Do you count calories / log MFP on vacations?

Options
I am going on a 10 day trip, and I really don't want it to throw me off track. Pretty sure we'll do a lot of walking but also quite a bit of eating... I have never been able to log during vacation - I'm only able to do that when I'm in my regular routine and eat most of my meals at home (where I know for sure what goes in...). Should I just let go for a while (trying to eat responsibly)? Any advice will be appreciated.

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I don't log on vacation.
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I log when it's a short vacation, but for a 10-day trip, I don't. I think I probably should, but I end up stopping after the third day. Long vacations usually involve a flight somewhere in a different time zone and I'm super bloated so my weight is all wonky. I'm still mindful of what I eat and I'm still mentally adding up my calories.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I don't.

I did once this year, just to see, and ended up at maintenance as while there was loads of food, there was loads of walking too!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    no. too much of a hassle, being that none of the food has their nutritional information available.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I do, but I am still in the losing weight category. Maybe if I was on a break or maintaining I would feel different. I will log via my I-phone. I think one of these there is no one correct answer items. Only you know how much you might go off course if you do not log at all.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I watch my portion sizes and keep an idea on how much I'm having throughout the day while still enjoying myself. But, I also don't do much on vacation and my idea of a good time is plopping my bum on the beach for a week and nothing else.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I do, just because I'm obsessed with it. My day is not complete unless I log!
  • nickb2124
    nickb2124 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you do log, how would you go about it? It is so complicated to figure out the nutritional value of outside food... at home it feels like having a rough estimate of a meal a couple of times a week is ok, but when on vacation, it feels that my estimate for a day can easily be 1.5X-2X wrong.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,327 Member
    Options
    I still log, but I don't use a scale. If it's just a week or so, I am still pretty good at estimating.

I was just on a week trip as part of a life celebration, so there was lots of food. I just make a close guess as to what I ate and how much. It helps, and I also think it helps me look at my history over time. There was one banquet (cocktails, appetizers, wine, food, more food, dessert....) I just made a totally SWAG for calories and made up a recipe that was protein, fat, and carbs to get to that amount of calories. Was it accurate? Maybe. Maybe not. Certainly more accurate than logging a zero (not logging).

When I'm on a multi-day dive trip or river trip, I log even LOOSER. I made a recipe I call "Rafter Rations" and another I call "Diver Rations." They are a HUGE amount of calories just allocated across fat, protein, and carbs. I just log that IN ADVANCE for one of my meals each day I'm going to be gone. Then I eat whatever the walrus I want. Tri-tip? You bet! Bacon, eggs, and hash browns? Yes please. And more bacon. Gravy on the potatoes? Uh-huh! But on those trips I'm also very active.

It works for me; whatever works for you... works for YOU!
  • krael65
    krael65 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I take a 2 week vacation every year. I don't log, but I do stay mindful about what I am eating. For me, vacation means lots of walking, a little bit more "fun food" than I normally eat, and extra beer/wine. We stay in a beach house, buy our groceries, and rarely eat at restaurants, so it's fairly easy to control what I eat. I tend to maintain my weight while on vacation. I think it helps me to go into it with the mindset that I'm not going to go completely off the rails.

If I'm on a mini-vacation like a girl's weekend, I don't limit food/drinks, and don't log or track at all.

Either way, it does not make a significant difference in my weight (once all the water weight settles down and I go back to my normal routine).
  • lesdarts180
    lesdarts180 Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I'm on holiday right now and I am logging as best I can. I don't worry about nutrients, just try to get some idea of calories. I allow myself a higher calorie allowance than usual and I am fairly active. I find I can estimate portion sizes roughly. I don't count stuff like lettuce and I'm careful with dessert and drinks. It helps me to keep track of things.
    However, I'm retired and I have a lot of holidays so I would find it really difficult to lose weight if I didn't try to stay on track.
    As others have said, find what works for you.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i do my best to log. but i don't scrimp on calories
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I don't. I vaguely aim to keep an eye on portions.

I actually find that often I do less snacking between meals, and also after a couple of days of indulgence I am ready to find "normal" food again.

My last holiday I had a big jump on the scales when I got home (water weight mostly), then went back to my normal routine gladly.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I log but I don't stress about anything and I usually try to stay within my maintainance calories.

It seems to help me see why I went up or down on the scale i.e. too much alcohol - I'm dehydrated or sodium filled dinners - I'm probably retaining water.

It also seems to help recalabrate my eyeballing calories/portions.

BUT I don't normally stress about calories so if this stresses you then I'd let it go, vacation is about fun & relaxation.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I don’t log on vacation. I’m mindful of what I eat and try to pick healthy options. Usually, I’m so active on vacations that I end up losing weight even without counting calories at all.