Eggs & Spinach?

Options
KarenPopoff
KarenPopoff Posts: 38 Member
I have seen that some have put spinach with eggs. Can you tell me how you cook this? Tx.

Replies

• albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    scrambled for me. I'm a lousy cook.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    I just cut the spinach into pieces as I do my cheese and mix it into my beaten eggs for an omelet.

Alternatively you can use the spinach leaf as a "wrap" rather than the soft shell tortillas etc surrounding the egg.
  • wozzy38
    wozzy38 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    i put spinach in egg whites with 1/4 cup of light sargento cheese for breakfast ..
  • Murphk323
    Murphk323 Posts: 184
    Options
    I have seen that some have put spinach with eggs. Can you tell me how you cook this? Tx.

* 3 egg whites
    * 1 tablespoon nonfat milk
    * 1/2 tsp dried mixed herbs (if you want....it's optional)
    * Salt/Pepper
    * 3/4 cup chopped fresh baby spinach
    * 1 tablespoon reduced-fat shredded sharp cheddar or grated parmesan

combine the egg whites/milk/herbs in a small bowl. put some cooking spray on a skillet and set to medium-low heat. Add chopped spinach. It will wilt and then you pour egg white mixture over the spinach and allow to set around the edges. Once its cooked, fold and add your cheese and salt/pepper.

Calories: 81
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I make scrambled eggs and put them on a bed of cooked spinach instead of toast when I am trying to cut carbs. Very nice with a little worcestershire sauce :-)
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I just cut the spinach into pieces as I do my cheese and mix it into my beaten eggs for an omelet.

Alternatively you can use the spinach leaf as a "wrap" rather than the soft shell tortillas etc surrounding the egg.
    How big are your spinach leaves???

I just scramble them in with the eggs, same as I'd do with any other vegetable... (btw - they're really good with red bell peppers and mushrooms tossed in as well).
  • zml_mom
    zml_mom Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    i have fresh spinach leaves so I just take a few and throw it in the pan if I am making scrambled eggs or I do a spinach and cheese omelet
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options

* 3 egg whites
    * 1 tablespoon nonfat milk
    * 1/2 tsp dried mixed herbs (if you want....it's optional)
    * Salt/Pepper
    * 3/4 cup chopped fresh baby spinach
    * 1 tablespoon reduced-fat shredded sharp cheddar or grated parmesan

combine the egg whites/milk/herbs in a small bowl. put some cooking spray on a skillet and set to medium-low heat. Add chopped spinach. It will wilt and then you pour egg white mixture over the spinach and allow to set around the edges. Once its cooked, fold and add your cheese and salt/pepper.

Calories: 81
    Thank you for the recipe. Not being picky, but I think the total calorie number is probably underestimated. :) I think if you eat the whole thing, it could be up to 100 cal.
  • Murphk323
    Options
    I added the calories on a recipe calculator...who knows, those things are probably not very accurate :-\
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I add a whole bunch of stuff to a ziploc baggie and mush around (egg whites, spinach, cheese, mushrooms, etc). And boil iin boiling water for like 10 mins or so and TA DA omelet!
  • Murphk323
    Options
    I add a whole bunch of stuff to a ziploc baggie and mush around (egg whites, spinach, cheese, mushrooms, etc). And boil iin boiling water for like 10 mins or so and TA DA omelet!

i'm going to try this actually, sounds like the bomb dot com! ;)
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    I either put a tablespoon of olive oil in a pan and wilt chopped up spinach leaves or spray the pan with a shot of PAM and then wilt the spinach in that.

Then I add the egg, milk and lean sliced ham mixture into it and scramble it all up.

It's really good. Of course, you can add whatever you want to the omelet.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I saute some turkey sausage till its warm; add in torn-up baby spinach leaves, cook until wilted. Then, add 1/2-Cup of egg beaters and some fat-free feta cheese, and cook until done. I love that breakfast; it keeps me full for a few hours, and is less than 200 calories. Low-carb to boot.

I can also put everything together in a bowl, and microwave it a couple minutes, stir, then one more zap till done. I do that when I don't have time to cook it in a pan. I'll even prepare all ingredients the night before, place in a bowl, then that morning, it takes 2.5 minutes to cook and you're ready to eat.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    my spinach leaves come from real leaves in the garden, not the bags of baby spinach leaves, those are definitely too small to wrap around the eggs ;)
  • eviltwinkie
    Options
    My lazy way is 3/4 chopped frozen spinich, 1 egg whipped or up to 1/2 c egg beaters, seasoning (whatever sounds good), cheese up to 1/4 c. reduced fat, in a sprayed microwave dish. Nuke 1 minute - stir and check - nuke up to 2 more minutes until done. Have added a teaspoon of bacon bits as well.

Surprisingly good for as easy as it is. Just don't over cook - gets dried out. Fat free cheese doesn't work as well - it needs the oils I think.
  • JLervold86
    JLervold86 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Usually take 3 egg whites and mix them in a bowl with a a handful of chopped fresh spinach, add in some cut up sliced turkey breast (reduced sodium boars head is my favorite). Then I throw them in a pan with some pam, after I flip it I add in some reduced sodium fat free feta cheese and fold over for an omlette. It's delicious!
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Lots of good ideas in here! :)
  • kahyou
    kahyou Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi There,

Get a pan, spray some pam or a tiny bit of olive oil. Place about a cup of spinach and cook it until it is wilted looking. Then pour four egg whites on top off it, proceed an make an:tongue: omelette. Sometimes some hot sauce and salt is pretty good with it. It is a large portion of food for very little calories plus it gives you a serving of protein and vegetables! Good luck!

Kristi
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    It IS!!!

i'm going to try this actually, sounds like the bomb dot com! ;)
  • torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Options
    I'm definitely going to try the zip lok bag method. I'd read about it before and thought it would be a great mess free to make omelets for a crowd, especially kids, without making a mess.