Recovering from Thanksgiving

Options
2»

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    See-sawing is all that happens when I restrict in answer to eating over calories. My weight stabilizes in the same 2-4 days if I just eat at maintenance.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I’m going to enjoy it for what it is....a day out of the year where we celebrate with loved ones and eat good food. No need to fast...bad mindset imo

I have been on keto for 6 months. Don't necessarily consider it a bad mindset. Just asking questions. Relax ♡

So don't eat the carbs. Isn't there turkey and gravy on the table?

ETA:
    There's nothing you can do after you eat the carbs to make it magically be as though you didn't eat the carbs. If being in ketosis is more important to you than eating the foods everyone else is eating (the mac-n-cheese, stuffing, and rolls), stick to the turkey, gravy, and any non-starchy vegetables, if there are any on the table. Or bring a non-starchy side yourself.

If eating the foods everybody else is eating is more important to you than staying in ketosis, eat them, and accept the fact that you'll just have to wait for sufficient time to pass to get back to ketosis after you return to your low carb way of eating. There's no fast or detox that will speed up the process in any meaningful way (OK, if you go to zero carbs on a fast, it might knock a little time off compared to having 20 g of carbs or whatever you normally do, but that's pointless -- you could go to zero carbs and still eat protein and fat with the same result).
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    You must not be from the south 😂. My mother in laws house is a carb fest of the best mac n cheese, stuffing and rolls a girl could imagine. Haha

lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    I sleep in and then go about my day as usual.

Personally, I don't massively overeat at the holidays. But, even if you do, there is no need to change your routine. Get back onto your regular eating habits and go on with life.

This.

It's interesting that you call it a carbfest, since if anything I see extra fat.

Turkey -- mostly protein.

Mashed potatoes with butter -- yes, a starch, but unless I eat a crazy amount no more than at a normal dinner for me, but with more added fat than usual.

My sister's take on broccoli and cauliflower with cream cheese and parm -- vegetables spruced up with extra fat

My brussels with pancetta -- again, veg that are different due to added fat

Possible "fancy green beans" with slivered almonds, mushrooms, and dill, in garlic and olive oil -- again, added fat

Probably won't do creamed spinach this year, but same. (Although I found a creamed spinach with butternut squash recipe I might decide to try.)

Then. of course, desserts, but those are fat as much as carbs (this is where I'm putting my cranberries this year, in addition to apples and, of course, pumpkin).

I guess stuffing isn't a big thing in my house. I used to do it, but no one cared and I don't have a particularly large gathering these days, so probably won't.

Someone will bring rolls, but I usually don't eat them.

Anyway, I'll have leftovers, but so long as I'm not left with huge amounts of dessert (just enough for Friday breakfast and maybe another serving over the weekend), most of it can be easily made into normal-sized and calorie meals.

Heh, true, definitely not the south, I'm a midwesterner. Mac and cheese is as much fat as carbs (no, we don't normally have that, although at one time my sister's SO-in-law ran a soul restaurant and so we did, it was excellent and I miss it, love homemade mac & cheese). Rolls, like I said, I don't eat, not worth the calories to me, and I've always been a potatoes, not stuffing girl, but the stuffings I've made had sausage and again were as high in fat as carbs.

Bread bores me, which is probably why I don't fill up on anything bread-like. The exceptions are higher fat -- cornbread, naan -- but we don't have those on Thanksgiving. I do like rolls with butter but I decided to choose between those and potatoes when I started watching what I ate and potatoes (easily) won.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    I sleep in and then go about my day as usual.

Personally, I don't massively overeat at the holidays. But, even if you do, there is no need to change your routine. Get back onto your regular eating habits and go on with life.

This.

It's interesting that you call it a carbfest, since if anything I see extra fat.

Turkey -- mostly protein.

Mashed potatoes with butter -- yes, a starch, but unless I eat a crazy amount no more than at a normal dinner for me, but with more added fat than usual.

My sister's take on broccoli and cauliflower with cream cheese and parm -- vegetables spruced up with extra fat

My brussels with pancetta -- again, veg that are different due to added fat

Possible "fancy green beans" with slivered almonds, mushrooms, and dill, in garlic and olive oil -- again, added fat

Probably won't do creamed spinach this year, but same. (Although I found a creamed spinach with butternut squash recipe I might decide to try.)

Then. of course, desserts, but those are fat as much as carbs (this is where I'm putting my cranberries this year, in addition to apples and, of course, pumpkin).

I guess stuffing isn't a big thing in my house. I used to do it, but no one cared and I don't have a particularly large gathering these days, so probably won't.

Someone will bring rolls, but I usually don't eat them.

Anyway, I'll have leftovers, but so long as I'm not left with huge amounts of dessert (just enough for Friday breakfast and maybe another serving over the weekend), most of it can be easily made into normal-sized and calorie meals.

Can I eat at your house? Cause I'm a diabetic and my family is all about the carbs. We have rolls, cornbread, actual corn, stuffing, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, green beans, gravy, cranberry sauce, and about four kinds of pie: pumpkin, pecan, chess, and chocolate silk. Apart from the turkey itself, the green beans, and a salad I usually bring but can't this year unless I can find lettuce which isn't romaine, everything is too carby for me to eat safely.

Sure, c'mon over!
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    Re salad, see if you can find butter lettuce. For some reason it's all over here right now, and a great romaine replacement (I prefer it).
  • saralee555
    saralee555 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I find it really entertaining to hear from others about what their family makes for Thanksgiving meals. I will include a pic of our carbfest....minus a pie pic0jfyty42cnu0.jpg
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering if anyone got a concussion/KO'd/slammed by Thanksgiving carbohydrates (lol, re: thread title)...heavy weight world champ
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    What toxins do you think you took in that you need to “detox” from?

Detoxes are bunk and don’t accomplish anything except make your wallet lighter. They’re a diet industry scam.
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I’m going to enjoy it for what it is....a day out of the year where we celebrate with loved ones and eat good food. No need to fast...bad mindset imo

I have been on keto for 6 months. Don't necessarily consider it a bad mindset. Just asking questions. Relax ♡

I’ve been doing keto since the first of the year, but I’ve taken breaks before and I will again. I ate what I wanted to eat on Thanksgiving, woke up the next morning and went back to normal. I’m fat adapted, so I was back in ketosis by noon. I’m using whatever leftovers I can adapt into my regular way of eating, and I’ve managed to give away most of the rest.

I’m not really sure what else a person would do, honestly. If you want to be on keto and you go off, go back on. It’s still there.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Its one day......move on!
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    Since I had to work I just ate normally & have nothing to really 'recover' from.

Since I had a large deficit from working the sale on Dark Thursday & some of the other days this weekend I allowed myself to eat a whole pint of ice cream since it fit in my maintenance calories.

Even if I did go over a bit for the holiday I'd either just chalk it up to not losing weight this week or just lowering my calories a bit to compensate without feeling deprived.
  • patrickaa5
    patrickaa5 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I pretty much "pigged out" Wednesday thru Sunday, but kept track of everything. I was up 3lbs Monday morning, but I'm already back down to where I was to begin with. Doesn't take that long to lose that excess water and undigested food.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't particularly think of it as a carb fest...we had a couple of charcuterie boards and shrimp cocktail for appetizers. I had a plate of turkey, sausage stuffing, mashed rutabaga, green bean casserole, and a slice of pumpkin pie for desert.

At any rate, Thanksgiving is a day...I don't celebrate Thanksgiving all week. Most of my week was business as usual...went to the gym on Monday, trail ride on Tuesday, gym on Wednesday, 15 mile road ride Thanksgiving morning while everyone else did the turkey trot...Friday we went to Santa Fe and walked around the plaza with the family all day...gym Saturday and went and picked up our Christmas tree Sunday and started decorating.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I went on a 7 mile run the day after, no worries :)
  • littletahoma
    littletahoma Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I tried to just enjoy the holiday weekend, ate as my heart desired! A bit slow getting back into working out this week, but I always ebb and flow there. I need that balance.

I didn’t track calories those days, so back in that 100%! Skipped a weigh in last Sunday!!!

Hope your feeling back on track!