Strength vs cardio how many time a week

Options
Hello all, I'm back on my weightloss journey and have been able to commit so I know I'm mentally ready. I've lost weight before, became a mom all went down hill. The first time around I'll I did was walk, it's all I really could do. Later I incorporate a workout video that does strength. My question is can I get away with cardio for a month or two? Or should I really incorporate strength? My goal is to be helpful and get my old butt back ( lol) but now being older and with a different life I feel like it won't be the same . What do you do and why? What are your thoughts and any advice? Any recommendations on strength training to a person that doesn't know much about weights. TIA

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    As much as I love strength training and think it is extremely important, I do think it's fine to add it after a month. I started off as a completely sedentary and out of shape person. I only focused on food intake the first month, added walking the next month, and added strength in the third if I remember right. In the grand scheme of my fitness life, I truly don't think that a 2-3 month delay hurt me.
  • sandyy0605
    sandyy0605 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    As much as I love strength training and think it is extremely important, I do think it's fine to add it after a month. I started off as a completely sedentary and out of shape person. I only focused on food intake the first month, added walking the next month, and added strength in the third if I remember right. In the grand scheme of my fitness life, I truly don't think that a 2-3 month delay hurt me.
    Thank you for your insight. I’m in the same boat as your were. I’ve been dedicated to exercising but I know that I’m really out of shape. I’ll will try thAt thank you

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    "Strength vs cardio how many time a week"
    Depends on your goals, your capabilities and also what you will enjoy (or be prepared to endure).

Yes a combination or blend of strength/resistance and cardio exercise is probably optimal for most but you do have to factor in what you will actually stick to. Building up steadily and progressively makes perfect sense especially if you are out of shape. Many people that try to go from zero to hero overnight burn out and give up.

BTW - not all cardio is the same, if you choose cardio with a larger resistance element (rowing, cycling, swimming as examples) you get a bit of both.

Using bodyweight exercises might be a nice way to ease in to weight/strength/resistance training.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    sandyy0605 wrote: »
    Hello all, I'm back on my weightloss journey and have been able to commit so I know I'm mentally ready. I've lost weight before, became a mom all went down hill. The first time around I'll I did was walk, it's all I really could do. Later I incorporate a workout video that does strength. My question is can I get away with cardio for a month or two? Or should I really incorporate strength? My goal is to be helpful and get my old butt back ( lol) but now being older and with a different life I feel like it won't be the same . What do you do and why? What are your thoughts and any advice? Any recommendations on strength training to a person that doesn't know much about weights. TIA

i do strength training 2 x a week, and cardio 4/5 times.

I'm a runner, so the cardio is my priority, but the strength training helps keep me injury free, and has done more to help me lose the wobbly bits than the miles and miles of running.

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    "Strength vs cardio how many time a week"
    Depends on your goals, your capabilities and also what you will enjoy (or be prepared to endure).

Yes a combination or blend of strength/resistance and cardio exercise is probably optimal for most but you do have to factor in what you will actually stick to. Building up steadily and progressively makes perfect sense especially if you are out of shape. Many people that try to go from zero to hero overnight burn out and give up.

BTW - not all cardio is the same, if you choose cardio with a larger resistance element (rowing, cycling, swimming as examples) you get a bit of both.

Using bodyweight exercises might be a nice way to ease in to weight/strength/resistance training.

I agree with all of this.

As for what I do and why...
    Cardio I do because I enjoy it... probably 3-4 times per week.
    I lift because it's good for me. Even though I don't like it, it gives results nothing else does. So I frown and bear it. 2-3 times per week.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    What do you mean “can I get away with only cardio for a month or two”?
    Can you lose weight With only cardio? Yes, if you are eating in a calorie deficit.
    Can you gain strength with only cardio? Not much.
    Will you retain muscle mass with only cardio? Not really.
    I don’t know your age, but strength training is so important as we get older. To me the sooner you start, the better. I started strength training from day 1 and alternated days of walking. And yes, you need to pace yourself and ramp up gradually.
    If you’re consistent for, say, 5 years, it won’t matter a lot whether you start now or in 2 months.
    I just always have a knee jerk reaction when people try to rationalize NOT strength training.
  • jonjaxmom
    jonjaxmom Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Im 50, and strength training has been really vital in getting thru plateaus. I workout 4-5 days a week. I do half hour of HIIT workouts (weights, etc) and then I do another half hour of cardio. Good luck do what fits best for you and your journey!
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    recommendations was 2 hr 30 mins of cardio week and 2 strength workouts...yoga was included as one of the strength workouts. Glad you are getting back.
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I work out 4 times a week, each workout has about 20 mins of cardio and 25mins of strength training. My calorie deficit is still the hardest thing for me on my journey, I like to workout so it's an extra bonus.
  • jwsfzr600
    jwsfzr600 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I changed one thing in my life at a time. First I started cardio. Then after that I worked on my dietary habits and then I started strength training. I also made small goals for myself 5 pounds at a time. It’s been just over 6 months and It’s working for me.
  • JDMac82
    JDMac82 Posts: 3,192 Member
    Options
    Alternate them 3 days cardio 2 strength one week and opposite the next. Depending on what type of workout plan you are following.