Who do you Tip for the Holidays?

Options
13»

Replies

• 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I am super confused by people tipping their dentist/doctor.
    Is this a custom for countries outside the US (which may make sense)?
    Or are people in the US tipping their dentists and doctors? I don't get it.

Both my dentist and my doctor have been with my family for over 25 years, and I see them several times a year. A card is the least I can do to thank them for their work!

So I guess they're almost like a family friend? That would make sense I suppose.

Sorry this is just a completely new concept to me and I'd never heard of it until this thread.

My husband and I go to the same GP and have for 5-6 years but we only see him once a year, twice at most, and generally deal with the NP for minor illnesses. I have a new women's doc just about every time I get a wellness check because of health system changes. I'm very loyal to my dentist, and like him a lot as a person, but at the rates the office charges I'm out quite a lot of money per year even after my insurance kicks in - so not inclined to tip him jack squat. haha

I'm like this @MedSpa when I do go. They charge so much for feel good fixes, I don't need to remember my technicians over the holidays, more than the tip given upon treatment. Most of the time, I prefer to attend to it myself.

* My dentist for example ... I cannot thank her enough every single time I catch a glimpse of my teeth. Note, I didn't commit the dental hygienist - she gnaws on my last nerve. Always in a mood.

* Our GP saved our lives last year most especially. He deserves sooooo much more than he charges.

For the asterisked 2, normatively, I would let my mother send the appreciation cheques... Not this year.
  • go_cubs
    go_cubs Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    go_cubs wrote: »
    * Our drivers
    * Garbage collectors
    * Neighborhood paper route boy
    * Family banker, lawyer, GP & Dentist.
    * Favorite channels on YT

Baked goods baskets:

* Every home on our street. (Thanks to our neighbourhood Halloween listings, we know which homes have dietary restrictions & allergies).
    * Mail person ( they change all the time).
    * Neighbourhood security.
    * Pastors
    * Church friends.

I was like ok ladyyyy lol

My normal isn't your normal ... Lol

Haha this is funny
    I guess so!
  • kindalikevelma
    kindalikevelma Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I just started using a cleaning lady this year and plan on giving her and her son Christmas gifts/cards.

I will also give a gift to my nanny and dog sitter.
  • Renaissance_Turtle
    Renaissance_Turtle Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    my sanity starts to tip. does that count?

Mine too bro. Right about 12:01 AM onNovember 1st when all the extra special folks start playing Christmas music...
  • bojack5
    bojack5 Posts: 2,859 Member
    Options
    Tipping to me has to do with quality of service. I’m not saying I don’t tip, but not out of obligation. I tip when and how much I please depending on the service I’ve received. Purhaps that’s wrong but I feel a tip is a sign of gratitude and shouldn’t be done out of guilt or obligation. In regards to the holidays, I give a small gift to those I feel deserved it. Such as my children’s teachers. I don’t per say tip them rather I look at it as a small token of gratitude for the time they invested into my children.

I always found it unfair that price of meal dictates size of tips most times. A $300 dinner at a nice place and a $30 dinner at a diner may take the same amount of work for the waiter or waitress, but the tip will be vastly different.