Planet Fitness

Options
If you can't become a healthier you and build good solid muscle at planet fitness than you do not know how to train your muscles properly. I've lost £65 of fat and have gained a significant amount of strength and muscle from working out at planet fitness and my own living Room. Now if you want to become a power lifter, that's another story. You definitely need squat racks and heavy barbells. Otherwise, complaining about planet fitness ignorant.

Replies

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    au10d8kvjtbv.gif<3
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    If you can't become a healthier you and build good solid muscle at planet fitness than you do not know how to train your muscles properly. I've lost £65 of fat and have gained a significant amount of strength and muscle from working out at planet fitness and my own living Room. Now if you want to become a power lifter, that's another story. You definitely need squat racks and heavy barbells. Otherwise, complaining about planet fitness ignorant.

To whom are you responding?

Clearly not the other thread, as the points mentioned have been discussed and are not the issue folks have with Planet Fitness.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

There's my issue. You nailed it.
  • Tacklewasher
    Options

There's my issue. You nailed it.

You need to go run on a treadmill....

:)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

To whom are you responding?

Clearly not the other thread, as the points mentioned have been discussed and are not the issue folks have with Planet Fitness.

That was my thought too.

(And I also want a squat rack and barbells.)
  • infinitynevermore
    infinitynevermore Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I was so sad when I realized that Planet Fitness doesn't have a squat rack. Question for lifters: can a Smith machine substitute, even temporarily, for a squat rack, or am I just screwed? I'm working my way up to a normal barbell weight with dumbbells at the moment, but when I get there, is it time to find a new gym?
  • quiksylver296
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I was so sad when I realized that Planet Fitness doesn't have a squat rack. Question for lifters: can a Smith machine substitute, even temporarily, for a squat rack, or am I just screwed? I'm working my way up to a normal barbell weight with dumbbells at the moment, but when I get there, is it time to find a new gym?

Do they have dumbbells? Goblet squats are probably a better bet than smith rack squats. The smith rack prevents a normal squatting motion, due to the fixed path of the bar.
  • Tacklewasher
    Options

Do they have dumbbells? Goblet squats are probably a better bet than smith rack squats. The smith rack prevents a normal squatting motion, due to the fixed path of the bar.

^^What (s)he said. I've seen very few people use the Smith Machine where I go (but I go at 5:30 am).
  • quiksylver296
    Options

^^What (s)he said. I've seen very few people use the Smith Machine where I go (but I go at 5:30 am).

At my gym (powerlifting/bodybuilding/strongman focused), I've seen the smith used for graduated push-ups and split squats, mostly.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Exactly this ^^^

And yes, I started out at PF but outgrew it for this exact reason...that and no bumper plates or platform to do deadlifts and cleans.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Started out at PF as well. It was perfect for me when I was (finally) returning to fitness and working out. But like several others here, I outgrew their offerings. I'm no body builder or power lifter, but there was a lot of equipment and tools I wanted access to that PF simply doesn't carry, in addition to needing a much larger weight selection and options.

I have nothing against PF, and frankly could care less how they market themselves, but doesn't mean you can accomplish all your goals (depending on what those goals are) at one, either.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options

It makes a nice adjustable brace for building up to push-ups on the floor. Keep lowering the bar to decrease the angle between your body and the floor.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options

At my gym (powerlifting/bodybuilding/strongman focused), I've seen the smith used for graduated push-ups and split squats, mostly.

Whoops, you beat me to it.