Gained weight?

Options
I am a 45 year old woman with back, neck injuries can't exercise much. I started a diet August 28th and as of November 26th lost close to 30 pounds. Very happy with that. Then got on the scale yesterday and was up 3 pounds and today 3 1/2 pounds. What could possibly be going on? I completely stick to watching what I eat and drink lots of water. I consume from 950 to 1,200 calories a day. Mostly between 1,000 and 1,100. Anyone else ever go through this? Checked two scales. Seems like allot to gain in 4 days eating so little.

Replies

• kimgab1
    kimgab1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    i started dieting sept 5 and i have only lost 7 lbs!! i eat 1200 calories or less and exercise 90 minutes 6 days a week. I have gained 2 lbs and it seems like i cant lose those or ANY more weight. I weigh 165 right now. I got done to 163. i want to weigh 140. Why cant i lose weight if i am eating 1200 calories or less and exorcising!!!
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    There are a few things that could be at play here. Your weight fluctuates and weight loss will not always be linear. You will not gain 3-3.5 pounds in a couple days. That would require you to eat 10,000-12,500 calories OVER your maintenance calories. It is likely you are just retaining water. Things that can cause this are your time of the month, increased salt intake, changes in exercise routine.

I had a bit of a freak out moment this morning when I saw that I gained 4 pounds. I just had my wisdom teeth removed so my calories have been even lower the last few days because I can only have soft foods (mostly soup). I expected to see a dip in the scale, but nope! Then, I realized my sodium intake was 2-3x more than usual and I am likely just retaining a lot of water. I know it will come down, I just need to give it a week or 2.
  • bigbandjohn
    bigbandjohn Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I am a 45 year old woman with back, neck injuries can't exercise much. I started a diet August 28th and as of November 26th lost close to 30 pounds. Very happy with that. Then got on the scale yesterday and was up 3 pounds and today 3 1/2 pounds. What could possibly be going on? I completely stick to watching what I eat and drink lots of water. I consume from 950 to 1,200 calories a day. Mostly between 1,000 and 1,100. Anyone else ever go through this? Checked two scales. Seems like allot to gain in 4 days eating so little.

I have had fluctuations like that. Perhaps you are retaining water, or just have a "digestive backup"? Also, I find that every few months I hit the proverbial wall for a couple weeks. May see a bit of rise even when dieting very strictly. It's not unusual.
    kimgab1 wrote: »
    i started dieting sept 5 and i have only lost 7 lbs!! i eat 1200 calories or less and exercise 90 minutes 6 days a week. I have gained 2 lbs and it seems like i cant lose those or ANY more weight. I weigh 165 right now. I got done to 163. i want to weigh 140. Why cant i lose weight if i am eating 1200 calories or less and exorcising!!!

Hate to ask the question but are you measuring everything? Are you using a food scale? On the app what does it say you should be losing eating the calories you are?
  • melissayoungblood
    melissayoungblood Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! Kim I know how you feel! I will keep tugging along and pray for that dip again.
  • melissayoungblood
    Options
    Great articles! Thanks so much!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,419 Member
    Options
    There are a few things that could be at play here. Your weight fluctuates and weight loss will not always be linear. You will not gain 3-3.5 pounds in a couple days. That would require you to eat 10,000-12,500 calories OVER your maintenance calories. It is likely you are just retaining water. Things that can cause this are your time of the month, increased salt intake, changes in exercise routine.

I had a bit of a freak out moment this morning when I saw that I gained 4 pounds. I just had my wisdom teeth removed so my calories have been even lower the last few days because I can only have soft foods (mostly soup). I expected to see a dip in the scale, but nope! Then, I realized my sodium intake was 2-3x more than usual and I am likely just retaining a lot of water. I know it will come down, I just need to give it a week or 2.

This is a side note since you're not OP, but I'd point out that healing (from wisdom tooth removal, say) can also increase water weight temporarily, as can any illness that increases inflammation - even minor illness.
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

This is a side note since you're not OP, but I'd point out that healing (from wisdom tooth removal, say) can also increase water weight temporarily, as can any illness that increases inflammation - even minor illness.

Ah, good point. So many reasons why our body may be retaining water and why the number on the scale one day is just one data point and does not show the whole picture.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    i've bumped up that much overnight and it stayed for a few days then i went back to where i was (and lower). don't make a big deal of it and keep the road.

Note that 1000-1100 calories is below the minimum recommended for women of 1200.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Hate to ask the question but are you measuring everything? Are you using a food scale? On the app what does it say you should be losing eating the calories you are?

^^This, and are you eating exercise calories back?

If you were under eating at such a low level (1200 or less...???) and doing so much exercise the weight would be dropping substantially...and not in a good way.
  • melissayoungblood
    Options
    I've not been able to really exercise from injuries PT once per week, stretching and some walking. I try and get in 1200 but usually between 1000 to 1100. Yes I weigh and measure everything.