Hi, anyone drinking protein for breakfast? And is my first time here

Options
Hi, I am trying to see how to cut my cravings from carbs( bread) in the morning.
So anyone having protein shake , with banana and almond milk.
Also anyone craving carbs?
Hope to lose 50 pounds as my first goal.
Was 120 now 186..

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am trying to see how to cut my cravings from carbs( bread) in the morning.
    Was 120 now 186..

bananas are pretty high in carbs and almond milk has some. why are you trying to cut carbs? for people trying to to cut their carb cravings they either cut the food out or they go low carb,higher fat. protein may not help with the carb cravings.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Was 120 now 186..

No, drinking my calories wouldn't keep me full.
  • _aenyeweddien_
    _aenyeweddien_ Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    My favourite breakfast is 2 scrambled eggs with a little bit of ketchup and feta cheese in a Weight Watchers tortilla wrap (118 kcal, 23g carbs, 3.5g protein per wrap, it's good in compare to other ones that's why I buy WW ones) ...yummy, filling, high in protein and easy to prepare.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    The most important thing for weight loss is to be in a calorie deficit. What you eat is not as important, so if you like carbs there is no reason to cut them out of your diet. Just make them fit your calorie allowance.

Everyone has to find their own way of eating so experiment with what makes you feel full. There is nothing magical about cutting carbs.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    In the summer I occasionally have smoothies (I crave them more in hot weather), which I find filling (as you can see not everyone agrees). Mine have protein powder, yogurt or homemade nut milk, and then several servings of veg (spinach or kale, maybe avocado, maybe roasted winter squash, cucumber or zucchini (raw), fennel -- it just depends), and then some berries. Sometimes I use melon too when it's in season.

I love them, but they are certainly about the highest carb thing I eat for breakfast ever (I don't have carb cravings, however).

My more common breakfast, just from personal preference, is pretty low carb -- 2 egg omelet with a bunch of vegetables. Sometimes I have smoked salmon or cottage cheese or plain greek yogurt on the side, sometimes fruit, sometimes avocado (which is fruit, but higher fat/lower carb than most). Or sometimes nothing on the side.

Also, for me, very filling.

The trick is to figure out what is satisfying for you.

Just a protein shake, with nothing else, would not be for me, and it's only about 100 or so calories, no? If you are planning to eat again soon or don't like eating much in the morning I suppose it could work.

I also used to like yogurt (greek) or oats with protein powder mixed in, and then some fruit. Again, definitely not low carb, but it would have a decent amount of protein, and eating it can be more filling to some than just drinking it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Was 120 now 186..

There's nothing wrong with carbs...also, banana is carbs...

I eat oats with almonds and blue berries most mornings.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Sunna_W wrote: »
    I used to drink protein shakes but it really messed up my bowel biome (I caught both norovirus and the flu and required a lot of medical support to undo the damage I did to myself, which the doctor said had to do with the protein shakes "under-supporting" thus killing off the good bacteria). To get everything working right again I am on a ton of probiotics and specific carbs to feed the good bacteria and keep it strong.

My doctor had me to switch from protein shakes to two HB eggs and 100 g of cold boiled potato with skin (resistant starch and great for the bowel). 236 calories total.

Note, I make them in advance and just pull them out of the fridge and peel the eggs the night before. I salt the potatoes after they are cool before storing. They last up to three weeks before they ferment. These are very portable, I have eaten them while traveling, no problem.

I was also having a blended shake (mostly low carb veggies for lunch) and the doctor had me switch to 8 oz. mixed chopped veggies (that includes jicama, also resistant starch) with 3 oz. lean turkey for lunch (with raw sea salt, raw apple cider vinegar and various spice blends to make it less boring). 170 calories total.

I am allowed a high protein snack (like peanut butter or a meat stick) mid-afternoon (about 150 calories) and a reasonable low carb, high veggie with protein dinner.

In addition to trying to maintain 1400 calories every day, I also try to stay within about 100 to 150 g of carbs every day and about 25 to 50 g of naturally occurring sugar (in foods). So, for example, I look for foods low on the glycemic index (bananas no; blueberries yes) and combine them with other low calories foods or proteins. I also don't eat a lot of pasta, rice, or bread. I eat a half a serving or I have beans or sweet potatoes.

I lost weigth / maintain my weight and generally I am not super ravenous between meals.

I really dont think the protein shakes messed up your bowel biome(or many people would have issues from consuming them). it was most likely the flu and the norovirus or something entirely else. how did your dr come to the conclusion that he or she did about your bowels? and what kind of dr told you this? are you on probiotics and a diet per this dr? or on your own? most drs get very little nutritional study hrs.
  • CindyJNC1963
    CindyJNC1963 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I tried drinking a protein shake for breakfast but I would get hungry about an hour later. I switched to a Pure Protein bar (200 calories, 20g protein and 16g carbs).

If you enter all of your fruits (be sure and weigh them) into MFP you will see just how many carbs they have too. I am trying to stay below 90g per day.....and most of that does come from fruit.
  • GDowning2Fit
    GDowning2Fit Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I had a spinach, 1/2 banana, flax seeds and almond milk smoothie for breakfast. Yes, bananas have carbs which is why I only used half. I'm doing the low carb / keto thingy as carbs really affect my blood sugar and makes me fat! Period! I do not cut out all carbs (which is impossible), but I try to watch my intake and increase my fiber. Try cutting out the bad carbs ( white bread, pasta, flour, etc.). You can still have carbs, just in moderation!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    carbs do not make you fat due to affecting blood sugar(too many calories do). sure they can affect blood sugar but so can fat and protein if you have insulin issues. carbs dont need to be cut down for weight loss calories do. If a person has an insulin issue or a problem with carbs then sure cut them down. but for a person without those issues weight still can be lost eating a good bit of carbs. I eat over 200g a day and was losing. I still eat that much but eat more calories to maintain my weight.
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    This is my usual breakfast shake, although I change up the frozen fruit quite a bit. Lots of protein and carbs.

srd55mjsvp1a.png
  • FitAndLean_5738
    FitAndLean_5738 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Bananas (and virtually all fruits) are fairly high in carbs. Most would recommend replacing carbs with fat. Since there are two energy sources (carbs and fat) you'd do best to pick one to be your primary source of energy (intake wise). If you're going to cut out carbs, then replace it with fat so you have some energy.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    Most would recommend replacing carbs with fat.

I don't believe this is true. I think most would recommend eating carbs and fat (and protein, of course). If someone likes fruit with their breakfast, that's hardly nutritionally problematic or indicative of a bad diet.

Personally, I like to have a lower carb breakfast (just because I like eggs), but eat lots of veg with my eggs (carbs!) and sometimes have a more carby side like greek yogurt or fruit.

I usually have fat and carbs with dinner -- I almost always have some kind of starchy carb.
    Since there are two energy sources (carbs and fat) you'd do best to pick one to be your primary source of energy (intake wise). If you're going to cut out carbs, then replace it with fat so you have some energy.

Why on earth should you pick one or the other as a primary? I lost most of my weight eating about 40% carbs, 30% fat, so similar amounts. Many people do fine not even worry about fat or carb percentages (eating a sufficient amount of protein is a good idea, and I'm a fan of fiber and eating an overall healthy diet, of course).
  • hippysprout
    hippysprout Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Was 120 now 186..

Just a point of clarification, are you saying that you're trying to find a way to not crave carbs in the morning or that you are getting food cravings and you feel they are triggered by the carbs you eat in the morning?

Obviously, the macro content of your breakfast will not affect your rate of loss as long as you're in a calorie deficit, but if you overeat because of cravings that are triggered by excessive carbs, then a hard look at your macro content may be in order.

Everyone is different, and although I don't suffer from it myself, I know a lot of people who have to restrict carbs because they trigger vicious cravings that are nearly impossible to resist. You don't have to drink your protein though. I recommend it in the form of eggs (scrambled, cheesy, over medium, however you like em), bacon, sausage links, cottage cheese, ham and cheddar in an omelette, the choices are endless and delicious.
  • OHFlamingo
    OHFlamingo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I drink one everyday for lunch; I suppose I could drink it for breakfast instead, but I really like my cereal or eggs in the morning! My favorite right now is to make one with canned pumpkin, a frozen banana ( I peel them and wrap each one in cling wrap and put them in a freezer bag in the freezer), a scoop of vanilla protein powder, a cup of almond milk, and pumpkin pie spices. Tastes like a liquid pumpkin pie! And I'm not hungry for a snack all afternoon. Good luck to all trying to find just the right combinations of foods to keep us full, happy, and losing weight!
  • FitAndLean_5738
    FitAndLean_5738 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

I don't believe this is true. I think most would recommend eating carbs and fat (and protein, of course). If someone likes fruit with their breakfast, that's hardly nutritionally problematic or indicative of a bad diet.

Personally, I like to have a lower carb breakfast (just because I like eggs), but eat lots of veg with my eggs (carbs!) and sometimes have a more carby side like greek yogurt or fruit.

I usually have fat and carbs with dinner -- I almost always have some kind of starchy carb.
    Since there are two energy sources (carbs and fat) you'd do best to pick one to be your primary source of energy (intake wise). If you're going to cut out carbs, then replace it with fat so you have some energy.

Why on earth should you pick one or the other as a primary? I lost most of my weight eating about 40% carbs, 30% fat, so similar amounts. Many people do fine not even worry about fat or carb percentages (eating a sufficient amount of protein is a good idea, and I'm a fan of fiber and eating an overall healthy diet, of course).

OP is trying to cut out carbs, that's why I suggested they replace it with fat so they still can get energy (yes you can turn protein into carbs but it's easier for your body to just use fats instead). I personally eat both (as in I eat carbs, fat, and protein) as balanced as possible, but that's not what OP wants to do. OP wants to cut out carbs.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

OP is trying to cut out carbs, that's why I suggested they replace it with fat so they still can get energy (yes you can turn protein into carbs but it's easier for your body to just use fats instead). I personally eat both (as in I eat carbs, fat, and protein) as balanced as possible, but that's not what OP wants to do. OP wants to cut out carbs.

Is that from another thread?

Here she said "Hi, I am trying to see how to cut my cravings from carbs( bread) in the morning."

I thought she meant either that she was getting carb cravings from consuming bread in the morning, so was looking for a breakfast alternative not including bread. Many people seem to think of carbs as meaning mostly starchy carbs (with or without fat) and sweets including flour, not sure why but it's something I've noticed. Anyway, I find bread in the morning generally unfilling and if I just ate bread I'd probably crave fast energy (i.e., refined carbs) again soon. Others vary, but I thought it made some sense if that was what OP was saying.

I don't see her saying she is trying to "cut out" carbs.

I would agree it's unhealthy to eat mostly just protein, as fat is essential (and I find the nutrients from many carbs to be important too), but I didn't think there was much risk of that with OP.