Which grocery stores do you prefer?

Options

Replies

• puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Target for most pre-packaged food, Sprouts for perishables (produce, meat, dairy), and Whole Foods for bread. Unfortunately there a few things I love that I can't find at Target or Sprouts, so in those cases Whole Foods and Albertsons are the way to go.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Wegmans, Aldi and Trader Joes. I'll go to WalMart if I have to, but it's just too big. LOL Like, if I want dog food and milk in the same trip, I shouldn't have to walk a mile to get from one side of the store to the other.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,248 Member
    Options
    Depends what I need...

I use Aldi and Meijer for my weekly shopping. Aldi doesn't have everything I need/want most of the time, but the amount I save from doing only a portion of my shopping is more then worth it. Plus, the two stores are on the same street, like 3 minutes apart in bad traffic so the extra stop doesn't really cause any problems.

Once a month I go to Trader Joes for a few meals for my freezer. I love their Palaak Paneer, chicken pot pies, and mac and cheese meals. Plus their Naan, hashbrowns, and a few other things.

I also hit up the local Asian and Indian groceries about once a month (or as needed for special ingredients).
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's is my favorite, but the nearest one is four hours away. I make do with Walmart and a local place called Farmer's Country Market. I go to Walmart for affordable basics, and FCM for the fancy and/or weird stuff I like.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Shop Rite is closest to me, but has recently raised prices on lots of things, making it worth it for me to drive to Wegman's. Besides, Wegman's has better produce.

To illustrate how worth it the trip is, There's a $3.00 difference in the price of a tub of Fage yogurt between the two stores. It's crazy.

However, there are products that Shop Rite has that we need that Wegman's doesn't, so I still go to Shop Rite for them.

Speaking of products certain stores have, I go to Whole Foods for their meat and a few other things and Trader Joe's for some other things, but those aren't frequent stops.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Wegmans, Aldi and Trader Joes. I'll go to WalMart if I have to, but it's just too big. LOL Like, if I want dog food and milk in the same trip, I shouldn't have to walk a mile to get from one side of the store to the other.

This is a time honored merchandising tactic designed to get shoppers exposed to ALL the products in the store so that hopefully they do not just buy the milk
    And the dog food, or the lettuce and the eggs.

I use the grocery to get in 750 steps every time I go there; don’t care if I only need eggs and lettuce, I power walk every aisle every time. Takes very little time and I get a little extra smug for myself, taking advantage of the climate controlled well lit walking space!
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    I need to preface this saying that I live in Switzerland. :wink:

There's an Aldi, a Lidl, a Landi and a local meat wholesaler (great quality, lowish prices, locally sources) all accessible using the same parking lot.

So I usually head to the Landi to buy water / soda / juices / local seasonal fruit / flour (Landi is a cooperative geared toward farming requirements. They only have a very small store brand selection of stuff which is locally sources and has great prices). Then head to the Lidl for whatever sale caught our eye in their ads.

Mom will head to the aldi for produce and non-local fruits (think mango, pomegranate, oranges and such) and whatever sale caught our eye in their ads. We don't always get the exact product we want (brand/composition), but we're creative enough cooks to make pretty much everything work in the context of whatever meal we're planing.

The coop and migros in town I only go for some very specific items (we head there about once every 2-3 weeks depending on what we've run out of).
    Coop: coffee beans - one very specific brand (I haven't found an equivalent coffee at one of the others that I like), their store brand parmesan cheese (it's the cheapest, but the one I like best), bourbon vanilla (not available at any of the other 4 stores) and corn starch (couldn't find it at any of the other stores either...)
    Migros: store brand skyr (rather, the Swiss equivalent) and the store brand cleaning products (cheap and pretty much the best I found = don't give me a headache :tongue: )

We've cut our grocery store budget in half since we started shopping this way. It's a bit more time consuming, but since there's 2 of us, it works out pretty well (it's a good thing we both have car keys :tongue: ) - our weekly grocery shopping is usually done in 30 minutes.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    I need to preface this saying that I live in Switzerland. :wink:

There's an Aldi, a Lidl, a Landi and a local meat wholesaler (great quality, lowish prices, locally sources) all accessible using the same parking lot.

So I usually head to the Landi to buy water / soda / juices / local seasonal fruit / flour (Landi is a cooperative geared toward farming requirements. They only have a very small store brand selection of stuff which is locally sources and has great prices). Then head to the Lidl for whatever sale caught our eye in their ads.

Mom will head to the aldi for produce and non-local fruits (think mango, pomegranate, oranges and such) and whatever sale caught our eye in their ads. We don't always get the exact product we want (brand/composition), but we're creative enough cooks to make pretty much everything work in the context of whatever meal we're planing.

The coop and migros in town I only go for some very specific items (we head there about once every 2-3 weeks depending on what we've run out of).
    Coop: coffee beans - one very specific brand (I haven't found an equivalent coffee at one of the others that I like), their store brand parmesan cheese (it's the cheapest, but the one I like best), bourbon vanilla (not available at any of the other 4 stores) and corn starch (couldn't find it at any of the other stores either...)
    Migros: store brand skyr (rather, the Swiss equivalent) and the store brand cleaning products (cheap and pretty much the best I found = don't give me a headache :tongue: )

We've cut our grocery store budget in half since we started shopping this way. It's a bit more time consuming, but since there's 2 of us, it works out pretty well (it's a good thing we both have car keys :tongue: ) - our weekly grocery shopping is usually done in 30 minutes.

I’ve been to a Lidl in Germany! It reminded me of a gas station lol! It was the only grocery store in the area though so we made a lot of trips!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Lidl is slowly starting to open up in the US - there are a few in the northern virginia area
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Sprouts is my favorite but they are a bit pricey to be my regular grocery store. Typically, I go to Target or Smiths.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    We do 90%+ of our grocery shopping at Costco. Pick up things here and there at Sprouts. Occasional specialty items from Trader Joe's.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Aldi 100%. I can't imagine doing the bulk of my grocery shopping at the regular grocery stores (Around here we have a Price Chopper and a Hy-Vee). I am outraged by the prices every time I go to either one of those stores, primarily Hy-Vee. (I hate hy-vee, they are trying to put off a more "uppity" image and it just annoys me.)

I also buy my meat in bulk(ish) at Sams club. I want to switch to Costco but for the other items we buy (dog food, TP, etc) Sams club is cheaper, so I guess we'll stay there.

I refuse to go to whole foods, and I have never been to a Trader Joe's. We have a couple near here but the closest is like 30 minutes away. We also have a Sprouts but that comes across as similar to Whole Foods and so, I have never been inside.
  • hesn92
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Aldi is inexpensive, isn't it -- that would be a reason to like it.

I've never been there because it's never been convenient for me, and I only go to grocery stores I can walk to. (I do keep toying with whether joining CostCo would be worth it, and I'd drive there.)

I do the majority of my shopping at Aldi. I save so much money shopping there, it's insane. If I bought the same things at a Hy-vee or something, I would easily spend close to double. I have a family of 4 so I need the savings. Although I usually can't get everything I need. Most weeks there's at least a couple things I need to stop at the regular grocery store for, but it's worth it to me.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I don't live in the US so I don't have any of the stores that are mentioned here, but my wife and I bought our apartment in a large part because it is a 3 minute walk from a nice supermarket. I do most of my base shopping there, and go to a specialty produce market to get most of the fruits and veggies.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Publix for me. I feel they have the best produce and meats for the "regular" grocery stores. They also carry my favorite Deli meat, and I've only ever seen it at Publix, Kroger, or military bases.
    We have a WF in town but I feel they are overpriced on most items and what little extra quality over publix you find isn't usually worth the mark up, for me anyway; I'm sure it's worth it to others.
    I do like Sprouts, but the Sprouts here is on the other side of the county and not worth the drive for me. I do occasionally stop there if I'm over that way for something else.
    Also, at all the publix I've ever been to, all the employees are nice and helpful. Like the grocery version of Chif Fil-A
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Kroger stores, Natural Grocers, Target, and ethnic markets, mostly.

I also go to Aldi once a month for a few items but find their stock to be very hit and miss so I can't shop there for the bulk of my groceries. The nearest Trader Joe's is about 2 hours away and I go there a few times per year but less than impressed with it. It's fun to check out.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    I like Market Basket for staples, but there isn't one close to me, so I go to the one in Mom's town when I am there and have time.

Shaw's is the closest to me, but I go there just for sale items, because they are the most expensive.

Actually Walmart is closest, but it's a small one, and doesn't have any produce, and limited selection, so I get super basic non-perishable staples there.

I also go to Stop & Shop, depending on their sales.

I like Whole Foods for meat and protein powder, and some other stuff, and love that they have delivery now. I can usually pick up a coupon from Prime that covers the cost of the tip, and if not, well, delivery saved me all that time driving there and shopping.

I probably go to one supermarket plus Walmart a week.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »

I've never been there because it's never been convenient for me, and I only go to grocery stores I can walk to. (I do keep toying with whether joining CostCo would be worth it, and I'd drive there.)

I do the majority of my shopping at Aldi. I save so much money shopping there, it's insane. If I bought the same things at a Hy-vee or something, I would easily spend close to double. I have a family of 4 so I need the savings. Although I usually can't get everything I need. Most weeks there's at least a couple things I need to stop at the regular grocery store for, but it's worth it to me.

Interesting. I have never been to Aldi.

I have always had a good experience with Hy-Vee in terms of selection, cost and quality of products. We switched to doing the bulk of our grocery shopping at Hy-Vee vs. Walmart and started spending $30-50 less. I get a lot of store brand items which saves us a bunch. I order groceries online and we pick them up. If the store did not have that feature we would probably stick to the Walmart down the street.

When I was a kid in another place we shopped at No Frills Supermarket and shunned Hy-Vee as being too expensive.

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I like Market Basket for staples, but there isn't one close to me, so I go to the one in Mom's town when I am there and have time.

Shaw's is the closest to me, but I go there just for sale items, because they are the most expensive.

Actually Walmart is closest, but it's a small one, and doesn't have any produce, and limited selection, so I get super basic non-perishable staples there.

I also go to Stop & Shop, depending on their sales.

I like Whole Foods for meat and protein powder, and some other stuff, and love that they have delivery now. I can usually pick up a coupon from Prime that covers the cost of the tip, and if not, well, delivery saved me all that time driving there and shopping.

I probably go to one supermarket plus Walmart a week.

We only have the little Walmarts too, and I've never been in one of those, and have never actually shopped in any Walmart (although I've been in one on occasion with other people when traveling).
  • hesn92
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    hesn92 wrote: »

Interesting. I have never been to Aldi.

I have always had a good experience with Hy-Vee in terms of selection, cost and quality of products. We switched to doing the bulk of our grocery shopping at Hy-Vee vs. Walmart and started spending $30-50 less. I get a lot of store brand items which saves us a bunch. I order groceries online and we pick them up. If the store did not have that feature we would probably stick to the Walmart down the street.

When I was a kid in another place we shopped at No Frills Supermarket and shunned Hy-Vee as being too expensive.

I don't know if they are doing this everywhere, but where I live they are trying to make Hy-vee a real uppity place. They put a restaurant/bar in, a large cafeteria (where the chinese and stuff is) a starbucks, a beauty section with a bunch of bath bombs and soaps etc. Every time I buy anything from Hy-vee I always remark how much more expensive it is than Aldi. Their restaurant and cafeteria style food is also really mediocre and over-priced. That whole store is a huge disappointment to me. But, people seem to like it so what do I know.