Survey: Which connected fitness gear do you use:

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    I have a Garmin Vivoactive 3 (and Garmin chest belt) that replaced a lower-end Polar HRM watch (recently deceased) and chest belt, plus old Garmin Forerunner 205 that I was using for GPS pace/distance data (mainly for rowing). Desire was to get most of the functions I care about (immediate HR monitoring during exercise, GPS pace/distance recording for rowing that I can review post-row; and more casually, speed/distance for biking and walking). I'm so old that I always wear a wristwatch, so I wanted one that was functional for that, too, and not excessively grotesque or cutesy.

I use the chest belt for intentional exercise, because wrist-based HR has a reputation for being wonky during rowing (probably too much crazy arm movement) and purely out of habit for spinning, my other regular exercise.

I don't sync to MFP because, for me, the VA3 all-day calorie burn data is Just Wrong (TDEE/NEAT calculators tend to be wrong for me, too, and by approximately the same proportion; dunno why). I normally use the calorie estimates from on-water rowing and spinning to log exercise on MFP for lack of a better source, though I do pay attention to the rowing machine calorie estimates (after weight adjustment) as a double check. If anything, based on experience, the exercise estimates may be a little lowball for me, but that's OK.

I haven't tried to figure out whether the step counts are accurate (I don't walk all that much, and super rarely for exercise), but they seem proportionally rational, i.e., if the VA3 says I walked twice as many steps as usual, that seems subjectively reasonable IME.

The sleep tracking is laughably inaccurate. I don't think it's just me, or just this device: Overall, trackers have that reputation. The "flights of stairs" estimate is imaginative, too.

Too often, it seems to me that people think of these devices as sources of deep, mysterious, personal technological insight, when they're really just tiny, kinda-complicated bundles of algorhythmic estimation.

Fun and useful, despite the limitations, though.
  • logicalloss
    logicalloss Posts: 14 Member
    Just got my fitbit charge 3 (my blaze died after 2.5 year. So far I love it.
  • reflectionofme
    reflectionofme Posts: 310 Member
    Fitbit charge 3. Loving it and the battery lasts 8 days on one charge.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    The sleep tracking is laughably inaccurate. I don't think it's just me, or just this device: Overall, trackers have that reputation. The "flights of stairs" estimate is imaginative, too.

Sometimes I'm in the REM stage when I'm wide awake. And sometimes I'm asleep when I'm reading something that isn't even boring. Some nights I get 8 hours even though my insomnia never let me get to sleep.

But I agree with your conclusion. These things are fun and useful, as long as you understand their strengths and weaknesses, and know when to trust them.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Garmin 920xt with Garmin Connect & Strava. I wnet for the 920 based on its multi-sport capabilities (it has a built in triathlon setting) great battery life and display that even my decrepit old geezer eyes can read without glasses.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Sometimes I'm in the REM stage when I'm wide awake. And sometimes I'm asleep when I'm reading something that isn't even boring. Some nights I get 8 hours even though my insomnia never let me get to sleep.

But I agree with your conclusion. These things are fun and useful, as long as you understand their strengths and weaknesses, and know when to trust them.

We could be sleep tracker twins, I swear. <eye roll>
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Garmin 920xt with Garmin Connect & Strava. I wnet for the 920 based on its multi-sport capabilities (it has a built in triathlon setting) great battery life and display that even my decrepit old geezer eyes can read without glasses.

That's one of the first things I noticed with the 5x. I could actually read the screen. If I put more than 2 fields on my old 630 I couldn't read it when I was running. With the 5x I can see all 4 fields. Finally, a watch made for old farts. :D
  • epr31295
    epr31295 Posts: 6,213 Member
    I use the Fitbit ionic I absolutely love it and have no idea what I would do without it now! I used to log my workouts and hope that the burns were close but now the Ionic automatically detects workouts and uses your hr to calculate calorie burn. Plus I have loaded my music on it so I never have to find a way to carry my phone also!
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Just started using the Fitbit Charge 3. Couple of niggles. I think the calorie count is quite high I am quite sedentary most days and it tells me I have been up more flights of stairs than I actually have. I do drive up a very steep hill every day and I think it might be registering this as several flights of stairs.

Otherwise I like it a lot. I got it as it is waterproof and I shall be using it swimming and it syncs with MFP. I like the sleep function. HR seems fairly close so happy with that as well.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited November 2018
    I have a fitbit charge HR (i got it for my birthday I think 2.5 years ago). It's pretty cool. I can't get it to measure distance accurately though. I tried changing stride length and that didn't work. Steps counted isn't really accurate either, maybe that's why. Calories burned seems to be fairly accurate however.

I would like to switch to Garmin though, and also something more watch-looking. Mine is just the thin band. But I figure my fitbit still works, no sense in spending the money on a new gadget yet.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    garmin vivoactive3-no music
    they seem pretty accurate. no weird data
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,168 Member
    I had a Garmin Vivoactive 3 and really enjoyed it as a great nexus of watch, fitness tracker, activity GPS watch....I gave it away and my Garmin 645 Music is in the mail and I should be getting it Thursday. I'm super excited. I bought one of those silly running earbud things and have been testing it with my phone. It is okay. When my 645 Music arrives, I'm going to go running at the beach with a speedo, my Garmin 645 Music, the little earbuds and it is going to be just like running naked with a sound track (at least that is the dream :) I'll report back if the magic really happens....or it is a tech disappointment as is often the case.
  • Marcel182
    Marcel182 Posts: 143 Member
    Withings Pulse 3D, turned Nokia, turned back to Withings.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Garmin Forerunner 25. Very basic running watch, but has everything I need (GPS, geeky stat stuff etc). It's linked to Garmin Connect, Strava, and MFP. Keep thinking about upgrading, but haven't pulled the trigger yet (mainly because I don't know which Garmin to pick).
  • fitlulu4150
    fitlulu4150 Posts: 1,371 Member
    I'm on my 2nd Garmin Forerunner 35 and I love it. The price is more affordable than other watches I've looked at and it literally does everything I need it to. The battery only needs charging every 4 days or so and it's completely waterproof. After drowning 2 fitbits this is very important to me. I have it connected to MFP for exercise and calories consumed. The phone app is very nice and gives a lot of detail. It has a nice HR monitor that works most of the time. Occasionally, it just doesn't get going but I'm pretty consistent HR wise and so I'm not too worried about it. The only time I look really closely at the HR function is when I'm running uphill............LOL At my age I have to be somewhat careful that I don't bust my heart right out of my chest or something.

It's a great product in my opinion.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Garmin Forerunner 225. I log my gym workouts manually.
  • coderdan82
    coderdan82 Posts: 133 Member
    I have the Garmin Vivoactive 3. I've only used it indoors at the gym (I got it just as winter started) but so far I love it. It's surprisingly good for strength training; you can design a workout, transfer it to the watch and it will tell you what exercise to do next, count your reps (not super accurate) and time your rest periods. Calories burned on cardio machines seem to be estimated well. The hr monitor seems accurate too, except on some weight lifting exercises where I flex my wrist muscles a lot. I have my calorie target set to my RMR in MFP and the extra calories that Garmin posts to MFP seems to bring the total to the ballpark of my daily burn. It has a built in GPS which I look forward to trying when the weather gets warmer.

I've been using Sleep As Android as a separate app to track my sleep. It works way better than the other ones. Unfortunately, there's a bug in the Garmin version that the developers have been struggling with for the past while so I can't use my watch for that yet.
  • Josh_Friedman
    Josh_Friedman Posts: 112 Member
    I've used several types of Fitbit that all seem to fail inside of a year for some reason, mostly power issues. I used a Garmin Vivosmart for a year until the band fell apart and I couldn't get a replacement. I also had to replace the charger several times. Right now I'm using a Samsung Gear Fit, which is great, but only holds a charge for 2 days or less.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Garmin Vivofit2. Bought it because it was inexpensive. Kept it because it works! It tracks sleep and steps. Mine is about 3 years old and they have upgraded them with HR monitors etc. What I like about my model is it uses a watch battery which is good for 1+ year. No daily recharging. It syncs with MFP.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Right now I'm using a Garmin Forerunner 935.

I also have a Garmin feni 5x, Suunto Ambit 3 Peak, and Polar V800.

I have owned many fitbits and other devices, but Garmin seems to be king of the fitness devices right now. Plus I have almost 4 years of workouts saved in Garmin Connect, so it has become pretty valuable data.