Getting Started... AGAIN. Need some motivation! 100+ lbs to lose

Options
SilverLuma
SilverLuma Posts: 46 Member
edited December 2018 in Motivation and Support
Needing some inspiration/motivation. As with many people, I have struggled with weight my whole life. It feels like every time I attempt to lose weight, I'm successful, but then it can't be maintained longer than about a year and I gain it back PLUS some. It's very discouraging and makes me feel like if I try again, it's not going to be worth it.

The last time I lost a significant amount of weight was 4 years ago. I meal prepped regularly, made sure I was more careful with my portions, ate better quality food, and added some movement to my daily routine. However, I started to slip a little at a time after about 6 months. I started a more stressful job and started to have some issues with my boyfriend at the time, and I just stopped paying attention to what I was eating because I had other things in my life going on. That was 70 lbs ago...

I also feel like I have SO much weight to lose (100+) pounds at this point. It just feels impossible.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    It's not impossible, just start implementing the habits you had last time when you lost weight.
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,574 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Hi @SilverLuma and welcome back to the journey.
    I can so get the frustration of remembering what it was like to have the good habits you need to lose weight (meal prepping, portion control, etc.). You remember what that was like, but you are not that person anymore. I have totally been there.
    I have been fit before, but I started in January with 125 pounds to lose. I am not there yet, but have made big progress. You can, too.
    The thing that worked for me was to start making changes (building new habits) one at a time. I would choose one next thing to focus on, and then make that the ONE thing I was committed to doing -- the "if I do this, I have made progress toward health" thing. And each thing was a small do-able thing.
    Since eating is what drives weight loss, I started by adding actions related to eating. So after I started weighing in, the first daily action I worked on was measuring and logging food. At first, if I did just one meal a day, that was a win. Then I worked my way up.
    Don't get discouraged if the scale number doesn't move at first. It took me months to get to where I lost weight regularly. Just keep working on building the habits you need, one by one.
    I found a great video on building new habits last week. Check it out if you have 8 minutes. He talks about the stages of habit building: noticing, wanting, doing and liking. Right now, you are at the start of the process. Nothing is wrong! You just have more to do!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_nzqnXWvSo
  • SilverLuma
    Options
    This is great! Thanks so much. Love the video.
  • noodlesno
    noodlesno Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    So I started (again) in April with 115lbs to lose. Seemed an impossible task at the time, however, it is now Dec and I am down 80lbs. It has been tough but it has been totally worth it, mentally and physically. Having a purpose has been amazing.

Remember, time is your friend. Some days there will be gains and some days there will be losses but as long as over time you are moving in the right direction, that is all that matters.

Don't give up...You have got this!
  • OhioViking79
    OhioViking79 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am in the same place you are. Medical issues, time and stress has piled back on the pounds I lost 6 years ago, and I am back, heavier then I started out the first time. I am determined however to get it done. Again. Feel free to friend me if you would like for some mutual support! :)
  • SilverLuma
    Options
    noodlesno wrote: »
    So I started (again) in April with 115lbs to lose. Seemed an impossible task at the time, however, it is now Dec and I am down 80lbs. It has been tough but it has been totally worth it, mentally and physically. Having a purpose has been amazing.

Remember, time is your friend. Some days there will be gains and some days there will be losses but as long as over time you are moving in the right direction, that is all that matters.

Don't give up...You have got this!

Wow! Congratulations! That's amazing 😊.

I think I'm just afraid I won't get results like I did when I was 5 years younger and I'm kicking myself for letting my weight get back up so high again. But I have to remind myself that I DEFINITELY won't get results if I don't try.

Seeing so many successful people on this website gives me comfort and shows that it is never too late to get started again. I just have to keep reminding myself of that.
  • SilverLuma
    Options
    I am in the same place you are. Medical issues, time and stress has piled back on the pounds I lost 6 years ago, and I am back, heavier then I started out the first time. I am determined however to get it done. Again. Feel free to friend me if you would like for some mutual support! :)

Sent you a friend invite 😊
  • fupthesides
    fupthesides Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Sent you a friend request.
    I have 100+ lbs to lose. Last time I lost almost 60lbs and I was doing great. Now I am back with health issues and more to lose. *sigh*
  • noodlesno
    noodlesno Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    SilverLuma wrote: »

Wow! Congratulations! That's amazing 😊.

I think I'm just afraid I won't get results like I did when I was 5 years younger and I'm kicking myself for letting my weight get back up so high again. But I have to remind myself that I DEFINITELY won't get results if I don't try.

Seeing so many successful people on this website gives me comfort and shows that it is never too late to get started again. I just have to keep reminding myself of that.

Actually I have found I have better results this time as I have no lost any of the learnings from the last time round. I know what worked and what didn't. You can do this...all you need to do is start and just log one day at a time. X

• jameier76
    jameier76 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi SilverLuma, my name is Jennifer and I too have just restarted my journey of weight loss. I also need to lose 100lbs and I need daily motivation and encouragement. I have always lost some weight and find I get frustrated when results seem to take forever. I have already lost 11 lbs. I want this time to be forever life changing and that I'm never this heavy again.. I hope you'll feel free to message me when you're frustrated with your journey. I'm a good listener (reader). I am cheering you on. Best of luck!!!
  • SilverLuma
    Options
    Sent you a friend request.
    I have 100+ lbs to lose. Last time I lost almost 60lbs and I was doing great. Now I am back with health issues and more to lose. *sigh*

We can do this! It is so disheartening starting over especially with more to lose than the first time, but I feel really motivated right now, and the community on here is really helpful :smile:

I think I've definitely developed skills to be successful, I just need to stay focused and motivated to do it which is the hardest part.

One step at a time.
  • whatalazyidiot
    whatalazyidiot Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Same! I am re-starting tomorrow, thanks to the advice from people on here. I also have over 100 lbs to lose (120). I actually feel much better having talked it out and gotten different perspectives, so I think sometimes just saying "Ok I need to do this" is a step in the right direction. Feel free to friend me!
  • D_812
    D_812 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Glad to find you! I'm in the boat. All of the replies to your post are encouraging. Friend me too if you like.
  • OHFlamingo
    OHFlamingo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I had 100 pounds to lose. I am playing a game with myself, and it's working. All I have to do is lose 10 pounds, 10 times! I have lost 46 pounds, so I am on my 5th 10 pounds to lose. May sound silly, but I KNOW I can lose 10 pounds, and I reinforce that knowledge each time I lose another 10. I also keep something hanging in my bedroom, either a favorite old thing, or occasionally something new, in a size smaller than I am. It nakes me feel so good to be able to fit into it, and then I go through my closest and find lots of "new" old things to wear, and hang up another "too small" item. Right now I have a pretty sparkly ✨ Christmas top I will be able to wear for Christmas; I sure couldn't last year when I bought it on sale. Good luck; you can do this!
  • SilverLuma
    Options
    Same! I am re-starting tomorrow, thanks to the advice from people on here. I also have over 100 lbs to lose (120). I actually feel much better having talked it out and gotten different perspectives, so I think sometimes just saying "Ok I need to do this" is a step in the right direction. Feel free to friend me!

That's definitely a step in the right direction!
  • SilverLuma
    Options
    OHFlamingo wrote: »
    I had 100 pounds to lose. I am playing a game with myself, and it's working. All I have to do is lose 10 pounds, 10 times! I have lost 46 pounds, so I am on my 5th 10 pounds to lose. May sound silly, but I KNOW I can lose 10 pounds, and I reinforce that knowledge each time I lose another 10. I also keep something hanging in my bedroom, either a favorite old thing, or occasionally something new, in a size smaller than I am. It nakes me feel so good to be able to fit into it, and then I go through my closest and find lots of "new" old things to wear, and hang up another "too small" item. Right now I have a pretty sparkly ✨ Christmas top I will be able to wear for Christmas; I sure couldn't last year when I bought it on sale. Good luck; you can do this!

That's a great idea! I actually have TWO Christmas sweaters that I'm so sad I can't wear this year. I may put the larger of the two up for inspiration :smile: