Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

1200 Calories for All Heights? (5'2" women opionions wanted)

Replies

• dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    MFP is a website...nothing more, nothing less. It is not your personal dietician, nutritionist or doctor. It uses a computerized algorithm to find an "average" of what you should consume based on the minimal amount of information you provide. My last client last night, for example. She's 4'9", 93 pounds. She doesn't see me to lose/gain weight, she sees me for a medical condition that she has in which she has to maintain certain dietary standards which I assist her with. Her daily average caloric intake is between 850-1000 calories, and I would NEVER tell her to eat more than that because it wouldn't be healthy for her. BUT, we did not figure this number based on punching a few lifestyle factoids about her into a computer program. This website is a tool, a helpful tool, but it is not science. There's no such thing as a magic calorie number to eat per day that is going to help you gain/lose/maintain weight. It's different for everybody. I have two clients with eating disorders. Both at the exact same height and weight when I started with them. Due to factors you cannot judge by a computer program, one of them is on a diet eating 300 calories a day more than the other. Everybody burns differently, and as I said before, if you want to know for sure, go see somebody who specializes in that field. You're already getting a ton of completely bogus and far out answers on this post, and I don't want your thought process skewed by people who are giving you bad/wrong advice.
  • MJLavaty
    MJLavaty Posts: 72 Member
    Thanks for all the great responses! A lot of what was suggested/said really helped put it into perspective : )
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    MFP is a website...nothing more, nothing less. It is not your personal dietician, nutritionist or doctor. It uses a computerized algorithm to find an "average" of what you should consume based on the minimal amount of information you provide. My last client last night, for example. She's 4'9", 93 pounds. She doesn't see me to lose/gain weight, she sees me for a medical condition that she has in which she has to maintain certain dietary standards which I assist her with. Her daily average caloric intake is between 850-1000 calories, and I would NEVER tell her to eat more than that because it wouldn't be healthy for her. BUT, we did not figure this number based on punching a few lifestyle factoids about her into a computer program. This website is a tool, a helpful tool, but it is not science. There's no such thing as a magic calorie number to eat per day that is going to help you gain/lose/maintain weight. It's different for everybody. I have two clients with eating disorders. Both at the exact same height and weight when I started with them. Due to factors you cannot judge by a computer program, one of them is on a diet eating 300 calories a day more than the other. Everybody burns differently, and as I said before, if you want to know for sure, go see somebody who specializes in that field. You're already getting a ton of completely bogus and far out answers on this post, and I don't want your thought process skewed by people who are giving you bad/wrong advice.

I agree. I was tested twice within 2 months and the results varied quite a bit. :smile:
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    I'm 4'11". I have 1100 calorie days where I ate my three meals and snacks. I won't force feed myself just to get to 1200.
  • schobert101
    schobert101 Posts: 218 Member
    Here is another thought. I guess you feel you are dicriminated against for being short................I'm going to argue (jokingly) that I'm being discriminated against for being old since BMR fluctuated with age. Although I'm 5'8" at my age of 58 my BMR is only 1267 but at your age of 27 it is 1417 (if you were my height). So I guess we all have our burderns. Now the short, old people are really in trouble :smile:
  • MJLavaty
    MJLavaty Posts: 72 Member
    Here is another thought. I guess you feel you are dicriminated against for being short................I'm going to argue (jokingly) that I'm being discriminated against for being old since BMR fluctuated with age. Although I'm 5'8" at my age of 58 my BMR is only 1267 but at your age of 27 it is 1417 (if you were my height). So I guess we all have our burderns. Now the short, old people are really in trouble :smile:

Not necessarily discriminated against...its just in the nature of the math. Never thought of it that way though! I better get into healthy eating habits before I get to old ; )
  • cjw6
    cjw6 Posts: 94 Member
    Erm your bones don't actually use that much energy at all- your muscles maybe.
  • kgesq
    kgesq Posts: 65 Member
    As I understand it, any recommendation to consume less than 1200 calories should come from a doctor. My sister (5'7") claims she cut her calories to 1000 and admitted she felt like she would pass out a few times. She lost 25 lbs in about 6 months, but I think she would have gotten better, faster results from eating more. I think a doc would only recommend such a drastic calorie reduction for someone who was fairly obese.
  • zojo78
    zojo78 Posts: 29 Member
    I'm 5'5" and if I eat the full 1200 calories I don't lose any weight. I have to eat around 1000 to lose. Even if I eat 1200 and exercise everyday I don't lose. So I ignore what they say, and hope for the best. I know they says it's unhealthy - but so is being overweight.

Exactly this for me too - even been doing Insanity and eating 1200 and not losing! When I go to 1000 I lose. I'm 5'4".
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    I'm 5'5" and if I eat the full 1200 calories I don't lose any weight. I have to eat around 1000 to lose. Even if I eat 1200 and exercise everyday I don't lose. So I ignore what they say, and hope for the best. I know they says it's unhealthy - but so is being overweight.

Exactly this for me too - even been doing Insanity and eating 1200 and not losing! When I go to 1000 I lose. I'm 5'4".

So that mean that for the rest of your life you will have to eat 1000 calories or gain weight!!! How about repairing the horrible damage you did to your metabolism first?
  • bree2012
    bree2012 Posts: 179
    I am 5'3 and I have 8 more pounds to go.
    I did not adhere strictly to1200 calories, though. I have a tendency to binge and overeat. But there was a week where I ate strictly 1200 calories and I managed to lose 2 pounds.
  • kneeki
    kneeki Posts: 347 Member
    Please, stop using the word nutritionist. They are not doctors, nor are they licensed, Dietitians are licensed. Anyone can claim they are a 'nutritionist'... On another note, using: (14 x bodyweight) = maintenance is a good practice.
  • msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member

Short and old, yup, I resemble that.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member

So that mean that for the rest of your life you will have to eat 1000 calories or gain weight!!! How about repairing the horrible damage you did to your metabolism first?

I agree with Yanicka 100%.

Also, for a point of reference for the OP.

I "tried" 1200 at first (I am 5'2").
    I was so hungry weak and tired.
    Bumped to 1500, lost everything I wanted to lose PLUS some, then slowly raised to 2000 while gaining a few pounds up to 110 and look better than I did at 103 due to heavy weight training.

I now eat at least 2000 a day.
  • geekymom57
    geekymom57 Posts: 176 Member
    So I guess we all have our burderns. Now the short, old people are really in trouble :smile:

i'm short (5'4"), old-ish (54) and have hypothyroidism that's hard to stabilize. I think that means I'm really REALLY in trouble!
  • msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member

I agree with Yanicka 100%.

Also, for a point of reference for the OP.

I "tried" 1200 at first (I am 5'2").
    I was so hungry weak and tired.
    Bumped to 1500, lost everything I wanted to lose PLUS some, then slowly raised to 2000 while gaining a few pounds up to 110 and look better than I did at 103 due to heavy weight training.

I now eat at least 2000 a day.

I wanna be you when I grow down.
  • inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    I'm 5'10" and if I ate 1,200 calories a day, I would go into starvation mode. So 1,200 would work well for a shorter person, but for me it would be extremely unhealthy.
  • porkycorky
    porkycorky Posts: 4 Member
    hi there,I am only 5ft, but deffinatly think 1200 cals is too much for me. I have to eat no less than 1,000 cals a day,and i will lose
    between 1 to 1/2 pounds.. hope thos helps x
  • cupotee
    cupotee Posts: 181 Member
    I guess its a Western thing. I know in China and Korea (where the average height of a woman is around 5'2) doctors recommend women to ingest between 1000-1500 cals a day on a diet, depending on activity level. So the number is lower, but not by much. I'm sure if you eat different foods every day and make stuff nutritious, you'll be fine, especially being as health conscious as you obviously are, using MFP.

I'm personally 5'2 and I maintain at around 1500-1600cals, so I don't freak out if my intake doesn't hit 1200 (rarely happens anyway).
  • RanayeG
    RanayeG Posts: 12
    I'm 5'10" and if I ate 1,200 calories a day, I would go into starvation mode. So 1,200 would work well for a shorter person, but for me it would be extremely unhealthy.

I too am 5'10" & I am very dedicated in eating no more than 1200 NET calories a day. I have lost almost 8 pounds in 3 weeks & feeling great. That is not to say I don't eat more than 1200 some days, but those days I push myself a little bit harder on the exercise to get my net calorie intake between 1100 & 1200. Before, I thought to myself as long as I was between 950 & 1200 (net) I would be fine, but I started to get sick to my stomach & have nasty headaches. I now make sure that I am getting atleast 1100, but not over 1200. I am feeling great & look the best I have in over a year.