Rant: Baby Weight did NOT take 9 months to put on!

Options
"Well, it took you 9 months to put the weight on, so it will take at least that long to take it off." BS! OK, I'm sorry, I just see that and similar responses to people complaining about the slowwww progress of weight loss, and I just had to get that off of my chest. I absolutely did not experience a slow steady gain of weight over the course of 9 months. I was sick as a dog for the first 5 months with DD and the first 7 months with DS. At first I lost weight, then gained no weight, and with in the span of about 3 months, put on a good 30 lbs! I'm just speaking up for us post partum mamas who did not experience the magical "the weight just came off without me doing anything" weight loss. For my part, that weight gain was rapid and sudden. Never seen anything like it in my life!

Now, of course I'm not expecting to lose it as quickly as I gained it, but let's not pretend that there's some proportional relationship between weight loss and weight gain! OK...I'm done.

Replies

• MercKlebba
    MercKlebba Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Right there with ya. I wasn't interested in food until the last half of the second trimester, and the third could have been defined as an eating frenzy. Now, it just won't come off. I'm trying though.
  • kgesq
    kgesq Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I actually wish it WAS true that it would take just as long to take it off as it did to put it on. I'd be at my goal and then some by now! LOL
  • kgesq
    Options
    I actually wish it WAS true that it would take just as long to take it off as it did to put it on. I'd be at my goal and then some by now! LOL
  • mamax5
    mamax5 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I get ya completely....people are saying the same stuff to me. I want to be the same size I was 10 yrs ago.....I said that to someone and they said that it took ten year s to put it on.....grrrr, it took me 6 months to put on 80lbs and then another to 6 to gain 40lbs.....I did loose the 40 only to gain it back....sigh, but I have lost 15lbs since March. It's just annoying to hear comments like.
  • chellaJKR
    chellaJKR Posts: 146
    Options
    Some people do gain weight through their entire pregnancy. Just because YOU didn't, does not make other people incorrect.
    Everyone is different, and it's embarassing to go around preaching your own experience as if that is the ONLY possibility.
  • kgesq
    Options
    Some people do gain weight through their entire pregnancy. Just because YOU didn't, does not make other people incorrect.
    Everyone is different, and it's embarassing to go around preaching your own experience as if that is the ONLY possibility.

Actually, if someone is telling me that, it does make it incorrect, and it's actually incorrect for a lot of people. It's also a statement based on ignorance because again, the weight loss and weight gain associated with pregnancy does not have any sort of relationship in terms of how long it takes to come off. Consequently, this statement is incorrect.

What should be embarrassing is coming into a post just to say something insulting and misspelling "embarrassing" in the process
  • chellaJKR
    chellaJKR Posts: 146
    Options
    "Actually, if someone is telling me that, it does make it incorrect"
    In your original post you said it bothered you when people say the comment to OTHER people who are talking about how sloooooow the weight is coming off. Not that someone said it to you.

If someone posts something that suggests that your life experiences aren't the end all be all for everyones lives you shouldn't get your panties in a bunch.
    Everyone is allowed to type on these boards, even those with different opinions! It would be a shame for someone who didn't barf the first 5 months of their pregnancy to feel bad about their weight loss efforts because of someone elses experience coming across as law.
  • Mamapengu
    Mamapengu Posts: 250
    Options
  • kgesq
    Options
    What...are you talking about? No one is trying to make anyone feel bad about their weight loss efforts. I see this response on this board a lot (and quite sarcastically I might add) and I've heard it directed at me IRL. And why are you focusing on who barfed when? Weight gain in pregnancy--no matter who you are--is typically (meaning more than just my life experiences, thank you) marked by varying rates in weight gain with the bulk of them occuring in a short amount of time--namely the second trimester. And you're getting your panties in a bunch why, exactly? Because you'd hate to hypothetically feel bad for someone who didn't barf IF I happened to be trying to make them feel bad about weight loss--when I'm not? Um..OK.
    "Actually, if someone is telling me that, it does make it incorrect"
    In your original post you said it bothered you when people say the comment to OTHER people who are talking about how sloooooow the weight is coming off. Not that someone said it to you.

If someone posts something that suggests that your life experiences aren't the end all be all for everyones lives you shouldn't get your panties in a bunch.
    Everyone is allowed to type on these boards, even those with different opinions! It would be a shame for someone who didn't barf the first 5 months of their pregnancy to feel bad about their weight loss efforts because of someone elses experience coming across as law.
  • kgesq
    Options
    I get ya completely....people are saying the same stuff to me. I want to be the same size I was 10 yrs ago.....I said that to someone and they said that it took ten year s to put it on.....grrrr, it took me 6 months to put on 80lbs and then another to 6 to gain 40lbs.....I did loose the 40 only to gain it back....sigh, but I have lost 15lbs since March. It's just annoying to hear comments like.

Yeah, it does happen that way. I was always pretty thin from college up into my 30's. Then when I hit my mid thirties, I gained 20 lbs in a year! I'll never know if I could have gotten it off in a year because I got pregnant soon after, but I know with baby weight, that was exponential! If I didn't see the bulging belly, I would not have believed how fast it came on. Especially after I lost so much in the beginning!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I feel ya! I was sick all nine months. I actually lost weight and was literally 102 pounds through my sixth month. I gave birth at 155.

I did take it off pretty quickly (back to pre-baby body in about 6 months), BUT ... I was 17 and I walked a lot and my metabolism was much different back then than now.

I also was very lucky to have gained all the weight in my tummy, so if you looked at any other part of my body, you wouldn't have known I was pregnant.
  • kgesq
    Options
    I feel ya! I was sick all nine months. I actually lost weight and was literally 102 pounds through my sixth month. I gave birth at 155.

I did take it off pretty quickly (back to pre-baby body in about 6 months), BUT ... I was 17 and I walked a lot and my metabolism was much different back then than now.

I also was very lucky to have gained all the weight in my tummy, so if you looked at any other part of my body, you wouldn't have known I was pregnant.

LOL! It's so funny how different people have different experiences. I wish someone could explain why the weight is so resistant for some and for others (like one of my best g.f.'s) they can eat snickers and cake all day and lose baby weight in a few months. Someone on this site was saying how she lost 30 lbs in 3 months just by breastfeeding. I breastfed both my kids for a year and lost 0 with the first and gained 10 with the second. All bets are off when it comes to baby weight, I say.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I think it's the same with all weight. Some people just have faster metabolisms. I used to have one of those. I miss it terribly.
  • kgesq
    Options
    I think it's the same with all weight. Some people just have faster metabolisms. I used to have one of those. I miss it terribly.

Number 5,000,00017 on the list of things in life that are not fair. LOL. Like I said, I didn't really get a chance to see if my regular "just ate too much and didn't work out" weight would have come off in proportion to how fast I put it on. But if I was able to lose baby weight at the rate I put it on, I'd be on Oprah talking about my miracle 2-month weight loss! LOL It was basically like the bell curve. Nothing at the front of the curve, a big swell in the middle (although mine was closer to the end) and then just a pound here and there for the next few weeks leading up to birth. With my last baby I did see a pretty rapid initial weight loss from having the baby (more than my first pregnancy) so I got a "glimpse" of what it must be like, but it plateaued in no time!
  • rml_16
    Options
    I think in general, it doesn't take as long to take it off as to put it on, especially if it's a large amount.

Someone in this thread mentioned it taking 10 years to put on. I doubt it took that long to take back off. I guess it depends on how much weight it is, though, and how big of a life chage you make. My baby weight came off pretty easy, but like I said, I was very young!
  • kgesq
    Options
    This is all new to me, but I know that safe,effective weightloss is rarely ever quick (except in cases of women who can lose that babyweight overnight :D) I hope being very committed at least will get me close to my goal. Since "just letting it happen" naturally didn't work out so well LOL
    I think in general, it doesn't take as long to take it off as to put it on, especially if it's a large amount.

Someone in this thread mentioned it taking 10 years to put on. I doubt it took that long to take back off. I guess it depends on how much weight it is, though, and how big of a life chage you make. My baby weight came off pretty easy, but like I said, I was very young!
  • rml_16
    Options
    "Slow" means 1-2 pounds per week. And the more you weigh, the more you can lose per week and it still be safe and effective.

I do know that it took me 12 weeks to drop from a size 12 to a size 6 and I did it "slow and safe." Especially when you exercise, your body tightens up and you get smaller than even the amount of weight lost suggests.
  • SusanRN2b
    SusanRN2b Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Honestly, when people say that they don't mean it as a scientific fact. They are just saying that to put it in perspective, so folks don't have unrealistic expectations.
  • kgesq
    Options
    "Slow" means 1-2 pounds per week. And the more you weigh, the more you can lose per week and it still be safe and effective.

I do know that it took me 12 weeks to drop from a size 12 to a size 6 and I did it "slow and safe." Especially when you exercise, your body tightens up and you get smaller than even the amount of weight lost suggests.

That's awesome, that's exactly what I'm trying to do, although I don't think I'll make it in 12 weeks. I know people don't really mean it literally, but it doesn't really have the calming effect they think it will. LOL I think it's almost insult to injury. The weight gain is so rapid during pregnancy, it feels (and kind of is) so out of your control. When it comes off at a significantly slower pace, it feels like such a raw deal.
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Yyyeeaaa.... I gained 70lb in the last 5 months of pregnancy. SICK and UNNATURAL.
    But I agree with you.