Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

No intimidation "gyms"

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    To anyone who may have been living in an advertising wasteland and has missed the fact that PF's marketing campaign negatively targets what they call "lunks" - this one's for you:

https://youtu.be/yhDcjlYrwmQ

PS: No dog in this fight, either. I workout at home. Methinks their "Judgement Free Zone" campaign is merely a watered-down version of the same premise, though.

The narrative of all the PF ads I've seen posted on this thread (versus the ones I see on TV, which focus on low price and 24/7 hours) is

<snippage since I only want to address one point>

The ads in my area shifted over time. I remember when PF first started in the area. They went with the no-intimidation angle. BTW, I'm in the Philadelphia television market, so this isn't some small area of the country. I remember the ads like the ones posted in this thread.

Lately, the ads do stress the 24 hour availability and that it's clean like the ones you say you see.

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    mreichard wrote: »
    Here's an idea --- re-read what you wrote, substituting an offensive term for some other group for "lunks" and "bros" and see how it sounds to you. It's not a good look.

mmapags wrote: »
    Exactly! And to take it further:
    I don't have to be a racial minority to find racial stereotypes offensive.
    I don't have to be gay to find homophobia offensive.
    I don't have to be a woman to find sexual discrimination offensive.

I'm glad somebody else went there. I was trying hard to find a way to address it and stay within the lines. There's so much wrong there that it makes normal wrong look right.

That's pretty much what I was thinking when I posted my post but I was too busy sputtering with incredulity to think of an appropriate way to post it.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited November 2018
    To anyone who may have been living in an advertising wasteland and has missed the fact that PF's marketing campaign negatively targets what they call "lunks" - this one's for you:

PS: No dog in this fight, either. I workout at home. Methinks their "Judgement Free Zone" campaign is merely a watered-down version of the same premise, though.

The narrative of all the PF ads I've seen posted on this thread (versus the ones I see on TV, which focus on low price and 24/7 hours) is

Prospective Customer: My experience or belief about gyms is horrible and absurd thing X. [Lunk alarm is part of anecdote/reminiscene of prospective customer]
    PF employee trying to make a sale: That won't happen to you here. We're not a gym.

Not sure what TV you're seeing but all the national ads I've seen are the videos posted here which don't mention cost or hours. There may be some local ads that just focus on price and 24 hours (probably the case as not all PFs are 24/7). The national ads I've seen all start with examples of what PF considers examples stereotyped "lunk" behavior. Next, they show the perspective PF member in an almost confessional tone talking to the PF employee who looks at and talks to them like the employee is a grief counselor.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member

I belong to PF, a community rec center, and a workplace gym - I’ve been a gym rat my entire adult life so I’ve seen it all when it comes to gym cultures.

I’m offended by very little, including PF animosity. I’m more amused than anything with this, the faux outrage / faux victim-hood associated with poking fun at “lunks”, as if they are some downtrodden race of people who are getting discriminated against. Can we redraft the 14th Amendment to include lunks? Check with your local Congressman, anything is possible.

The TV advertising targets a set of behaviors which are greatly exaggerated for amusement and easy to refrain from engaging in - the best response is to not give PF your ten bucks and invest your time in causes with actual victims who need your help, the bros at the gym are going to be just fine.

On the scale of problems in the world, this one is pretty minor. But... your post seems really entitled and dismissive to me. You get that there are PFs where real people in the actual world who innocently paid their 10 bucks and went to work out have had a loud noise and a flashing light single them out for ridicule, right? But.. they'll be just fine? This experience was only "poking fun at them"? And you know that's how they feel about it how exactly? Because you say so? And while you're at it, you'll also give them a dismissive nickname and mock the idea that maybe this is a bad idea?

Here's an idea --- re-read what you wrote, substituting an offensive term for some other group for "lunks" and "bros" and see how it sounds to you. It's not a good look.

So being a lunk or a bro, which is entirely a choice based upon one’s behavior, is the same as being a racial or ethnic minority, handicapped, homosexual, etc? No, just stop with this, seriously, you are marginalizing real discrimination and offensiveness.

I find that the ability to step back and actually listen to others is really helpful in discussions like this. I hear your concern about trivializing “real discrimination.” I’m technically a member of a group that has suffered a lot of discrimination, and while that’s not a big part of my identity I somewhat get the concern, although my personal experience of ethnic hate has been limited to hearing some random comments and jokes.

As a parent in a diverse, urban public school that’s also a leader in accommodating/accepting trans students (the school, not me - I’m just a dad), I’ve heard this kind of concern before from members of minority communities who are concerned that efforts to accommodate trans students will distract from their issues. The school’s approach - and it makes sense to me generally - is that the key to reaching common ground is to embrace a fundamental principle that discrimination and shaming are wrong, no matter who the targets are.

With that in mind, read what I wrote again. I noted that this is not a significant problem. But then I presented the scenario of a person who innocently pays their $10 and goes to PF to work out. A flashing light and alarm goes off specifically in order to humiliate them because they engage in a perfectly normal behavior that is in no sane universe intentionally offensive (grunting, clanking heavy weights ). And the company proudly touts their policy of humiliating customers in their advertising. This is objectivey offensive. Recognizing that doesn’t in any way marginalize “real” discrimination. In fact, recognizing a general principle of not shaming and singling people out tends to enhance efforts to fight all kinds of discrimination because it encourages a community of “all of us” rather and a bunch of competing “us against them” groups.

Well said! Especially the bolded.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Prospective Customer: My experience or belief about gyms is horrible and absurd thing X. [Lunk alarm is part of anecdote/reminiscene of prospective customer]
    PF employee trying to make a sale: That won't happen to you here. We're not a gym.

Not sure what TV you're seeing but all the national ads I've seen are the videos posted here which don't mention cost or hours. There may be some local ads that just focus on price and 24 hours (probably the case as not all PFs are 24/7). The national ads I've seen all start with examples of what PF considers examples stereotyped "lunk" behavior. Next, they show the perspective PF member in an almost confessional tone talking to the PF employee who looks at and talks to them like the employee is a grief counselor.

Even the copy on their main club pages don't mention cost or hours as their appeal. Here's an example, but it's the same on all Chicago clubs, and probably nationwide:

"We strive to create a workout environment where everyone feels accepted and respected. That’s why at Planet Fitness Chicago (Streeterville), IL we take care to make sure our club is clean and welcoming, our staff is friendly, and our certified trainers are ready to help. Whether you’re a first-time gym user or a fitness veteran, you’ll always have a home in our Judgement Free Zone™."

I checked the club I used to go to (which was completely clean and everyone was friendly, which has been my experience with all clubs), and by contrast it pushes it's convenience and location and hours and the availability of classes how that helps one stick to a workout routine.

I don't think the PF ad copy quoted above is bad in and of itself, of course, but it shows their push is about how it's supposedly non intimidating, not cost and hours. In conjunction with the ads slamming other gyms and gym-goers, I do think the intended effect is to make you think other gyms will make you feel disrespected and unwelcome, and that they will not be clean.

This was interesting to look at, since as mentioned above I've found it very strange that virtually every newbie gym goer posting about how PF is best because it's not mean and the equipment is always available also adds that it's clean, as if this was supposed to be some special thing vs. other gyms.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    edited November 2018
    annaskiski wrote: »
    I think that this whole thread shows that people are overly crazy about political correctness.

It's a friggin' funny commercial! (set of commercials)

Come on! If you lift you aren't really insulted. This is more pride disguised as offense....

I mean, I don't know if this is an entirely unpredictable take from someone who finds the ads funny.

If you dislike lifters enough to find the ads funny, it's not surprising any negative feeling they have about the ads will be attributed to "pride."

How could they be insulted, anyway? They're just "lunks," right?

I lift regularly. I find the ads hilarious...

(and I love lifters, and hang with them a lot).
    But the ones I hang with are not 'offended' by PF commercials.

I have to say, if you are really offended by them, I am baffled....
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    The "lunks" I hang around are engineers who think its fun to heave iron at lunch.
    The company gym is loud with grunting and clanging weights at lunch....and not one single one of them would be offended by being called a 'lunk'.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I'm not offended being called skinny minny or being told I'm too thin and if someone told me to eat a sandwich I'd laugh, but that doesn't make it okay to make fun of people for being thin or to spread stereotypes about supposedly b-chy thin people.

I also wouldn't mind someone seeing me lifting and saying "lemurcat! you are becoming quite a lunkhead," since I'd know they didn't really mean it and I would know they were commenting on something I consider positive (and since the insulting aspect is muscle-y and dumb and I know I'm not thought to be either, really), but that doesn't mean that calling people big and dumb is okay or not extremely insulting in some contexts (in a more serious context I'd be way more offended by being seriously called dumb or slutty or uneducated (all related to the stereotypes PF is using) than being told I was fat).
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    edited November 2018
    kimny72 wrote: »

I belong to PF, a community rec center, and a workplace gym - I’ve been a gym rat my entire adult life so I’ve seen it all when it comes to gym cultures.

I’m offended by very little, including PF animosity. I’m more amused than anything with this, the faux outrage / faux victim-hood associated with poking fun at “lunks”, as if they are some downtrodden race of people who are getting discriminated against. Can we redraft the 14th Amendment to include lunks? Check with your local Congressman, anything is possible.

The TV advertising targets a set of behaviors which are greatly exaggerated for amusement and easy to refrain from engaging in - the best response is to not give PF your ten bucks and invest your time in causes with actual victims who need your help, the bros at the gym are going to be just fine.

On the scale of problems in the world, this one is pretty minor. But... your post seems really entitled and dismissive to me. You get that there are PFs where real people in the actual world who innocently paid their 10 bucks and went to work out have had a loud noise and a flashing light single them out for ridicule, right? But.. they'll be just fine? This experience was only "poking fun at them"? And you know that's how they feel about it how exactly? Because you say so? And while you're at it, you'll also give them a dismissive nickname and mock the idea that maybe this is a bad idea?

So being a lunk or a bro, which is entirely a choice based upon one’s behavior, is the same as being a racial or ethnic minority, handicapped, homosexual, etc? No, just stop with this, seriously, you are marginalizing real discrimination and offensiveness.

That's not at all how I read what that poster was saying.

You seem to be arguing under the assumption that other gyms are in fact full of people who choose to be lunks, so poking fun at said lunks is not that bad.

What I see posters here being offended by is that PF ads insinuated that other gyms are full of lunks (over-muscled stupid barely verbal bros who will scare you and judge you) and that is insulting and unfair to the real people at those gyms who are 99% of the time not at all like that. It's stereotyping people who go to other gyms in an insulting light, very much like other groups of people are stereotyped in an insulting and not accurate way. Of course there are degrees of the seriousness to stereotyping, and some stereotypes are more harmful and dangerous than others. But stereotyping people who workout at other gyms inaccurately as lunks, and then using the fear/distaste for lunks as a reason to go to PF is kind of *kitten*, don't you think? While it might differ in degree from other stereotypes, it's the same idea. I'm going to convince you that all people in this group have this negative trait and scare you into believing my group is better/safer/cleaner etc.

I was aware of these PF commercials years before I ever joined one and I didn’t associate any of the lunks’ behavior with myself because I didn’t engage in any of it, even though I was a member of a “judgmental gym”.

My takeaway from the commercials is that other gyms tend to tolerate lunkish behavior while PF doesn’t, not that every single person who belongs to a gym not operated by PF is a lunk.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    I have to ask - what's the problem with big water containers? I've never noticed anyone carrying around a big jug of water, but I wouldn't have paid any attention before this thread. I had no idea it was a thing.