I had a Cheat Day today but I went overboard, how do I fix this?

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    zupyoo wrote: »
    Why do you feel the need for cheat meals. Are you restricting a food that you enjoy or a macro? Or is it just a higher calorie day?

It's supposed to be a cheat MEAL not a day but yes it's a day I can eat stuff I normally can't eat like you know soda, candy etc. if I eat those things in my regular week I find it hard to hit enough protein etc. without going over my calorie goal. I have lost 19 LBS with this method so it's working for me, but today was just crazy overboard so I felt guilty.

Don't feel guilty. You didn't kill anyone or rob anyone.

How does today's total compare to your "normal" cheat meal days? That's what you should compare it to.

That's only about 2,300 calories more than what you usually eat. If you're losing a pound a week on 1,900, that means your TDEE is 2,400. So you don't really have anything to "fix," you only ate 1,860 "extra" calories. That's not even a pound.

Obviously, you probably don't want to make it a habit to eat 4,260 calories. But nothing is ruined. Just get back on plan. There may be benefit in thinking about the situation and what happened to make you eat more than you wanted to eat, it may help you to plan how to avoid it in the future (I've found this to be very helpful). If there is anything to "fix," it's your understanding of yourself and how you can avoid doing things that you don't want to do.

I agree with all that, except that his TDEE is probably more than 2,400. He was losing with a regular weekly "cheat," which likely means going above that 1900 calories one day a week, every week. Plus, OP is
    a Male, 6.3, 209lbs

so I'm thinking the only way his TDEE is only 2400 cals is if he spends all day in bed with a feeding tube and appropriate tubing at the other end of the digestive tract.
  • Live_life_well
    Live_life_well Posts: 86 Member
    edited November 2018
    Please delete
  • zupyoo
    zupyoo Posts: 24 Member
    Why do you feel the need for cheat meals. Are you restricting a food that you enjoy or a macro? Or is it just a higher calorie day?

It's supposed to be a cheat MEAL not a day but yes it's a day I can eat stuff I normally can't eat like you know soda, candy etc. if I eat those things in my regular week I find it hard to hit enough protein etc. without going over my calorie goal. I have lost 19 LBS with this method so it's working for me, but today was just crazy overboard so I felt guilty.

Don't feel guilty. You didn't kill anyone or rob anyone.

How does today's total compare to your "normal" cheat meal days? That's what you should compare it to.

That's only about 2,300 calories more than what you usually eat. If you're losing a pound a week on 1,900, that means your TDEE is 2,400. So you don't really have anything to "fix," you only ate 1,860 "extra" calories. That's not even a pound.

Obviously, you probably don't want to make it a habit to eat 4,260 calories. But nothing is ruined. Just get back on plan. There may be benefit in thinking about the situation and what happened to make you eat more than you wanted to eat, it may help you to plan how to avoid it in the future (I've found this to be very helpful). If there is anything to "fix," it's your understanding of yourself and how you can avoid doing things that you don't want to do.

I agree with all that, except that his TDEE is probably more than 2,400. He was losing with a regular weekly "cheat," which likely means going above that 1900 calories one day a week, every week. Plus, OP is
    a Male, 6.3, 209lbs

so I'm thinking the only way his TDEE is only 2400 cals is if he spends all day in bed with a feeding tube and appropriate tubing at the other end of the digestive tract.

Normally I allow myself one cheat meal every week and probably hit around 3,000 calories that day, thats why I felt bad about yesterday. But i'm already back on today and feel much better, i'm eating good today and also hitting the gym. lets go!
  • zupyoo
    apullum wrote: »

You may find that it's easier to avoid going overboard if those foods aren't off limits in your normal routine. Try individually wrapped candies or mini cans of soda. These things are about 50-100 calories each, and budgeting that number of calories each day or every few days is probably better for long term consistency than eating large amounts of "forbidden" food and exceeding your calorie goal.

Perhaps you are right, I guess I just feel it wouldn't be satisfying to have such a small amount but maybe im wrong there.
  • zupyoo

if you're over eating to the point of feeling guilty, then it obviously isn't working.

I should have said normally it's working, I usually never feel guilty after my normal weekly cheat meal because I feel I deserved it but yesterday was not how I normally do it, I lost controll. That being said, I felt terrible yesterday and i'm super happy to be back to eating clean for this next week.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member

if you're over eating to the point of feeling guilty, then it obviously isn't working.

I should have said normally it's working, I usually never feel guilty after my normal weekly cheat meal because I feel I deserved it but yesterday was not how I normally do it, I lost controll. That being said, I felt terrible yesterday and i'm super happy to be back to eating clean for this next week.

What we are trying to suggest is that you are looking at it as a one time error. Perhhaps it is.

If it happens again you need to consider that your method is not working effectively enough. 2 steps forward and one step back could be done differently to be just 2 steps forward.
  • zupyoo

What we are trying to suggest is that you are looking at it as a one time error. Perhhaps it is.

If it happens again you need to consider that your method is not working effectively enough. 2 steps forward and one step back could be done differently to be just 2 steps forward.

I get your point, thanks for that, perhaps you are right.. this is something I need to consider.
  • ShayCarver89
    ShayCarver89 Posts: 239 Member
    You just have to move on. For a lot, if not most people, this could be the beginning of a downward spiral. DONT punish yourself for it. It happens. Take the loss and keep moving!
  • EMCm0smfc
    EMCm0smfc Posts: 3 Member
    Don't worry about one day. You didn't destroy the weight loss journey or even wreck the week. It was one day. And since you're not quite sure how the day got away from you, you've learned that you need to be more mindful, especially when you allow yourself to indulge.
  • Caralarma
    Caralarma Posts: 174 Member
    kami3006 wrote: »
    Don't do anything. Just go back on plan tomorrow. It was maybe 1500 calories over your maintenance, which equals maybe a third of pound of fat gain.

^ Yep. Log it and move on. You may see a bump on the scale due to water weight but it'll even out after a few days.

You might want to consider what made you end up eating so much. Unless, that is, it was a special occasion and you just enjoyed yourself.

It was stupid, my thought process was like this "Well its cheat day today I need to take advantage of this day since its one week until next time" one thing led to another and I went overboard. I usually only do a "Cheat meal" not a day so definetly gonna fix that for next week.

This is where you need to change your mindset. Rather eat what you want on other 'normal'days but try stay within calorie limit. If you go over by a little bit its not serious but it's better than having one day where you go all out 😀 this will create a healthier attitude towards food and you wont need to have chest days.
    Also I agree with the others.. let it go 😁
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited November 2018
    Just get back into your normal routine. You said you have one “cheat” day per week, so consider this a one time occurrence, and that you ate more calories than your usual cheat day. It’s really not a question of, fixing it, just continuing on with your plan. The key is to not let it spiral into a habit.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    You can't really "fix" it. Just return to your normal deficit.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    coderdan82 wrote: »
    As a side note: one of the things I've learned during my weight loss journey is to really savour my food, especially the treats. For example, I still eat chocolate, every day in fact, but I'll take one small square, crunch it a few times and let it sit in my mouth for a while and enjoy the taste. Then I swallow a little bit, crunch some more and let it sit again. I can savour that one piece for about as long as it takes to eat a whole chocolate bar and it's just as satisfying. Since I've started doing that I found that I have very little need for cheat-anything.

Yes, I eat chocolate everyday, but usually only 70 calories worth, and super slow like you do,
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    kami3006 wrote: »
    Don't do anything. Just go back on plan tomorrow. It was maybe 1500 calories over your maintenance, which equals maybe a third of pound of fat gain.

^ Yep. Log it and move on. You may see a bump on the scale due to water weight but it'll even out after a few days.

You might want to consider what made you end up eating so much. Unless, that is, it was a special occasion and you just enjoyed yourself.

It was stupid, my thought process was like this "Well its cheat day today I need to take advantage of this day since its one week until next time" one thing led to another and I went overboard. I usually only do a "Cheat meal" not a day so definetly gonna fix that for next week.

I totally get that thought process. And that is why I have neither cheat meals nor days :lol:

But if cheat meals are working for you, carry on.
  • melissafeagins
    melissafeagins Posts: 1,421 Member
    edited November 2018
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Why does it look like she's sneezing in that gif? :huh:

OP, nothing to do. @quiksylver296 is right. Maybe reflect on what led to you getting carried away so you can handle it better next time or learn how not to set yourself up for such a big (unintended) overage.

She let it go?!? :laugh:

That movie is The Shining for children. However, that song is good advice.

Log it. Get back on plan. Try not to make a habit of it.
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    You can't go back only move forward. Get over it and look forward to tomorrow.
  • kevinsperkins
    kevinsperkins Posts: 1 Member
    If you study the stock market, any pro will tell you to look at the overarching trend(s), not each blip. You experienced a blip. Move on. Focus on the (downward) trend. In all honesty, your graph over the long haul... SHOULD zigzag a little! It means you're living your life! Whenever you overdo it though, just do a "minimal" day(s) (whatever that is in your program)... immediately following. For me, it's fasting, drinking LOTS of water, and eating lean proteins and no carbs. A "protein day", as it were. Throw in some Vitamin B's and take some walks, and you'll bounce back pretty quickly. B)