Rationing out calories

Options
How does everyone split up their calories for the day?? I know its alot of personal preference on whether you prefer a bigger breakfast or supper. But Lately I find come supper I am short on calories and end up going over (prob have to adjust what i am eating more to) but I wake up between 5 and 6am depending if i go to the gym or not. Start work at 830. Come 9/9:30 I am starving. I will then sip on coffee all morning and have something to eat which all together for the morning i tend to be between 400&500cals. Lunch is at 1. And tends to be a bit better and only have water for liquid calories. Then end up having a small snack in the afternoon. I work a desk job so its hard not to sit here and snack all day lol Supper is usually around 630 and by then seem to have around 600cals left. Which unless im only having salad or something light seems to cut it short. I am still working on finding the healthiest options. Then if I have a light supper, by 10pm im quite hungry again. Try and load up on water or add apple cider vinegar but looking to see how everyone else distributes their calories through the day so that there never starving at any point.

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I usually have my first meal at around 11-12. I save most of my calories for dinner and my evening drink. I don't usually eat dessert.

Oh, and I only use ACV in my ribs and BBQ sauce.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Get up at 6.15,
    get to work for 7.45
    breakfast at 8.30 (350 cals)
    lunch at 12, (300 cals)
    afternoon snack 3pm 100-300 cals
    finish work at 4, home by 5
    pre workout snack 100-200 cals
    Workout then tea at 7pm 500 -800 cals
    supper if I have the calories left or am hungry.

I also tend to bank calories for the weekend if I have plans
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    distributed over the day (weekdays I am up at 5:30 and go to bed at 10)

roughly:
    breakfast: 300
    Snack: 100-150
    Lunch: 330-350
    Snack: 80
    Dinner: 300-350
    Snack 100-150
    Total is about 1400-1450

on weekends i can often skip two snacks and get a bit more of a fancy dinner.
  • Roseb0107
    Roseb0107 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I usually don’t eat my first meal until 12 in the afternoon. I break my meals up so that they are 400 calories each. Then it leaves room for a snack that’s about 150 calories. On the weekends it’s harder for me and requires more will power so I usually eat a smaller first meal so my next meal can be more calorie dense. In the evenings is when my will power runs out on the weekends but I have enough calories left so it doesn’t hurt me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It completely depends on the day
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    On a lower calorie day (so 2000 or less) I typically eat lighter during the day and heavier at night. I hate being hungry before bed since it affects my sleep, so this works best for me.

Breakfast: 400
    Snack: 150
    Lunch: 200
    Snack: 150
    Dinner: 900
    Snack: 200
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Up at 3:45

Black coffee ~0700 - 5 calories
    Breakfast ~0930 - 350-450 calories
    Lunch ~1300 - 500ish calories
    Afternoon snack ~ 1500- 250-300 calories
    Dinner ~1900 - 700ish calories
    Dessert ~2000 - 200ish calories

Around 2100 calories total. When I'm cutting weight, calorie total is closer to 1800 and I just cut 50-100 calories out of my three main meals.
  • KristaMac88
    KristaMac88 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Looks like my problem is with my breakfast meals, need to find better options to cut down the calories! I have been cutting down on alot and trying to make better changes, though some of the better options like almonds and quinoa instead of rices and stuff still takes away a ton of my daily calories even though i know they are healthy calories. I have been cutting back a ton on alcohol as well and when i do have some drinks on weekends ( got to be honest I usually have more than one and know i am over my calories but use sat nights as a off night/cheat night) but I have been trying to drink very low cal/carb beers or vodka with water and lemon juice or some mix lower in cals. What does everyone chose for alcohol drinks when you do have some drinks?? Im interested to learn what healthier options are out there! (sorry - i know its bad cals but im not looking to cut it out completely/ forever)
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    How does everyone split up their calories for the day?? I know its alot of personal preference on whether you prefer a bigger breakfast or supper. But Lately I find come supper I am short on calories and end up going over (prob have to adjust what i am eating more to) but I wake up between 5 and 6am depending if i go to the gym or not. Start work at 830. Come 9/9:30 I am starving. I will then sip on coffee all morning and have something to eat which all together for the morning i tend to be between 400&500cals. Lunch is at 1. And tends to be a bit better and only have water for liquid calories. Then end up having a small snack in the afternoon. I work a desk job so its hard not to sit here and snack all day lol Supper is usually around 630 and by then seem to have around 600cals left. Which unless im only having salad or something light seems to cut it short. I am still working on finding the healthiest options. Then if I have a light supper, by 10pm im quite hungry again. Try and load up on water or add apple cider vinegar but looking to see how everyone else distributes their calories through the day so that there never starving at any point.

Depends how many calories you're having. My daily goal is 1990 and I usually stay under. Of course if I exercise, that gives me extra calorie allowance for the day.

Yesterday was Breakfast 415, Lunch 791, Dinner 344, Snack 375 = Total 1925
    Previous day was Breakfast 541, Lunch 579, Dinner 273, Snacks 400 = Total 1793
  • dulinh
    dulinh Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I wake up around 5 each day and drink my latte. During the week I follow this pattern:
    Breakfast, 6am, 225-245cal
    AM Snack, 9-10am, 170-200cal
    Lunch, 11-Noon, 400-430cal
    PM Snack, 2-4pm, 160-200cal
    Dinner, 6-7pm, 400-500cal
    Dessert, usually right after dinner, 300cal

I also work at a desk job. I like to add in snacks because I usually get bored. The snack gives me something to look forward to and 'do' while I'm at work.

Weekends are different.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Right now I'm eating between 700-900 for lunch and dinner, and around 400 for breakfast. (that is split up between my actual breakfast before I leave work, and then a protein shake later on in the morning) I don't typically eat snacks. I am going a little over maintenance currently however as I just found out I'm pregnant. When I was trying to eat less, I'd just stick closer to 600-800 on my lunch and dinner.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Looks like my problem is with my breakfast meals, need to find better options to cut down the calories! I have been cutting down on alot and trying to make better changes, though some of the better options like almonds and quinoa instead of rices and stuff still takes away a ton of my daily calories even though i know they are healthy calories. I have been cutting back a ton on alcohol as well and when i do have some drinks on weekends ( got to be honest I usually have more than one and know i am over my calories but use sat nights as a off night/cheat night) but I have been trying to drink very low cal/carb beers or vodka with water and lemon juice or some mix lower in cals. What does everyone chose for alcohol drinks when you do have some drinks?? Im interested to learn what healthier options are out there! (sorry - i know its bad cals but im not looking to cut it out completely/ forever)

I have wine. It is not a calorie wise option, but it is worth the calories to me. You can try to drink your alcohol (spirits) with some sparkling water, or over ice, or a diet drink to save on calories.
  • OHFlamingo
    OHFlamingo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Breakfast and lunch, about 300 each, dinner, about 600. Add more to each, depending on exercise calories. Works for me; might not work for you, as I am retired, and not looking after children, or a boss, all day!
  • KristaMac88
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    Right now I'm eating between 700-900 for lunch and dinner, and around 400 for breakfast. (that is split up between my actual breakfast before I leave work, and then a protein shake later on in the morning) I don't typically eat snacks. I am going a little over maintenance currently however as I just found out I'm pregnant. When I was trying to eat less, I'd just stick closer to 600-800 on my lunch and dinner.

Aww Congrats!!!
  • dulinh
    dulinh Posts: 99 Member
    Options

If I am at home I'll replace my 300 cal dessert with wine - I can have 2 glasses for less than 300 cals (and come out ahead calorie wise). Beer is trickier. I'm from WI and when we go out with friends we drink beer... not the light stuff either. If I can, I'll plan ahead so I stay within my calories. If not, I'll make it up over the next day or two.
  • KristaMac88
    Options

v58xvpqzfewm.png

This has been my go to laitely! :)
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

To me, healthy is relative. And calories are king. I don't eat things high in calories (unless of course I like them) for the sake of perceived healthiness.

For drinks, I usually have tequila (90ish calories a shot) with a diet drink.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I would be interested in knowing what you are eating that 600 calories seems stingy for dinner. 4-6 oz of lean meat, a veg or two with some oil, and a carb should just get you there.
  • KristaMac88
    Options
    I would be interested in knowing what you are eating that 600 calories seems stingy for dinner. 4-6 oz of lean meat, a veg or two with some oil, and a carb should just get you there.

Im sure 600 is actually not. Its me figuring out my correct portion sizes and (husband does the cooking in our house) looking at what he is making before hand and figuring out the nutrition of it all and how much, if any of certain carb food i can actually have..last night for instance we had wraps. I knew the wrap itself would have some carbs/ higher in cals but wasnt to bad. Then had some chicken, cucumber, tomatoe, cheese (put more than i should have for the cals in it) then added leftover quinoa..which has a ton of cals.. then chipotle sauce which was nooott a good choice either. Seemed like a healthy meal..just should have really took the time to look into everything first before eating it thennnnn adding it in here.