Syncing Step trackers: Good or Bad?

Options
Is it beneficial to sync step trackers on top of the activity MFP figures into your daily calorie limit?

Thanks

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    yes
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Yep, otherwise you will be at a steeper deficit than you intend to be. The MFP calorie goal gives you a deficit with no exercise, so you are expected to log exercise (or sync your tracker) and eat back at least some of those extra calories.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,230 Member
    Options
    It is for me.

I don’t have to ask myself whether I was really sedentary or lightly active or how many hours of walking should I log for traipsing around Disney World or what about raking leaves or shoveling snow or what about on days when I really do just sit on the couch all day-how much should I take off? Does cleaning count as activity? How about cooking or running after a toddler? What about walking my dog - how much does it count if she decided she’s all done after 17 minutes? Do I still count that? What if I’m highly active only 3 days a week and sedentary the rest?

Some of those are insignificant, some are not.

Minutiae-but still questions daily. And questions I never have to ask because my tracker handles ALL of that.

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,681 Member
    Options
    I don't. Most of my steps are done on walks or running. I log those myself. I figure a few thousand extra steps aren't enough to make me hungry, and if I burn a little more than usual because we went shopping or something, it helps make up for the fact that my logging isn't that precise. If I had a job that required a lot of walking, it would be different, but my life is very sedentary aside from my deliberate exercise.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Yup, I find Garmin gives me more calories than MFP for the same number of steps so I always sync. I trust MFP more.
  • Charlene____
    Charlene____ Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Yes, my Fitbit syncs and when I follow the calories it gives me, I maintain just fine.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I think it's all personal preference.