Daily Exercise

Options
Is this list okay for a beginner? I have been exercising for almost 7 weeks now and lost 11 pounds! Yay! I started off with walking. I want to keep my body guessing though. Please give advice and opinion. I would greatly appreciate it!12kct1fkjncc.png

Replies

• spiritdimund89
    spiritdimund89 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Keep my body guessing as in start new exercises to help it burn more fat and calories. My body reached a plateau a couple weeks ago. I added a 10 minute workout and started incorporating jogging during my walks. That helped. Aside from that I just want to know if the exercises I have liated above are going to be too much to do daily. I am new to this, so I don't know squat. My goal is to lose 28 pounds.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    You might like to follow a program like Strong Curves.You can learn a lot of variety exercises and programming on this program. Flip through the book at your local bookstore.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Don't do crunches, they're bad for your back.

You'd be very well served to look at a strength training program, people have set them up to build muscle in a balanced way. Convict conditioning if you don't have access to a gym.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Keep my body guessing as in start new exercises to help it burn more fat and calories.

That's not really how burning calories works. There's nothing wrong with doing new things, but it doesn't equate to burning any more or fewer calories because of the activities being new to you.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    Keep my body guessing as in start new exercises to help it burn more fat and calories. My body reached a plateau a couple weeks ago. I added a 10 minute workout and started incorporating jogging during my walks. That helped. Aside from that I just want to know if the exercises I have liated above are going to be too much to do daily. I am new to this, so I don't know squat. My goal is to lose 28 pounds.

Exercise is good for you, but you don't need to keep your body guessing. Adding exercise burns more calories, that's all.

Your body doesn't get used to some level of exercise, and burn fewer calories doing it (at the same body weight, intensity, duration, etc.). A fit 150 pound person burns about the same number of calories running a mile at X miles per hour as does an unfit 150 pound person. It just feels harder to the unfit person, and they look like they're struggling, so people think the unfit person burns more calories. In reality, the difference is trivial.

Another thing that makes people believe otherwise is the fact that some heart rate monitors will estimate calories differently for those two people (because the fit person's heart doesn't need to beat as frequently to deliver the same amount of oxygen to burn the same amount of fuel). HRMs only estimate calories, and sometimes they estimate inaccurately.

One thing that really does happen is that as you lose weight, you burn fewer calories moving your smaller body as you do things, in exercise or daily life. So, as you get lighter, you may need to exercise more or eat less in order to keep losing weight at the same rate.

IMO, how you tell whether exercise is too much is based on:

1. Whether the time it takes in your day allows you to keep good life balance, i.e., still pay enough attention to your family, job, chores, non-exercise hobbies, etc. If you can't maintain good overall life balance, even by making suitable adjustments in other required things, it's probably too much.

2. Whether it leaves you feeling energetic for the rest of your daily life (after maybe a few minutes of a "whew" feeling right after the exercise session). If your exercise makes you feel fatigued or exhausted, so that you drag through the rest of your daily life, you can actually end up burning fewer overall calories througout the day: Resting more and doing less in daily life offsets some of the calorie burn from exercise. This part changes over time, i.e., as you get fitter, you can add more time or more intensity and still feel energetic afterward.

Personally, I also feel like the exercise should be fun, since if something's fun we'll do it regularly, but if it's boring or annoying in some way, we'll put it off and avoid it at any opportunity. A less effective exercise we actually do burns more calories than an ideal exercise we don't like so don't do.

The US government (and some other experts) suggest we need a minimum of 150 minutes weekly of moderate exercise per week, or an equivalent (less total time) of vigorous exercise per week, including 2 days of strength training. That can be a good goal to work toward.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't "guess". Your muscles and central nervous system know how to react to a stress imposed upon them, regardless of what exercise you're doing. You burn more calories by doing more vigorous exercise which places greater demands upon the body, or by doing the exercise longer. Changing exercises up to "shock" the body or "keep it guessing" is a myth, and does nothing to increase weight/fat loss. The "Muscle Confusion Principle" went out of vogue some time in the '70s.

The exercises you listed above aren't overly strenuous and should be fine. With the exception of the 60 minute walk/jog, none of them are going to burn a significant number of calories or impose significant demands upon the body.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    We would not know if this is too much for you because we don't know your fitness level and skills. Everyone defines beginner differently. I would think 100 crunches is a lot for a "beginner" but maybe not for you. I also dont' know what a "booty shaking workout" means! Consistency of whatever you do is the most important thing.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Don't do crunches, they're bad for your back.

You'd be very well served to look at a strength training program, people have set them up to build muscle in a balanced way. Convict conditioning if you don't have access to a gym.

I have this in my log as a “go-to” for alternatives to sit-ups:
    Substitute Crunch: Plank, AbWheel, LegRaise, FarmersWalk, TurkishGetUp
  • FitAndLean_5738
    FitAndLean_5738 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Seems like a solid plan. I understand what you mean by keeping your body guessing, I'm not sure why others seem to be so hung up over the idea. Anyways, your plan looks good. Not terribly intense, considering you've been regularly active for 2 months, which is a good thing since you plan on doing this everyday.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Seems like a solid plan. I understand what you mean by keeping your body guessing, I'm not sure why others seem to be so hung up over the idea. Anyways, your plan looks good. Not terribly intense, considering you've been regularly active for 2 months, which is a good thing since you plan on doing this everyday.

Because it's a myth that you need to keep it guessing to progress. Your body will improve but that does not mean that the workout is not effective and that you'll stop seeing results.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »

Because it's a myth that you need to keep it guessing to progress. Your body will improve but that does not mean that the workout is not effective and that you'll stop seeing results.

Exactly. If you think it's fun to switch things up, that's fine.

But there's no need to do it for progress in fitness: That's a myth promoted by marketers that want to keep selling you new equipment and videos. I'm hung up over it because it's a cheesy misleading sales promotion lie that they impose on people who don't know differently.

Do you think national team (Olympic) athletes "keep their bodies guessing" in order to keep making progress? They don't. They follow a well-designed progressive plan that varies through the year depending on competition demands and priorities, spending a big bundle of their time on some version of their sport. Of course their
    plan includes some cross training for well-roundedness and injury prevention, and ample rest, but no "switch it up to keep your body guessing".
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    As your fitness level improves your workouts become less challenging to your body. You just need to up the intensity as you get fitter.

It is good to do a variety of different things to work your whole body though.

I think you are doing fine.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Is this list okay for a beginner? I have been exercising for almost 7 weeks now and lost 11 pounds! Yay! I started off with walking. I want to keep my body guessing though. Please give advice and opinion. I would greatly appreciate it!

Keep your body guessing is absolute nonsense peddled by people who have a financial interest in making simple things complicated.

Calorie burning is down to physics not ridiculous concepts like "guessing" - your body doesn't guess, it uses energy to move mass over distance - that's physics not marketing.
    I've done over 300 hours of cycling this year, it still takes energy (calories) to power my rides.

Pick an exercise routine suited to your fitness goals and follow it. No guesswork required. No idea what you are trying to achieve with what seems a very random selection of exercises. Yes it's good you are moving but I think you could do better.