Lost a % of body fat while bulking. How? I don’t know.

Options
Ray102018
Ray102018 Posts: 11 Member
Hey guys.

So let me just get straight to the point.
Its been a month and a half since I’ve been a part of a weight training program.
Just 2 weeks ago I got my BMR tested. According to the reading my body fat % was 7.5. BMR= 1439. TDEE= 2216. So after going through these, I started consuming 2500 calories per day for a growth. Just yesterday, I got my BMR tested again and I was surprised. After consuming 2500 calories for 2 weeks, hitting the gym consistently 6 days a week. My body fat % dropped by a %. Currently I hold 6.5% of body fat and I don’t know how. I mean it’s common sense that when you eat in a caloric surplus, you do gain some fat. But here, I lost a %. Though my recent reading show that I’ve a gained a kilo of muscle weight. (LBM 2 weeks ago)=48.1 (LBM now)= 49.2. And (SLM 2 weeks ago)= 45.0 and (SLM now)= 46.1.
-LBM Lean Body Mass.
-SLM Soft Lean Mass.

After discovering these results, I’ve upped my daily calorie intake by 200. So now I’m planning to consume 2700 calories for a change.

So I just wanted to know if this is normal. Loosing body fat on a caloric surplus and consistent training.
Because now, I’m a bit worried. Just can’t find a way to figure this out. 29emr4z4s2q0.png - 2 weeks ago.

r07ik77pmzs7.jpeg - Recent.

Here are my reports. You could just refer to these and pass on a few suggestions.

Thanks! 🤗

Replies

• jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Your new to training. This is called newbie gains. Enjoy it while it lasts
  • Ray102018
    Options
    jdog022 wrote: »

Enjoy it while it lasts..
    What do you mean bruv..
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    The testing isn't that accurate. You are most likely pretty close to the range where you started.
  • jdog022
    Options
    Ray102018 wrote: »

What do you mean bruv..

People who are new to training can both gain muscle and lose fat at the same time at an amazing rate. As you progress you will no longer be able to do this. Every one is different but maybe 6 months or less. After that , depending on your goals, your choices are bulk/cut cycles or recomp. I’m assuming your goal is to add muscle and lose fat. And Yes recomp is gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time but it’s at an incredibly slow rate that I personally don’t have patience for.
  • Ray102018
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    The testing isn't that accurate. You are most likely pretty close to the range where you started.

That’s what I thought. Because now, eating in a caloric surplus, I do feel like I’ve gained some amount of fat. Because there was a time I could count my ribs, but now they are slightly less visible. And I do feel a bit heavy. So yeah..
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How much difference were you expecting in 2 weeks?

I would agree with inaccuracy of the test
  • Ray102018
    edited November 2018
    Options

Just wanted to check my fat%.
    Just wanted to make sure if I was gaining an equal amount of muscle with fat with my current diet.
  • jdog022
    Options
    Interested to hear why my post is woo. Let’s hear it
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited November 2018
    Options

What do you mean bruv..

People who are new to training can both gain muscle and lose fat at the same time at an amazing rate. As you progress you will no longer be able to do this. Every one is different but maybe 6 months or less. After that , depending on your goals, your choices are bulk/cut cycles or recomp. I’m assuming your goal is to add muscle and lose fat. And Yes recomp is gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time but it’s at an incredibly slow rate that I personally don’t have patience for.

There is evidence of people who have been lifting for near a decade gaining muscle in a deficit. Its just less likely as you get older in training age. But in general newbie gains can last longer than 6 months. It can last even a few years.

Op, like others have said, there is room for error in all these test. I would largely look at trends over time to see the impact.
  • RhiAnLewis17
    RhiAnLewis17 Posts: 2,299 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't you woo newbie gains if you're a newbie!
  • jdog022
    Options
    Woo means the post is nonsense not exciting
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Woo means the post is nonsense not exciting

Now its a non issue. B)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

Just wanted to make sure if I was gaining an equal amount of muscle with fat with my current diet.

you wont gain an equal amount of fat and muscle. its not a 1:1 ratio
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options

Can you clarify what you mean? The ratio of muscle fat is dependent on the training programing and size of the surplus. It is conceivable that a person bulking under certain conditions could achieve an approximation of a 1:1 ratio of muscle to fat.

Of course shy of an autopsy, no one ever really knows the exact ratio. But some technologies can give a reasonable estimation.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

You can't be so prescriptive, there are very few absolutes in this game - individual results are very varied.
    If you see the latest progress pictures from this awesome thread you will see he has pulled off the unusual trick of getting leaner while getting bigger.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10348650/cico-still-skeptical-come-inside-for-a-meticulous-log-that-proves-it#latest
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    OP - what type of body composition test did you do?

For example I have free use of a commercial grade BIA at my gym and generally it gives a believable number and trend.
    But recently I had a weird spike which gave me a 4lb muscle gain in a week which is clearly nonsensical.
    Just like the following week which showed me losing 4lbs of muscle....
  • bisonpitcher
    bisonpitcher Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

That’s what I thought. Because now, eating in a caloric surplus, I do feel like I’ve gained some amount of fat. Because there was a time I could count my ribs, but now they are slightly less visible. And I do feel a bit heavy. So yeah..

116 lbs. is pretty thin even at 5'5"
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Room for error in the tests also, if you gain more muscle than fat your BF% will go down. IE you gain 5 lbs. 4 lbs of muscle, 1 lb of fat you have more fat, but your % is lower.