A Bad Gall Bladder Was the Reason I Wasn't Losing the Weight

Options
13»

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    sltrooien wrote: »
    Has anyone had issues with GAINing weight after they had their gallbladder removed?

This actually makes sense (more than the other way) if the gallbladder problems were affecting your appetite.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    my mother had pain for years till she ended up in emergency several times, the last time to have her enlarged gall bladder that was FULL of stones removed. her overall weight didn't change from before and after - she didn't lose weight after or gain.

she ate a super low fat diet all her life, not to lose weight but just because. it was fairly high in cholesterol, though - which is sometimes a component of gallstones.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I had my gal bladder out in 2012. It was the size of a baseball and filled with stones. My pain, once it hit, was constant until it was removed.

I gained weight while I still had my gal bladder, and lost weight while I still had my gal bladder. I gained weight without my gal bladder and lost weight without my gal bladder! It did not make a difference to me at all.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    sltrooien wrote: »
    Has anyone had issues with GAINing weight after they had their gallbladder removed?
    dbienz wrote: »
    Has anyone ever gained weight after having their gallbladder removed? I was steadily losing weight, doing really well in my routine and since my surgery 4 months ago I have gained 10 of my 30 pounds back :disappointed: I am back to my normal food and gym routine and still GAINING weight.

Certainly. After I had mine removed, I didn't have to be as mindful about food intake anymore.

I still have attacks, once or twice a year, usually out of the blue, but I know I have to be careful with eggs and certain raw vegetables.

This whole thread is insane, the necro bit is nothing :s If what you eat isn't broken down and digested properly, you won't gain additional weight from that! But if you change your diet, and that includes eating fewer calories than you burn, yes, you'll lose weight!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Holy necro.

This is what I was thinking! Regular bumps by new people with gall bladder issues. Interesting.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Holy necro.

This is what I was thinking! Regular bumps by new people with gall bladder issues. Interesting.

But if they start a new thread, people tell them to use search.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Holy necro.

But if they start a new thread, people tell them to use search.

I'm not complaining. It's interesting is all.
  • pipmcgrath
    pipmcgrath Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    dbienz wrote: »
    Has anyone ever gained weight after having their gallbladder removed? I was steadily losing weight, doing really well in my routine and since my surgery 4 months ago I have gained 10 of my 30 pounds back :disappointed: I am back to my normal food and gym routine and still GAINING weight.

Yep, I lost nearly 7 stone, had my gallbladder taken out, now regained 2.7 stone.

• pipmcgrath
    pipmcgrath Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Haven't managed to lose anything since I had my operation, just steadily gained since July last year
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I've lost 160+ lbs. Half was before removal and half was after. I had one gain immediately after surgery that was no doubt from fluids. I had no idea my GB was bad until I had one nasty attack and elevated liver enzymes. Surgeon said it was like a beanbag.

Soooooo....I don't think it has much effect at all on weight loss or gain. If you have chronic issues and avoid food, it makes sense you might GAIN after removal. Also, a severely diseased gallbladder or lack of one means you may not be fully digesting fats, so you would think that could save a few calories either way.
  • kristaquigley1
    kristaquigley1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had a gall bladder attack 2 weeks ago, I have not been the same since. I know because I have had one before, extremely painful, but was able to take a shot of apple cider vinegar and wait the 5 hours for the pain to go away. My mother died in March of Bile duct cancer. She had always had problems with her gall bladder. Although I am not over weight, I have weighed the same 118 lbs for 27 years. I have put on 9 lbs. in these 2 weeks, I have done nothing different, so this is FREAKING me out. Is this weight gain from my gall bladder attack, if so, what do I do? I have stopped eating any fried greasy foods like I ate the day I had it. I drink NO soda or carbonated drinks, like I said, nothing different, this weight gain is killing me! what do I do?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It's most likely fluid retention, not a gain of fat. The fluids are from inflammation/infection in your body. You might consider seeing a doctor instead of drinking ACV. Just a thought.
    To put your mind at ease, weight gain generally is not a sign of cancer. Unexplained weight loss could be.
  • 2_FitNFab
    2_FitNFab Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    https://www.jacksonsurgical.com/blog/2011/8/30/symptoms-of-gallbladder-disease.html

The article in the above link states gallbladder disease can be related to constipation and weight gain.