The gain challenge for high metabolism

Options
I’m 6’2” , 31 yr old and am now 184 lbs
I was 192 lbs and in great shape before I went through a rough patch in life. Lost 30 lbs in a month.
I’m now focusing on a good eating habit , no junk food, little or no processed food, no pop or juice.
Struggling to force feed myself but after a couple weeks of meal planning I’ve noticed I’m putting on more weight and the eating is getting easier since my body is now used to the food intake.

I need about 2400 calories for me to maintain and 2600 for a small gain with weight lifting and core training. In a month and a half I’ve gained 13 lbs and can notice in progress pics. It’s a huge confidence booster seeing the little bit of difference.
Rice everyday, eggs everyday, lots of veggies, wild meat, dairy and nuts and seeds for snacks.
Force feeding is hard, you feel sick a lot but it does get easier when your body gets used to a full stomach.
Don’t give up, baby steps to where you want to be, and have a goal.
My goal is to eventually go into a physique contest, so I started with the eating habit. I’m currently lifting weights at home , core training and hit the gym once In a blue moon lol. My next step is working out more and I notice the more I work out the hungrier I get and without feeling sick when I eat what I should be.
Once I get into the habit of hitting the gym a few times a week I will reevaluate my intakes and go from there to get to the competition. I wish everyone luck that’s on here struggling with weight gains/ loss. Cheers, and feel free to write your tips, suggestions and stories

Replies

• Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Fat intake manipulation is a pretty good strategy if you need to manipulate kcals & struggle with sheer volume intake. No need to go crazy, but small changes can easily result in a few hundred kcal differences per day (i.e 0% greek yogurt -> 2%, 96% lean beef -> 92% etc. same volume, slightly higher kcals)
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    You were 192 but lost 30 pounds ... that would put you at 152. A 13 pound gain puts you at 165. You are now at 184. There is a discrepancy in your numbers. Is the weight gain you are reporting the gains you have since you started training only? Please, I'm not really nitpicking your story I'm just trying to get what's going on straight in my head. I've had a "rough patch" in the past too. My rough patch was caused by a severe illness and cost me 100 pounds of mass. However, that was over a 12 month period. I can't imagine losing 30 pounds in a single month. Heck, I don't think a water fast would drop that much weight in 4 weeks. If you don't mind me asking - what caused this weight loss? Was it a medical reason and does that reason shape your diet and are you on any type of aftercare medication that can affect your progress or diet?

You say you were in good shape - so I imagine that a large percentage of that loss was unfortunately muscle. The good news is that, at least for me, muscle memory played a significant roll in letting me gain much of my lean mass back relatively quickly. The others in this thread have touched upon your diet choices so I'll just add that you can still maintain your eating style and avoid processed foods - if you can't stand the thought of eating "dirty"... but you are going to have to really be careful with your selections or you might find yourself running into a volume issue once your calorie intake climbs... and it should. I maintain on 3.5K - I've maintained at around 205 now for the last month. I'm a bit shorter than you at 6'1 but my requirements aren't unusual.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    ice cream
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    You were 192 but lost 30 pounds ... that would put you at 152. A 13 pound gain puts you at 165. You are now at 184. There is a discrepancy in your numbers. Is the weight gain you are reporting the gains you have since you started training only? Please, I'm not really nitpicking your story I'm just trying to get what's going on straight in my head. I've had a "rough patch" in the past too. My rough patch was caused by a severe illness and cost me 100 pounds of mass. However, that was over a 12 month period. I can't imagine losing 30 pounds in a single month. Heck, I don't think a water fast would drop that much weight in 4 weeks. If you don't mind me asking - what caused this weight loss? Was it a medical reason and does that reason shape your diet and are you on any type of aftercare medication that can affect your progress or diet?

You say you were in good shape - so I imagine that a large percentage of that loss was unfortunately muscle. The good news is that, at least for me, muscle memory played a significant roll in letting me gain much of my lean mass back relatively quickly. The others in this thread have touched upon your diet choices so I'll just add that you can still maintain your eating style and avoid processed foods - if you can't stand the thought of eating "dirty"... but you are going to have to really be careful with your selections or you might find yourself running into a volume issue once your calorie intake climbs... and it should. I maintain on 3.5K - I've maintained at around 205 now for the last month. I'm a bit shorter than you at 6'1 but my requirements aren't unusual.

You should recheck your math ;) . But there is still a 9 lb discrepancy

192-30 = 162 + 13 = 175
  • jseams1234
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    jseams1234 wrote: »

You should recheck your math ;) . But there is still a 9 lb discrepancy

192-30 = 162 + 13 = 175

Lol - yeah, I realized that a bit after I posted. I was at the gym and forgot my phone. Just got home and an edit is no longer an option.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    ...Also, be careful with gaining a ton of weight quickly. At 6 weeks, you seem to be gaining 2lbs a week, which is really aggressive.
    ^ A point worth addressing. Gaining too quickly means that more of it will be fat. You can only put on so much muscle, the rest will be adipose tissue. Great read about it here: https://bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/muscle-gain-math.html/
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    2600 equals high metabolism.....?
    What would I be considered currently eating 5000 then? Lol
    No such thing as a fast metabolism or “hard gainer” you’re just an under eater. I can easily give you ways to get in 3000 cals before noon....
  • RyRoWest
    RyRoWest Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yeah my math was off , first post and tried to squeeze it in before my boss got back lol.
    I was 192 lbs then went through a rough patch in my marriage, almost went through a divorce , lost all of my will to eat, when I did I would throw up from stress plus still worked my active job in construction. When I got down to approx 170 lbs, smoothed out my marriage, got over the stress and back on the be healthy lifestyle. Weighed in this weekend at 188 lbs.
    I’m eating a ton of rice, dairy, smoothies, protein powder, wild game for meat, eggs, rye bread, *kitten* ton of veggies and fruit.
    I appreciate everyone being apart of my story here.
    And I apologize for the math confusion.
    It’s nice to see and hear everyone else’s stories and tips/tricks to keep the calorie intake high and easy.
    I’m really getting into the habit of working out every second day and like jseams1234 added muscle memory hopefully play a big part in getting back up there. My heaviest was 204 lbs but not cut. I want to get back to that weight but have it healthy. One day at a time.

• RyRoWest
    Options
    Also I was instructed to have an intake of 2600 cal. I thought it was low but that was for being less active, now that I’m working out more I should be adding a few more calories.

What’s your favourite cal. Packed meal/snacks?
  • jseams1234
    edited November 2018
    Options
    RyRoWest wrote: »
    Yeah my math was off , first post and tried to squeeze it in before my boss got back lol.
    I was 192 lbs then went through a rough patch in my marriage, almost went through a divorce , lost all of my will to eat, when I did I would throw up from stress plus still worked my active job in construction. When I got down to approx 170 lbs, smoothed out my marriage, got over the stress and back on the be healthy lifestyle. Weighed in this weekend at 188 lbs.
    I’m eating a ton of rice, dairy, smoothies, protein powder, wild game for meat, eggs, rye bread, *kitten* ton of veggies and fruit.
    I appreciate everyone being apart of my story here.
    And I apologize for the math confusion.
    It’s nice to see and hear everyone else’s stories and tips/tricks to keep the calorie intake high and easy.
    I’m really getting into the habit of working out every second day and like jseams1234 added muscle memory hopefully play a big part in getting back up there. My heaviest was 204 lbs but not cut. I want to get back to that weight but have it healthy. One day at a time.

I can totally understand this. I'm the same way - I just can't eat when I'm stressed. I can go from famished to not able to eat a bite. I've always been puzzled by people who stress eat... seems so foreign to me.

Also I was instructed to have an intake of 2600 cal. I thought it was low but that was for being less active, now that I’m working out more I should be adding a few more calories.

I have a habit of relying way too heavily on whey protein shakes to hit that macro - but I consider it "food" and it's relatively low calorie and allows me a good bit of dietary leeway. I'm also not adverse to buying huge bags of Totino's Pizza Rolls and using them to hit my goals. They are easy to eat and it doesn't take many of them to add a significant bump. ;) ... but then again, I'm a firm believer that as long as you meet your nutritional needs you get no bonus points for being "clean". I'm also lazy and logging some types of home cooked meals is a real pain in the *kitten*... so there is that. I'm also not adverse to using the blender and adding a high calorie smoothie/shake in at the end of the day if I'm short. Luckily, my eating habits still leave me with great blood-work and good results, although I'm sure part of that is maybe just lucky genetics.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter.
  • RyRoWest
    Options
    Yass! I eat a lot of peanuts and peanut butter, pancakes and smoothies is usually what it goes with.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I tend to eat red meats and fatty fish. Lots of eggs, cheese and things like guac. Although, i can eat tons of volume.

• FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Chug egg nog, cookies, cake, pie, chocolate