Do you cheat meal while on your weight loss journey?

Options
Hello everyone,
I would like your thoughts when it comes to cheat meals, not so much day. I lost a significant amount a weight a long time ago without having a cheat day. But the first day I had a cheat meal which was pizza I about had a panic attack (not literally) . This time around trying to get back , I’m a month in but idk how I feel about cheat meal. Such as a burger but no fries or soda. What are your thoughts

Replies

• Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I would not call it a cheat meal as it is not. On my journey I regularly had an overdayAbout once every 2-3 months or so
    I looked forward to it. It was a celebration and it was a sanity day. I logged it savoured it and moved on.
    It is about balance and that means learning how to deal with food and occasions too
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    sandyy0605 wrote: »
    Hello everyone,
    I would like your thoughts when it comes to cheat meals, not so much day. I lost a significant amount a weight a long time ago without having a cheat day. But the first day I had a cheat meal which was pizza I about had a panic attack (not literally) . This time around trying to get back , I’m a month in but idk how I feel about cheat meal. Such as a burger but no fries or soda. What are your thoughts

Nope, i fit food i like into my weekly calorie goal.
  • MeganReid1991
    MeganReid1991 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I do. I tend to eat lower calories during the week to leave room for a extra glass of wine or a poutine on the weekend.
    I try and think of it as balance though out the week instead of balance though out the day.
  • witchaywoman81
    witchaywoman81 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I’m still relatively new at this, but I’ve learned a couple things that changed my mindset compared with previous “diets”:

- nothing is off-limits
    - You don’t need to starve yourself
    - Set reasonable goals

That said, I agree with others in this thread. I don’t need to have a “cheat” meal because I eat what I want, within my calorie goal, every day. Good luck to you!
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    I don't call it a cheat meal. I realized a long time ago that if my eating plan requires me to make drastic changes that I won't be able to sustain for a lifetime, it's not a diet plan worth following. I will fail and fail miserably. I eat the things I like but less of it and make room in my calories for all the foods I like.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I don't cheat. But I can't fathom why a burger with no fries would count as "cheating" anyway. If you like burgers, find a way to fit them into your calories. Same for pizza, you may find the amount that fits into your calories is disappointing and not worth doing very often, but the pizza police will not arrest you for breaking your diet.

If you need a break once in a while in order to fit in your favorite foods, eating at your maintenance calories once a week is a useful tactic. That way you know you are not setting yourself back, just slowing down your rate of loss by a day.
  • DawnOfTheDead_Lift
    DawnOfTheDead_Lift Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I got rid of the concept of a cheat meal. The only non negotiable factor is that if I eat it, no matter how much I may not want to know, I log it honestly.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Not really. I don’t have any off-limit foods. I just count calories. Sometimes I’ll plan for a higher calorie day but it’s not really a cheat, I just do a couple lower-calorie days before or after a day I’m planning to go over my norm.
  • ShayCarver89
    ShayCarver89 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I used to but I don't anymore. I would find that I would wake up a pound or 2 heavier and it would take me days to get rid of it and having a cheat meal just isn't worth the set back. I will save the cheat meals for maintenance.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,429 Member
    Options
    I generally eat low-carb, with 100+ gram protein daily and rounded out with fat, as it makes me feel full and helps my compliance. But I am also flexible; I want glorious hand-cut fries? I share a good sized order with my daughter alongside my bunless burger. I want pizza? Thin crust is the choice (my preference anyway) and I just moderate how much of it I eat. I want beer? I look at my day/week and decide if it's worth it. Date night? I can have a drink or two if I want. I want that 90 calorie pack of Swiss Miss hot cocoa? I think I will!

My point is, it's not cheatin', it's just eatin'! Something you do (hopefully) daily.

I ate close to maintenance for two days over Thanksgiving, with more carbs than normal for me. Had a temporary blip on the scale and am now back to my losing ways.
  • Blythmag
    Blythmag Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Food restriction is not necessary. Have what you enjoy within your daily or weekly goals.

There is nothing wrong with a hamburger or fries or pizza.

Ermm this.eat whatever you like in the calorie target ,;its not cheating
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    No, I have what I want but make sure it fits my calories. "Cheat" days can undo a week's worth of work.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    A try to plan ahead and prepare my daily meal plan accordingly. Yesterday evening we went to our favourite pizza place - and enjoyed the best pizza in town. That was about 1.000 calories - my allocation for the day (MFP) is 1.740 calories, by the end of the day I ended up just on 2.000 calories in total. Still feel full this morning, so a light breakfast will do. But that pizza was worth it!