Judgmental People

Options
I am a college student struggling with weight issues. In the morning, I generally eat oatmeal and 6 egg whites (from a hard boiled egg) in the dining hall. I don't eat the yolk. Each morning, I generally take 6 eggs, but like I said, I only eat the whites. One of the workers always stares me down every morning when I approach the line where the breakfast food is. I look up and just see him staring at me with a flat affect. I get embarrassed. Should I say something? What is your opinion?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Have you spoken to him? Maybe he likes you. Maybe he thinks that is what he does with his eggs too. A kindred spirit, so to speak.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,464 Member
    Options
    Odd things I found about weight loss. One is, I had to become more assertive to do it.
    This isn’t a point in favor of speaking up. It’s a point in favor of doing what you think you need to do for you without feeling obliged to explain it to others.

I agree that you shouldn’t assume you know what he’s thinking. But what he thinks doesn’t count. I don’t agree that it matters if you’re “wasting” the yokes either. I frequently do the same thing you do. I’m not eating the yoke to suit someone else’s fancy. You don’t have to clean your plate.

Another thing I’ve found is the less I discuss my plan or even weight loss in general, the better off I am. We’re better off on message boards.

Do your plan. It’s nobody’s business but your own.
  • competeagain4x
    competeagain4x Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    sunsweet77 wrote: »
    Lose the “noise” in your life. One of those things is worrying less about others opinions. It will all get much easier when you do. The lions don’t worry about what the sheep think.

Yes
    Ignore the noise
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    Lose the “noise” in your life. One of those things is worrying less about others opinions. It will all get much easier when you do. The lions don’t worry about what the sheep think.

I love this! I need to apply it to all areas of my life. 🐯
  • tinovillaro
    tinovillaro Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Be like water off a ducks back.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    Allie1618 wrote: »
    You could smile and say “good morning, how are you?” Then go about your day. Repeat. Daily. You may be pleasantly surprised at the response you get.

This. You have no idea what that person is thinking about.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Exactly.

OP, in time you will find that life is much easier, more pleasant, when you worry less about what others think when you're talking about people who have no affect on you.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,471 Member
    Options
    It's probably not typical to take 6 eggs. So maybe it's a curiosity thing. Let me assure you in the workplace when you carry in prepped meals, you will get some funny looks too. It doesn't end once you leave school.

OR...and this is my personal opinion...he's bored AF at his job and is just staring with flat effect in general, zoning out. Do you think working in a college caf is a super-exciting, thrilling, pulse-racing, white-knuckle, edge-of-your-seat job? I don't think so. Dude is probably bored out of his mind & mentally on another planet. He may be looking right at you and not even really see you. He's thinking about the fight with his girlfriend last night, bills that are due, going out with his buddies to watch the game later, that hot chick he always sees at the gas station but can't work up the sand to talk to, blah blah blah...not necessarily about you & your dietary choices.

Regardless, good on you for making healthy choices at college. You keep on doin' you!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    JBanx256 wrote: »
    It's probably not typical to take 6 eggs. So maybe it's a curiosity thing. Let me assure you in the workplace when you carry in prepped meals, you will get some funny looks too. It doesn't end once you leave school.

OR...and this is my personal opinion...he's bored AF at his job and is just staring with flat effect in general, zoning out. Do you think working in a college caf is a super-exciting, thrilling, pulse-racing, white-knuckle, edge-of-your-seat job? I don't think so. Dude is probably bored out of his mind & mentally on another planet. He may be looking right at you and not even really see you. He's thinking about the fight with his girlfriend last night, bills that are due, going out with his buddies to watch the game later, that hot chick he always sees at the gas station but can't work up the sand to talk to, blah blah blah...not necessarily about you & your dietary choices.

Regardless, good on you for making healthy choices at college. You keep on doin' you!

Yep.

If there's one Thing I've learned it's that people aren't even thinking about me. It's not about me at all.
  • Keep_on_cardio
    Keep_on_cardio Posts: 4,166 Member
    Options
    If someone was staring at me, I’d smile and possibly take a bite at the same time. Then walk back and eat my food. I wouldn’t say anything, unless they say something to you.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I am the type of person who would say to him, "Hi! So, I eat a lot of eggs every day, is that really weird?" and see what his reaction was. In my experience, one of the following would happen:

- he would say "yes I noticed you do eat a lot of eggs. Why don't you eat the yolks?"
    - he would say "OH NO it's fine, fine, fine..." and seem really embarrassed in the future if he saw you.
    - he would say something confrontational and it would be out in the open and you could say to him, "Well, I'm not aware there are egg limits" and it would probably end right there.

I just really like things out in the open. I guess you could say I'm pretty confrontational but I try to approach it with humor. Some might think it's passive aggressive too, but I don't like things unsaid.
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    Odd things I found about weight loss. One is, I had to become more assertive to do it.
    This isn’t a point in favor of speaking up. It’s a point in favor of doing what you think you need to do for you without feeling obliged to explain it to others.

I agree that you shouldn’t assume you know what he’s thinking. But what he thinks doesn’t count. I don’t agree that it matters if you’re “wasting” the yokes either. I frequently do the same thing you do. I’m not eating the yoke to suit someone else’s fancy. You don’t have to clean your plate.

Another thing I’ve found is the less I discuss my plan or even weight loss in general, the better off I am. We’re better off on message boards.

Do your plan. It’s nobody’s business but your own.

Some people really hate seeing food going to waste. To them seeing 6 yolks going to waste almost daily is too much. That's the only reason why I mentioned it as a possible reason. I personally don't care; I used to waste a lot of yolks myself when I ate eggs.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    When I was in school, I had a meal card and could eat all I wanted, there was no portion control or rules and restraints. It was open cafeteria. If that is the case with your meal plan, the guy or girl behind the counter is simply a worker and has no power over you or how much food you eat or waste.
    You paid for your meal plan and if you eat six egg whites that is your business and you can't let some worker behind the counter intimidate you. Smile..get your eggs and keep moving.. he has to deal with it.
    Part of losing weight is empowering yourself not only with food choices but claiming your space and self respect. Don't let random people dictate your day.