At what point did people STOP being supportive?

Replies

• shawna5587
    shawna5587 Posts: 6 Member
    PartyKardy wrote: »
    8z7wisu071xz.jpeg
    3rhhfn5ypwtw.jpeg
    wredrm8es5fc.jpeg
    c17pmnswc38m.jpeg
    xvjdomewejk3.jpeg

So I’ve lost a lot of weight. Nearly 100lbs and still losing a little more so I can hit my ultimate goal weight.

At first when I was losing 20-40 lbs and was still chunky people were so kind and supportive to me on my journey.

When I reached 60-80 I started getting the “isnt that enough?” “When are you going to stop?” “You’re going to get too thin.”

Now that I’m coming up upon 100lbs gone and have recently posted about a milestone of fitting into a size 0 it’s like a bomb went off. Family, friends, those random people from Facebook I hadn’t spoken to since high school suddenly telling me I’m “skin and bones” and asking if I have an eating disorder (which I did have when I was BIG not since I’ve lost weight!)

I’d say it’s pretty clear I don’t have a “too thin” appearance. I lift heavy weights and my weight isn’t really all that low. I am also very short and have always had small hips so size 0 pants isn’t that crazy I think.

Just wondering if any of you have had the same experience? Once you stop being the fat friend or chubby relative people don’t want to accept it.

Don’t think for a second I plan on stopping though! I plan to gain more muscle, strength and get lean. Always healthily!
    PartyKardy wrote: »
    8z7wisu071xz.jpeg
    3rhhfn5ypwtw.jpeg
    wredrm8es5fc.jpeg
    c17pmnswc38m.jpeg
    xvjdomewejk3.jpeg

So I’ve lost a lot of weight. Nearly 100lbs and still losing a little more so I can hit my ultimate goal weight.

At first when I was losing 20-40 lbs and was still chunky people were so kind and supportive to me on my journey.

When I reached 60-80 I started getting the “isnt that enough?” “When are you going to stop?” “You’re going to get too thin.”

Now that I’m coming up upon 100lbs gone and have recently posted about a milestone of fitting into a size 0 it’s like a bomb went off. Family, friends, those random people from Facebook I hadn’t spoken to since high school suddenly telling me I’m “skin and bones” and asking if I have an eating disorder (which I did have when I was BIG not since I’ve lost weight!)

I’d say it’s pretty clear I don’t have a “too thin” appearance. I lift heavy weights and my weight isn’t really all that low. I am also very short and have always had small hips so size 0 pants isn’t that crazy I think.

Just wondering if any of you have had the same experience? Once you stop being the fat friend or chubby relative people don’t want to accept it.

Don’t think for a second I plan on stopping though! I plan to gain more muscle, strength and get lean. Always healthily!

• PartyKardy
    PartyKardy Posts: 172 Member
    deisebayer wrote: »
    I'll tell you when I get there. Haha. But yeah, people can be very cruel, going from "you should lose weight" to "you're too thin". It's impossible to please some people and that's actually sad.
    BTW you are not "too thin", you are very beautiful!

Yes people are impossible to please!

Also thanks so much for your kind words! I know I’m not too thin I’m just very very short. Size 0 sounds extreme but if you saw me in person you’d think I was pretty normal looking haha
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    pcreaton wrote: »
    I think you look great, especially with the muscle definition. You’re gorgeous either way though. I wonder if people make these comments only because your weight is so drastically different that you look like a skin and bones version of your old self to them. They’re not seeing the healthy new you. Just speculation.

^This. You look fantastic. I wish I had the muscle definition that you have. You didn't get that way without a lot of hard work. Nobody else wants to be reminded of that either... You worked hard and got results. I don't want to work that hard! But I want the results. (See where that goes?) Keep it up! They'll get used to the new you. You're just completely different than they are used to. Great job! :heart:
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    You short girls get it super easy in the clothes department too...you can wear short skirts around the office and no one even notices...even kids clothes look cute and professional on you...sometimes you can find those awesome velcro dress shoes in your size, I know they are for kids, but it's so much more convenient than real buckles...just about everything in my size was clearly made for someone 6-9 inches shorter than me...even in patterns I have to add length to everything, hems, bodice, all of it needs to be taller, it's a good think I can sew...I'm totally jealous short girls...except when I'm getting that box of cereal off the top of the cabinets without need a chair or a stool...then I'm not feeling the jealousy!!!

:wink:

I have a little stool collection. One for each room, lol.

But for OP, if you're checking your weight against BMI recommendations and you fall within the normal range, the naysayers can buzz off.
  • wanderingarcher
    wanderingarcher Posts: 694 Member
    I think it’s crazy how after about 70 lbs lost, people started to talk like I’m starving myself. I’m still losing and hit the size zero mark recently too. I know I need to tone more and shed a little more fat, and it’s not unhealthy—quite the opposite. People telling me I need to eat. Is that a first-world mindset? Grr

Maybe they’re worried that I’m still obsessing over food, but in reverse?
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    I found in the last month or so I started getting those questions from family and friends. "you are done right? you are already too skinny". which is technically no true as i am still sorta just coming into the BMI range for my height (on the top end). I think people get used to you being overweight so when you are at a healthy weight it seems like you are "too skinny". though some people may go too far on the weight loss as well. Anyway I just politely smile and nod and say i'm pretty much done.
    This is why I put all my weight loss related posts on here and not facebook!

I don't post really on the weight loss topic either. something may slip in here and there but i really try not to and do succeed most of the time.

• PartyKardy
    I think it’s crazy how after about 70 lbs lost, people started to talk like I’m starving myself. I’m still losing and hit the size zero mark recently too. I know I need to tone more and shed a little more fat, and it’s not unhealthy—quite the opposite. People telling me I need to eat. Is that a first-world mindset? Grr

Maybe they’re worried that I’m still obsessing over food, but in reverse?

Because I’m vegan my family already assumed I was too obsessed with food before I even started to lose weight haha.

My weight only recently went into the normal BMI as well but since I do bodybuilding (kind of) I know BMI will score me a bit higher probably and since I’m short BMI wants me pretty lightweight haha

• Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    You look great, you don't look too skinny. Look at that muscle!!
  • PartyKardy
    Fflpnari wrote: »
    You look great, you don't look too skinny. Look at that muscle!!

Thank you! My goals definitely were to look strong not skinny! I’m so excited to build more muscle and start getting comments that now I’m too big haha
  • PartyKardy
    Wow. I’m in the same boat as you all. I can’t talk about my “get fit” journey to family and/or friends without negativity. Even my mom is telling me I’m too skinny and why am I doing it. Here’s my 2 cents:

For those of us who decided to get healthy and take control back of our bodies, it sends a message to others that “they aren’t”. And they don’t like that feeling, so they put us down. I think it’s just their insecurity coming out about themselves.

I remind myself that I am doing this and I’ve sacrificed, suffered and am getting it done through hard work and discipline. To hell with the neysayers! Get healthy my friend, feel good about yourself and enjoy the fruits of your labor. You look great! Keep it up!

I think that is a huge portion of it. People realizing they could do more but don’t and I’m a reminder to them of that.
    I post about my weight loss and stuff though so show people IT CAN BE DONE!

I want people to feel inspired and motivated so I suppose I have to accept the negativity that comes with that 🤷‍♀️