require refrigeration. There are all sorts of grab and go foods. Flavored tuna tins with a pull tab, for example.
  • Keep_on_cardio
    Keep_on_cardio Posts: 4,166 Member
    Options
    When I tried slimfast in my younger years, the shake didn’t fill me. Also for the carb count and calories, I rather make my own shake or have healthy prepped snacks. I find prepping healthy snacks to go and grab, or preparing salads are more helpful.
  • MsBaz2018
    MsBaz2018 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I have used slim fast but as a snack before. It wouldn't satisfy me for long as a meal.
  • 23rochelle23
    23rochelle23 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I have friends who rave about huel as a meal replacement shake for satiety (some add things like protein powder and fruit to it and some have it straight). These aren’t friends necessarily trying to lose weight but primarily to get them through a 12 hour shift.
    The weight loss ones tend to be low calorie so likely won’t tide you over for very long
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I would sometimes get the Equate shakes at Walmart and keep a few in my desk. Shakes don't explicitly require refrigeration; they are just better cold. I never planned to have them; they were for the times I needed to work through lunch, like an urgent conference call wedged between other commitments. rather than skip lunch I would have one. I have switched to protein bars; catching sales I get various ones for about $1 that are 20 to 30 grams of protein and 180 to 330 calories. 30 grams and 350 calories can actually make you come out ahead for keeping calories down because it is more filling. In the same vein, sometimes I pick up a Muscle Milk low cal 32g (I think) at about 150 calories and it keeps me much fuller than the SlimFast clone. Kind of pricey though.