Coffee too much think of increases appetite?

Today I had little sleep and four to five large coffees - caffeinated. This afternoon I felt oddly manic and although having had lunch I had an insatiable appetite.

Anyone else associated coffee with appetite increase ?

Replies

• Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Typically coffee suppresses appetite. I would not equate your increased appetite to that. Your TOM can play a significant role in having an increased appetite though.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    opposite for me
  • thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    Caffeine usually is an appetite suppressant, but you may have associated coffee with food in your mind so the action of drinking coffee makes you anticipate food. Or it could be TOM, or something else.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,145 Member
    I'm always starving when I don't sleep well. I suppose the energy has to come from somewhere and if I'm not rested, then my body looks to other energy sources. I also usually crave carbs more than usual when I'm feeling that way. I consume quite a bit of caffeine most days and have never noticed that it has much of an effect on my appetite.
  • 🤔 I have felt exhausted all day! Now I’ve just got to make up for all the damage. Starting my with a good night's sleep.

I do have a friend who would openly admit she overeats and she drinks coffee all day long.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Today I had little sleep and four to five large coffees - caffeinated. This afternoon I felt oddly manic and although having had lunch I had an insatiable appetite.

not getting enough sleep is what makes me overly hungry
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member

not getting enough sleep is what makes me overly hungry

Same.
  • shelbygeorge29
    shelbygeorge29 Posts: 263 Member
    Lack of sleep causes hunger. A mid afternoon coffee kills my appetite and gives me a little boost. Try and get some sleep!!
  • PartyKardy
    PartyKardy Posts: 172 Member
    I have the opposite reaction but I also intermittently fast and that’s changed my hunger cues completely
  • Ooo party karts tell me more!
  • PartyKardy
    PartyKardy Posts: 172 Member
    Ooo party karts tell me more!

Autocorrect on my name? Haha

Basically I fasted 16:8 style which is the most popular style I think. It’s sort of trained my body to not feel hungry in the morning anymore as I’ve adjusted to it. I don’t start feeling any hunger until around 1-2pm!

I’ve also found that food actually makes me full because I eat bigger portions in one setting where as before eating smaller meals all day made it to when I was never satisfied!

I still eat the same amount of calories. I didn’t use it to calorie restrict though I know some people use it to reduce calories
  • _aenyeweddien_
    _aenyeweddien_ Posts: 102 Member
    edited November 2018
    Coffee makes me less hungry. Lack of sleep on the other hand, makes me feel starving no matter how much I eat ( and craving for all sorts of sweet and fatty unhealthy foods)
  • Well folks I think it was lack of sleep as better today but I think the excess coffee (to counteract the exhaustion) probably contributed to low blood glucose and carb carvings as I think it made me a bit manic and tired! So adding stress into the mix didn’t help. Better today but now thinking damn got to undo the damage.

Sorry autocorrect partykardy ! Ah that is interesting and thank you for sharing. I am a grazer at times and was reading something by Jason Fung staying that we keep our insulin levels high by eating frequently. I was always concerned it may rev my appetite rather than suppress.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Well folks I think it was lack of sleep as better today but I think the excess coffee (to counteract the exhaustion) probably contributed to low blood glucose and carb carvings as I think it made me a bit manic and tired! So adding stress into the mix didn’t help. Better today but now thinking damn got to undo the damage.

Sorry autocorrect partykardy ! Ah that is interesting and thank you for sharing. I am a grazer at times and was reading something by Jason Fung staying that we keep our insulin levels high by eating frequently. I was always concerned it may rev my appetite rather than suppress.

ignore most if not all of what fung says. hes been debunked on a lot of things. if you dont have an insulin issue then you dont need to worry about how often you eat or dont eat .