same size.... weigh more

Options
hi,

i have been on mfp for many years but only last year decided to take it seriously tracking food and excersing and managed to recah my goal in about 10 months or so, in the past 4 months i'm still excersing (running mostly) and not much has changed in the food area.

i'm still wearing the same size clothes, but i have put on 2-3 kg dependeing on the day that i cannot seem to lose, i know its not much weight but it has me a bit disconcerted as i had kept constant weight of 60 kg for almost a year.

any ideas of what maight be happening??

TIA.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if you're the same size, i wouldn't worry.

i am a few lbs heavier than i used to be but in smaller clothes than i 'should' be at this weight. i take that as a good thing!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Did you slack off tracking your food? it could be weight creep from you eating a bit more over time.

My clothes would still fit me fine if I were to gain 2 or 3kg but personally I wouldn't want to let any weight creep continue because they would probably lead to another 2 or 3kg...
    but on the other hand if you are lifting heavy and possibly seeing muscle gains hence your size being the same then there's no need to worry either. Its your call :smile:
  • geri1geraldinesuzanne
    geri1geraldinesuzanne Posts: 125 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    i'm still logging my food and still having my weekly cheat meal, although i may not be as strict as th beginning i mostly keeping under my calorie goal.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,059 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I can weigh anywhere in a ten pound range and still wear the same clothes. I even have some jeans from when I was 20 pounds heavier. Belts work. :)

If you're close to a good BMI, then accuracy is really important if you want to lose any weight. When I got into maintenance, it was just as important since I tend to let portion sizes creep larger, or I neglect to log everything or I start having more treats and figure, "Eh, I am in maintenance." Digital food scale. Well vetted choices from the food database (a lot of them are way off) and eating as many home prepared meals as possible were the things I tried to do. Back to the basics.

It's really common for people to regain some weight in that first year due to just relaxing their eating a bit too much.

• bigbandjohn
    bigbandjohn Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    hi,

i have been on mfp for many years but only last year decided to take it seriously tracking food and excersing and managed to recah my goal in about 10 months or so, in the past 4 months i'm still excersing (running mostly) and not much has changed in the food area.

i'm still wearing the same size clothes, but i have put on 2-3 kg dependeing on the day that i cannot seem to lose, i know its not much weight but it has me a bit disconcerted as i had kept constant weight of 60 kg for almost a year.

any ideas of what maight be happening??

TIA.

Perhaps muscle buildup? Muscle takes less space, but has more mass. That could explain it. Important thing is you are about the same size. That's good.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Weight is fussy and highly variable. Are you using any kind of weight trend app or similar?

You could be seeing some recomp benefits, but the numbers you posted make me skeptical...
  • geri1geraldinesuzanne
    Options
    i've only used mfp, i've tried other apps at the same time but find mfp to be the most complete although i do agree that alot of the food database is way off.

i suppose i'm mostly dreading xmas coming up, there will be lots of temptaions and worried if i don't get those couple of kilos under control, i may lose the plot. :#:#
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,059 Member
    Options
    Yeah. The holidays are tough.

Keep logging, regardless. Then when the dust settles in January you'll have a start point with good data.

One day at a time, do the right things and you'll be able to get back at it. I gained 5-7 pounds every winter in the first three years and had to re-lose that in the Spring. I finally got tired of that yo-yo and started being more careful all winter.

You know what to do.
  • bigbandjohn
    bigbandjohn Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    i've only used mfp, i've tried other apps at the same time but find mfp to be the most complete although i do agree that alot of the food database is way off.

i suppose i'm mostly dreading xmas coming up, there will be lots of temptaions and worried if i don't get those couple of kilos under control, i may lose the plot. :#:#

Holidays were tough for me last year. I totally understand. The trick for me was not denying, but controlling. A small treat within your maintenance calorie budget a couple days during the holidays may slow you down, but shouldn't derail you.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options

Keep logging, regardless. Then when the dust settles in January you'll have a start point with good data.

One day at a time, do the right things and you'll be able to get back at it. I gained 5-7 pounds every winter in the first three years and had to re-lose that in the Spring. I finally got tired of that yo-yo and started being more careful all winter.

You know what to do.

Same here, I used to have winter regain of 4 or 5lbs so I've been doing the same, keeping cals in check all year round to avoid weight creep. This is my 3rd winter of being more careful and no regaining happening - just the way I like it :smile:
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,648 Member
    Options
    This may not apply to you, but a bit of regain can happen over a period of months, just from changes in daily activity (NEAT), and people sometimes don't think about it.

Examples: Finish college where over walks to class, quit waitressing job, get office job. Move from 3rd floor walk-up where one walks to shop, to nicer first floor place that requires driving to stores. During cold season, take the bus instead of walking, and read or watch TV instead of gardening and playing outside. Any of those can be hundreds of calories a week.

Even more minor things can make a difference as they add up over time. 50 calories a day, theoretically, is well over 2kg in a year.

Your 3kg in 4 months is a little under 200 calories a day. That's not invisible change, but it wouldn't take a huge amount of reduced daily activity plus increased intake through more-approximate tracking to get there.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options

You know what to do.

I moved in with my OH Fall 2016 and gained weight the first two winters. I am determined to not let that happen this winter.