do you eat back the calories you burn during exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• jesstiger81
    jesstiger81 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I FINALLY get this!!! I was totally clueless but the way starstruck explained it really made it make sense to me. I definitely don't want my body to think I've only had less than 1000 calories in a day, so I am going to start with two weeks of eating as many of those calories back as possible. If the scale is moving and moving, then I need to keep doing that. If it isn't, then maybe I will try eating 3/4 of them back, then 1/2, etc. until I find what is working.

I am already worried that I overestimate my calories burned, so I think I need to tone it down.
  • rainbowbrite98
    Options
    I completely agree that I feel like I'm overestimating my calories burned. I feel like what I did and the calories burned do NOT match up after the way I feel after I completed the work out. I feel like to burn 350 calories, you'd have to work your BUTT off for hours...but according to the internet, I burn that on the Gazelle I have in 30-35 minutes...
  • TERESAGBS
    TERESAGBS Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I agree with this post....eat them back, at least most of them.
  • TERESAGBS
    TERESAGBS Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i am doing well, eating a lot of vegetables, french green beans from Sam's are great frozen beans & not expensive; Egg beaters or regular eggs if not watching cholesterol, Whole wheat stuff, bread, cereal, rice, pasta etc... to a minimum; This calorie counter is great cause it tells you everything you need to know & you can customize your columns (protein, carbs, sugar, sodium, etc...) with your own concerns. I have lost 13 lbs and feel great. Exercising a lot more now & that also makes you feel good. Hard to do but well worth it!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Just wondering....some say yes some say no! I am confused.
    I have a limite of 1200 calories a day most days I dont even eat all 1200.
    If I burn 500 calories during exercise does that mean for the day I need to eat
    1700 caloies?

It depends on your goals.

If you want to be physically fit- eat them.
    If you want to be scraggy - don't eat them.
  • pjfmaui73
    pjfmaui73 Posts: 408
    Options
    A lot of people get so heated about this question LOL. Some people are very adamant about always eating their exercise calories. Some people occasionally eat their calories back. Others never do.

You sort of just have to go through a trial and error period to see what works best for YOUR body. No point in people getting so uptight over this "controversial" topic.
    Agreed, it works differently for everyone so try it both ways and see what happens. I tend to vary my intake each day so my answer would be yes & no. Good luck finding that balance! :bigsmile:

I agree with both of these posts & I usually eat back some of it, but not usually all of it...just look at it long term...some days you eat more than others & it always balances out in the end...some people do zig zag...you could search that & see what you think...I wish you the best!
  • mlworthington
    mlworthington Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for all of the great posts. This has also been something I struggle with. Maybe I didnt give it long enough when I decided to eat at least some of my exercise calories. I have found it very strange tho that on the days I exercise, I dont loose any weight. Going to give it another try for a week or so and see what happens.:drinker: