Clean eating

Options
Jsnbabb1
Jsnbabb1 Posts: 146 Member
Do you thing the kashi waffles (blueberry) would be considered "clean eating" . what do you eat for breakfast/lunch/dinner/snacks to eat clean?

Replies

• ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I am not sure, it is all in the label, i am willing to bet it is better then eggos though. I usually have kashi oatmeal with berries, kashi go lean crunch with coconut milk and berries or organic greek yogurt with berries.
  • Jsnbabb1
    Jsnbabb1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I am not sure, it is all in the label, i am willing to bet it is better then eggos though. I usually have kashi oatmeal with berries, kashi go lean crunch with coconut milk and berries or organic greek yogurt with berries.

i checked the label to see if it was wheat and it was...eggo was enritched wheat though
  • chastitykelly
    chastitykelly Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    IDK, but they sure do sound delicious! Lol! I'm going to have to look for those next time i go to the store! ^_^
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Clean eating is supposed to be about real food so something like oatmeal, fruit and yoghurt, nuts, seeds, eggs. Doesn't have to be low calorie or low fat...
  • Chastityx
    Chastityx Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    i felt better than ever when I was eating from theYou Are What You Eat Cookbook, but eating and preparing only from fresh food is a lot of work
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    @TammyAllison I'm doing gillian now and it takes all day. preparing, cleaning, eating. All day. I feel amazing. If only I could accomplish something else in the day:-)
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Good food is good food.(period).
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    If the food comes from a box it isn't clean eating. Clean eating is real, whole, natural foods.
  • PenTool
    PenTool Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I would consider it an excellent clean choice. There are 8 gr of protein, 6 gr of fiber, and only 3 gr of fat per each 2 waffle serving. Also, they are made with whole wheat flour and 7 whole grain flour. The nutritional profile is actually very good.

One thing I did notice in checking out the ingredients. For those who use FoodFacts.com, the ingredients list is not only out of order (ingredients should be listed in descending order of weight), they are just not true. Foodfacts.com lists the waffles as containing "wheat flour unbleached", and "wheat flour unenriched". These do not appear on the Kashi label at all.

Best to check the labels either on the package itself, or on the manufacturers website.

As to "clean eating". I don't think Webster's has decided on a final definition ;-) For me personally, I consider clean eating to be:

- elimination of empty calories
    - when choosing breads/cereals, choose whole grains and flours when possible
    - adding lots of fresh veg and lean meats to my diet
    - minimizing foods containing simple sugars
    - eliminating fruit juices and eating the entire fruit instead
    - eliminating processed foods as much as possible. But again, as in these waffles, there are decent choices to be found. Homemade waffles with enriched wheat flour does not compare to the Kashi waffles. Now, if you want to stock up on whole grain flours to make your waffles, be my guest.

Here's the ingredient list for the Kashi Blueberry waffles:

Water, Whole wheat flour, blueberries, Kashi 7 whole grain flour (whole oats, hard red wheat, rye, brown rice, tritcale, barley, buckwheat), oat fiber, cracked grain flour (rye meal, wheat bran, whole wheat flour, barley flakes, steel cut oats, rolled oatmeal, yellow corn meal, millet, rice flour), evaporated cane juice (no high fructose here), egg whites, ground flaxseed, leavening, molasses, sea salt, natural flavors, whey, soy lecithin.