Family holiday biggest loser

Options
This Saturday my family is starting a big loser challenge. We weigh in the morning of 12/1 and then again 1/26 so it’s 8 weeks. So far with 16 of us, the winner take all pot is $896! Which is awesome. I am chuckling because lots of them are sending pics of what they are eating before Saturday to prepare and get that scale up. I will not do this because the competition for me is just a fun side tool for something I have to do anyway! I’d be happy to win but I will “win” using this as accountability through the holidays. Have any of y’all done this with family or co workers? Wish me luck!

Replies

• jaynee7283
    jaynee7283 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I tend to not share with my extended family that I'm trying to lose weight. Otherwise I get inundated with "helpful" info, which drives me nuts. I prefer to very quietly do what I need to do, thankyouverymuch. The only ones who know I'm actively losing weight in my family are my husband and kids, and they've been sworn to secrecy.

I have a family member that went keto in August and it is ALL SHE TALKS ABOUT now. I don't want to be that person either. I'm very happy that person lost 35 pounds thus far, but I don't need to talk about it ad nauseum.

I saw my family last month for a family event and no one noticed my 15 pound loss (which is fine). The next time I see any of them will be in the spring - with any luck I'll be down another 30 pounds by then, and at that point they'll "know." But I'll be so far into the process by then that they won't feel the need to "help" me.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,945 Member
    Options
    What could possibly go wrong with a family Biggest Loser contest? :lol:
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    My brother in law “prepping”.
  • DanniB423
    Options
    We send our weight through picture with a little note my Aunt sends to us as “proof”. Example: Danni put a note with a star on your scale. Only one Aunt sees and is “treasurer and score keeper.” It’s worth a shot.
  • DanniB423
    Options
    My husband joined too and he has NEVER been on board with me. So this will make life a little easier and more healthy for him as well. And it gives me two chances at the dough.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    DanniB423 wrote: »
    My husband joined too and he has NEVER been on board with me. So this will make life a little easier and more healthy for him as well. And it gives me two chances at the dough.

Well, then this is a win-win for you! Although everyone should have weighed in at the time this challenge was agreed upon and THEN done an official weigh-in on the 1st because cheating doesn't help them in the long run. But, hopefully all or some of your family will learn from it and will be beneficial in some way. Good luck!
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I’ve never done it, most of my family are already thin, but I have a few friends who have done it with their families. And my father-in-law has done it twice with a group of friends. It seems to be a good motivator for people but I have noticed that a lot of them seem to regain the weight afterward.

In fact, my father in law won his friend competition twice because he gained all the weight back after the first time.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    DanniB423 wrote: »
    My brother in law “prepping”.

I can only imagine what fun things they'll do to prep for the final weigh in :tongue: