Struggle with sweets

Options
I been failing with sweets almost everyday that messes my entire day of eating clean. The trend so far is all is good until evening and then end of the day when energy is low or feel exhausted , I give up eating a small portion of sweets and that is it. Need to break out of this habit, know will power is the key but any other thoughts suggestions...anyone can relate to....

Stay Strong!

Replies

• littlebear0121
    littlebear0121 Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Could you try to drink tea instead? It helps me just to go to bed earlier, also.
  • navdeeprana
    navdeeprana Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I usually take green tea around 4 cups a day ...an hour before bed too. Does tea helps you to avoid cravings
  • navdeeprana
    Options
    @janejellyroll : that is where I kinda keep struggling though not going to give up, I started with a early chocolate cubes every night and then I am pathetic at controlling portions of sweets....it is like an addiction for me...just a little portion and there you go....I do not have same stuggle with junk food lol..

@AmyC2288 : Thanks for sharing , going to give it a try however chocolates just gets me :)
  • navdeeprana
    Options
    @quiksylver296 @janejellyroll : ok so I am going to give it an honest shot at saving some calories near the day end for sweets that will help changing the mentality of deprieving sweets altogether and messing up

@paperpudding : great idea to keep it at a place away versus easily reachable. Thanks it really is worth trying, since easy access and having at home in bulk was another factor.

• AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Agree with the person above who mentioned portions. I really like having my dessert already portioned out for me so the ice cream bars are perfect because they are already individually wrapped. It takes away the step of having to create my own portions.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,259 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    There is a thread on the Motivation and Support board titled, "Just for Today" and it's about committing to doing something just for that ONE day. I went one day and typed a reply that I was going to not have snacks between dinner and bed (I eat late enough that it's not a hunger issue, just a bad habit that I need to break). Just by typing those words and putting it out there was a huge change in my thinking. Maybe think about what you're willing to commit to (giving it up? allowing yourself a portion that fits your calorie goals?) and stop by that discussion. I totally get it.
    Good luck :heart:
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Can you purchase just an individual package? Like a small package of Hershey's kisses and limit to one or two a day? Heck if you eat them all it's only 220 cal but when they are gone they are gone until you go out again?
  • KaylaMack013
    KaylaMack013 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I usually have some fruit and a small nip of dark chocolate and that always seems to help the sweet cravings!
  • navdeeprana
    Options
    @AmyC2288 : Indeed.
    @girlwithcurls2 : Thank you will stop by that thread
    @leanjogreen18 : I would need at least five of the individual kisses. But great point.
    @KaylaMack013 : I am going to try it. Thank you
  • littletahoma
    littletahoma Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have the same issues, what I realized is as long as I stay in my calorie goals, I’m still hitting my targets. If that means 200 calories a day reserved for something sweet, I enjoy it.

I was binging on candy at night so this alone is a good improvement for me.

I also try tea as someone else mentioned with a little stevia.

Be kind to yourself, and best of luck! Changing a bad habit is tough.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    @janejellyroll : that is where I kinda keep struggling though not going to give up, I started with a early chocolate cubes every night and then I am pathetic at controlling portions of sweets....it is like an addiction for me...just a little portion and there you go....I do not have same stuggle with junk food lol..

@AmyC2288 : Thanks for sharing , going to give it a try however chocolates just gets me :)

There are some foods I simply cannot moderate, and so I do not bring them into the house.

Others, though, I weigh out a portion, put the rest away and out of site, and I'm fine.

I eat chocolate super slowly, letting small bites dissolve in my mouth rather than chewing them. When I eat this way, I am satisfied with 70 calories or less.

Chocolate chips work better for this for me than kisses would.

I also like Ghirardelli squares - I nibble around the edge first.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    man I finally reserved sweets calories near end of the day .....can't tell you folks how much it helped me versus deprieving all together. Thanks again folks.

Pre logging them for my evening snack made all the difference for me. I'm glad you've found it works for you as well.

Best wishes!
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    It’s hard, but learning to moderate sweets (really all foods) for me, is the only way I can get this to work. As others stated, I too, save calories for the end of the day. A Dove dark chocolate Promise @ around 40 calories for me. I am hoping that portion control and moderation skills will lead to an easy transition to maintaining life long weight management.