Overcoming runner’s knee

Options
I really miss running. I used to go five miles, but now my knee starts hurting at 3/4 mile. I’m stretching and working to strengthen my legs through training. But is there anything else I can try?

Replies

• LadyMcLeod08
    LadyMcLeod08 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, rest is likely the answer. If it's tendon pain, it has to heal, and tendons are not vascular, so they heal slowly. I feel your pain, figuratively and literally! I thought of maybe swimming for while, for full body cardio, but need to find an indoor pool during the winter.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    runner's knee is also a very vague diagnosis - to many runners its the dr saying you have an issue but i don't know what it is

have they do a MRI to determine if you have a tear? have you gotten a referral for physical therapy?
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Yep. Gotta talk to the professionals. (Maybe you already have...)

In the meantime: Do other leg exercises if you can (Elliptical, cycling, etc.) or take up swimming. (Or acqua-jog.)
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    My knees were killing me until I went to a running store and was fitted for proper shoes.
  • wanderingarcher
    wanderingarcher Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Yeah. My doctor sounded vague. Said stretch and new shoes and rest.
    I’m swimming a mile 1-2x/week and biking and hiking and doing a killer circuit training class, along with my calisthenics.
    I just miss running. Especially trail running.
    I’ll keep “resting” though...

Thanks
  • wanderingarcher
    Options
    runner's knee is also a very vague diagnosis - to many runners its the dr saying you have an issue but i don't know what it is

have they do a MRI to determine if you have a tear? have you gotten a referral for physical therapy?
    If it keeps up longer than a few months, I’ll push for more help. Thanks
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

If it keeps up longer than a few months, I’ll push for more help. Thanks

Can you see a physio?
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I’m swimming a mile 1-2x/week and biking and hiking and doing a killer circuit training class, along with my calisthenics.
    Thanks

Doctors don't always have the right training to help with these issues (they are trained to keep you alive, not make you thrive). PTs and trainers can be more helpful with sports-related problems.

I am no longer really a beginner and it appears neither are you. Nonetheless, I also found this article very helpful:

https://www.runnersworld.com/beginner/a20780292/the-six-best-exercises-for-new-runners/
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Thanks

Or get a referral to a sports medicine clinic, most GPs are pretty clueless when it comes to sports related injuries.

• wanderingarcher
    Options
    Thank you all so much!
    It’s actually been getting worse, and I’m glad for the advice. I’ll get on it.
    I’m a dancer too, and I really don’t want to cut that part of my life short over something treatable.
  • RhiAnLewis17
    RhiAnLewis17 Posts: 2,299 Member
    Options
    I always found that running on a treadmill and doing lunges exacerbated my symptoms.

And also plyometrics... High impact stuff in general.
  • kimkimcoleman
    kimkimcoleman Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I use a foam roller down the outside of my thighs. It hurts but it does help with the IT band.
  • wanderingarcher
    Options
    I use a foam roller down the outside of my thighs. It hurts but it does help with the IT band.
    Thanks
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

The problem with random suggestions like this is, in the absence of any real knowledge of the problem foam rolling the ITB could exacerbate the problem. At the very least it contributes to longer term issues with knee stability.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    My experience is that, unless you actively treat the condition and the underlying mechanics, just “resting” will only delay your full recovery.

The site below provides one of the better treatment frameworks that I have seen for someone to try themselves. These are good basic exercises, so even if they don’t work 100%, they won’t hurt you you.

You can search for other exercises under “runners knee exercises” or “patellofemoral treatment”, but you have to be careful to get current info. Previously it was thought that runners knee was caused by weak quads, but now the feeling is that it is more weak glutes.

Whatever you do, I would recommend being more proactive. I have rarely seen running knee pain resolve itself with just rest and stretching.

https://runnersconnect.net/runners-knee-symptoms-causes-and-research-backed-treatment-solutions-for-patellofemoral-pain-syndrome/

interesting post. both my legs gave up on me at the end of august. suddenly i would get pain in both legs around the knees and up and down the legs (it was super random). Even when i walk. i haven't run since.

I've seen two physios and a chiro and an RMT. The physios were pretty useless to be honest, mostly just "rest". One had me try hip stretches as my range of motion was limited but 5 weeks and no improvement (and the stretches are not super comfortable. The chiro is doing Active Release which seems to help. But i am anxious overall. I may get an xray (not sure i will be able to get an MRI but i can mention it).
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »
    Azdak wrote: »
    My experience is that, unless you actively treat the condition and the underlying mechanics, just “resting” will only delay your full recovery.

The site below provides one of the better treatment frameworks that I have seen for someone to try themselves. These are good basic exercises, so even if they don’t work 100%, they won’t hurt you you.

You can search for other exercises under “runners knee exercises” or “patellofemoral treatment”, but you have to be careful to get current info. Previously it was thought that runners knee was caused by weak quads, but now the feeling is that it is more weak glutes.

Whatever you do, I would recommend being more proactive. I have rarely seen running knee pain resolve itself with just rest and stretching.

https://runnersconnect.net/runners-knee-symptoms-causes-and-research-backed-treatment-solutions-for-patellofemoral-pain-syndrome/

interesting post. both my legs gave up on me at the end of august. suddenly i would get pain in both legs around the knees and up and down the legs (it was super random). Even when i walk. i haven't run since.

I've seen two physios and a chiro and an RMT. The physios were pretty useless to be honest, mostly just "rest". One had me try hip stretches as my range of motion was limited but 5 weeks and no improvement (and the stretches are not super comfortable. The chiro is doing Active Release which seems to help. But i am anxious overall. I may get an xray (not sure i will be able to get an MRI but i can mention it).

My comments were restricted to patellofemoral pain, since that is the usual cause of “runners knee”. Just wanted to point out that I am not sure they are as relevant to the symptoms you describe. I know it can be frustrating to have limiting pain and not be able to determine an immediate cause.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Post on a local (your community) runners forum (on Facebook or similar) and ask for physiotherapist recommendations. Not every physiotherapist is going to be a good fit. You want one experienced with treating runners.