Bad Foods That Aren’t As Bad As You Think?

Options
Pizza? Tell Why or why not. Share the food you want to know about!

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    In what context?

For someone with a nut allergy, peanuts could be a "bad" food. For me, they are just fine.

A couple slices of pizza? That's usually OK for me within the bigger picture of my diet as a whole. An entire large pizza... not so good.

French fries are, for me, a bad food. Even if I make them fit into my diet, they tend to cause cravings and trigger other bad habits/responses. So for me they are usually a "no". For others, they can be perfectly fine.

Good food vs bad food is a nearly impossible conversation to have, especially online. There is virtually no end to the types of preferences, responses, plans, approaches, etc to specific foods.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    In what context?

For someone with a nut allergy, peanuts could be a "bad" food. For me, they are just fine.

A couple slices of pizza? That's usually OK for me within the bigger picture of my diet as a whole. An entire large pizza... not so good.

French fries are, for me, a bad food. Even if I make them fit into my diet, they tend to cause cravings and trigger other bad habits/responses. So for me they are usually a "no". For others, they can be perfectly fine.

Vegetables, whole grains and oils are bad for me as I am on a low fiber, low fat diet for medical issues.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    All of them! All food is good, unless you're allergic or it's rancid...
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Since I don't have any food allergies/intolerances, the only "bad" foods for me are foods I don't like or foods which have spoiled. Everything else is just a matter of context and dosage within my diet.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand the question.
  • bigbandjohn
    bigbandjohn Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Understanding what was being looked for. Fettuccine Alfredo. It is actually good for you. There's a good story about it on "Food: Fact or Fiction" that tells the history. Check it out.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I don't see the point of grouping foods into "bad foods" and "good foods."

I like pizza, and think it can be more or less caloric and more or less nutrient-dense. It depends on how it is made (rather like the difference between different pasta meals).
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Bread, sauce, cheese, veggies, meats.....nothing unhealthy about pizza....or any food for that matter
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Bad Foods That Aren’t As Bad As You Think?

I don't really think of any food as bad unless it tastes bad or makes me sick.
    That means cilantro is bad because it tastes like soap to me. Licorace is bad because I dislike the taste. Pineapple is bad because I have an allergic reaction. Creamed corn is bad because of the appearance and texture.
  • Allie1618
    Allie1618 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Diablo Sauce
    Devils food cake
    Seven Deadly Zins
    Ghost Peppers

Attempting to be bad but I still like them... except the peppers!
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    Frozen French fries. You can have a great deal of them for 110 calories, which fits into my day nicely. Ore Ida Steak Fries are only 80 calories for 7 pieces. So when someone tells you fries aren't good for you, don't listen to them ;)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Hydrogenated vegetable oils are probably bad. I'm sure I occasionally (very occasionally) eat some, but don't worry about it too much. Most foods I enjoy don't contain them.

Other than that, I agree with those saying it doesn't make sense to classify individual foods as "good" and "bad".

An overall way of eating can be pretty good, or definitely sub-optimal, but my choices about individual foods are about how well they fit into my overall balance of calorie management, nutrition, tastiness, social connection, and personal health considerations.

There are days when triple-cream brie would be a bad choice (if I'm already short on protein but long on fats/calories), and others when it would be a great choice (if fats so far on the low side, plenty of calories available . . . and dang, that stuff is tasty!). An 11% ABV craft beer would be a bad plan if I don't have my nutritional boxes checked, but fine if I do (and have a designated driver). I like a Tootsie caramel apple sucker if I need a little quick-carb burst before a workout, but otherwise might make a different choice.

Like that smart guy up above said, context and dosage.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    There are several foods that are bad for me. Wheat, barley, (most) oats, and rye because I have celiac disease. Also any foods that come in contact with those grains. Several raw vegetables and nuts due to IBS. Processed soy like tofu due to an intolerance.

All of these foods are just fine for other people.

Saying that, I still take the hit and eat nuts and some of those raw veggies when I simply have to have them.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Pizza is just food. No food is “bad” - overeating/binging is bad, eating habits can be good or bad. Food is just food.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    I do not believe in bad foods. Some are more nutrient dense than others but even so called empty calorie foods still have nutrients.

Pizza seems to always be the target of the "bad foods" label but really, it has fat, protein and carbs and can come in a wide variety of calories. I have sought it out to hit my targets plenty of times. Same goes for ice cream, the other convenient target.

^^^^^^^
    This for me.
  • katphi1618
    katphi1618 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I think I get what you're saying. Bacon for instance gets a bad reputation due to the amount of fat however what most people don't know is it's 54% monounsaturated fat which is the good fat like olive oil.