Day 1. Need support and encouragement.

Options
mjc8080
mjc8080 Posts: 30 Member
Just starting today on mfp. My weight and blood pressure are high. Need to do this for me. It gets overwhelming thinking about counting And not just eating whatever/ whenever. Any advice or encouragement to get me through these next several days would be awesome! Thank you.

Replies

• managerdawn6
    managerdawn6 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    One day at a time. If you focus on each day instead of the totality of what you want to accomplish it won't seem so overwhelming. I myself have to lose over a hundred pounds and lost 14 thus far. Only weigh in once a week and don't beat yourself up if you don't lose as much as you want at first. Baby steps. Slow and steady wins the race. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!
  • bigbandjohn
    bigbandjohn Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    The first 3 weeks are hard. It will take time for you to adjust. How much do you need to lose? How much are you trying to lose a week?

Everyone is different. What worked for me may not work for you. I went extra strict and loosened up along the way to a more comfortable pace. You may want to start small and work your way up.

I am around 290 lbs gone, and I know how much better I feel. How is your sleep? I had a C-PAP when I was heavy. I no longer use/need it. I will say depending on how much you need to lose quality of life will become a huge factor in continuing the journey.

As for counting, can I assume you have the app on a phone? Make sure before you eat to log your food. That's what I do. Heck, I am to the point that even on vacation I was logging. That is the habit you need to get in. Once you are in the habit it becomes second nature and part of your routine.

There is a saying. It takes 21 days to start a good habit. It takes 1 day to break it. Work hard and the reward will be the improvement in the quality of your life.
  • Homemaker15
    Homemaker15 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Great advice. Dont give in when you feel you've misstepped as Dori says " just keep swimming" lol
  • mjc8080
    mjc8080 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    @ BigbandJohn- I have about 160 pounds to lose. I am setting my weekly goal at 2 pounds. I also wear a cpap due to my weight and have high blood pressure. Need to just ditch any doubts and do it finally. I dont want to wait for jan 1st as a new years resolution. I am stRting today and am not going to toy w the idea of doing atkins or low carb as I’ve tried that numerous times and cant stick w eating like
    That forever.
  • CindyJNC1963
    CindyJNC1963 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Just remember that it is a marathon and not a sprint. I started about two months ago with 138 lbs to lose and I've lost 28 lbs so far. Just track what you eat and try to get moving a little. I was a true couch potato....but actually took a 2 1/2 mile walk yesterday. I also have a CPAP machine and take high blood pressure medicine. I'm hoping to be rid of them one day.
  • bshelley5
    bshelley5 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am restarting myfitnesspal. I am looking for a group of people who want to check in frequently as to support one another. I need accountability.
  • toniannrivera
    toniannrivera Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just started to use the app about a week ago and have already shed some weight. It’s so helpful and really puts it into perspective how much good food you really can have. One day at a time!!!