Low calorie diet friends motivation

Options
My name is Jennifer and I’ve just made my account, I’d love some new friends who are eating low calorie to help motivate me. 🙂

Replies

• debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    Define low calorie. What are your goals?
  • jenpettipas
    jenpettipas Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    700-1300 cals a day. And I’m trying to lose weight. 🙂
  • wedspy1
    wedspy1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Will...I've tried the low carbs and or min carbs and it works if you can stick with it...
  • jenpettipas
    Options
    I don’t eat bread, potatoes, or pasta. I used to not eat rice either but eating like that didn’t help me lose weight at all. So I’m slowly introducing the foods back into my diet. Low calorie is the only thing that has helped me lose weight in the past.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I don’t eat bread, potatoes, or pasta. I used to not eat rice either but eating like that didn’t help me lose weight at all. So I’m slowly introducing the foods back into my diet. Low calorie is the only thing that has helped me lose weight in the past.

You can eat a wide variety of foods and lose weight while counting your calories. Sounds like you know that much. That being said, I am concerned with how low you have listed here. I highly doubt that you can get enough nutrition as low as you mention. 1200 is generally the lowest accepted limit for women, because it is so important to make sure you are getting enough essential fats and amino acids (protein), along with vitamins and minerals. Do consider the risks of nutritional deficiency. Some of the consequences can be life-long.
  • jenpettipas
    Options
    I appreciate the concern but I’m trying to lose weight, and 700 calories a couple times a week won’t hurt me at all. I’m petite, not very active and usually eat much higher than that.
  • Elphaba1313
    Elphaba1313 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    700 is much too low if you are also eating at a huge deficit the other days. A VLCD is not endorsed by MFP
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
  • estherdragonbat
    Options
    It's not a question of whether or not you'll lose weight on very low calories. Of course you will. But the health risks of doing so without being under a doctor's supervision are seriously not worth it. There's only so much fat your body will burn in a day. Then, if your deficit is too aggressive, it starts in on muscle. Your heart is a muscle.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10569458/why-eating-too-little-calories-is-a-bad-idea/p1
  • jenpettipas
    Options
    I know all that, and that’s why I’m not starving myself.
  • PreciousGems1
    PreciousGems1 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I try to NEVER eat below 1200 calories per day. In the past, when I would try to not break thru that 1k ceiling, I was miserable: physically and emotionally and mentally! I also think I messed w/ my metabolism as I would be stuck at plateaus eating like that. I am following a pre-diabetes diet. I am eating below 42 g of fat per day and aiming for 1700 calories to lose 1# per week. We missed weigh in last Wed, due to Thanksgiving. This is the first time in years that I have been excited to get weighed! 13+ pounds down in 10 weeks and hubby [who started about 300#] has lost 19.
  • CoffeenSquats
    CoffeenSquats Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 1000 calories:)
  • estherdragonbat
    Options
    How are you measuring your calorie intake? Are you using a scale?

Also, how tall are you?
  • jenpettipas
    Options
    I use a scale, measuring cups, and measuring spoons. And I’m 5’3
  • estherdragonbat
    Options
    So'm I. To lose 1/2lb per week I'm on 1360 before exercise. I maintain around 1600.

Are you using the cups for solids? They can sometimes be pretty inaccurate. Like the database says a cup of grapes is 61 calories. When I weigh out a cup of grapes, it's usually twice that. Where you say you gain at 1500, it's possible that you're eating more than you think.
This discussion has been closed.